The TRUE Squishy's Monster Bag Project

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Unholypimpin

Re: Squishy's Monster Bag Project

Post by Unholypimpin »

The glitch dimension looks cool and unique, the rest of the stuff looks meh. try adding more unique attacks to monsters, rather than generic attacks.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I'd just like to say that I never explicitly said Squishy was required to reply - I just said it'd be critical how he decides to respond. And yes, not replying is a response.
Squishybrick

Post by Squishybrick »

I'm currently working on boss monsters, which I'm still deciding if they will be implimented in MAP11-13, or in some sort of arena-like levels afterwards.. But here's the data on dimensional boss monsters...

They will be in the form of archviles, colored by what dimension they are in, AND they still share the dimension traits, even being bosses. (ex. tough dimensional boss will have 2x more health than regular boss and will be slow and reflective)

They will have 3 different attacks..
1: A spray/general attack; The monster spams a semi-weak projectile at you.
2: Special ability; This varies with the monsters by dimension. (ex. HyperMaster has a ninja-spam ability)
3: Spawn attack; The monster shoots 2 projectiles that each turn into 3 dimensional souls of his type.. They usually end up getting in both your and his way..

I can only add so much decorate detail as an excuse to procrastinate mapping for so long until there's just no more room for what I call improvement, so don't be worried about the project being slowed down..
Lolazer

Post by Lolazer »

If people are using mental illness as an excuse, they don't have the mental illness.

I have Asperger Syndrome, but that doesn't effect what I type on a post or in an email. You and I both have a backspace key, a delete key, or whatever you decide to use to delete typos and other mistakes.

For instance, I'd like to call you a fucking cunt.

Now, that wasn't quite harsh enough. So, I would backspace until I got to the "fucking", and type in cocksucking, and also dickheaded. This would make the following insult:

You are a fucking cocksucking, dickheaded cunt.

Now, you could have prevented me from using the backspace to edit this simple insult and turn it into a long string of mixed profanities, or even prevented the situation rising where I just called you a "fucking cunt", by:

A.Not toying with us. That's all you're doing by, "Testing things out". We shouldn't have to tell you what pisses us off. If it pissed the other people off, by God you should probably just assume that it's going to irk us too.

B.Not claiming to have AS or Autism. That's bullshit. I think you know that no sensible person will fall for that crap. This brings us to back to "toying with us". Except instead of just simply screwing around (like I would admit to doing, with rather bad tact at most times), you now took out a hose and sprayed the damn bee hive.

You're going to get stung. Hard.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Erm, way to revive a week-old issue that most certainly didn't need to see the light of day again.

Do you realize that by stirring up old flames for no real reason other than to throw another match on the fire, you're doing something just as stupid as what started the trouble in the first place?

Protip to all: Don't start trouble unless there's a very good reason to. Doing it just for the sake of reviving a dead issue is not a good reason.
Scripten

Post by Scripten »

I was seriously tempted to wait a week, and then reply by saying, "Yeah, that was totally unnecessary." :P
Squishybrick

Post by Squishybrick »

Again, I am still asking for some map suggestions, if anyone has any ideas they'd like to toss my way of some creative after-story maps.. Once I'm done with the mapping portion the only suggestions I'll be taking will be stuff like difficulty control and what-not..
Ribo Zurai

Post by Ribo Zurai »

I have a map idea. "Paradox Dimension". Normal monsters, flickering around all the time, like if sudden teleporting.
koverhbarc

Post by koverhbarc »

Squishybrick wrote:Again, I am still asking for some map suggestions, if anyone has any ideas they'd like to toss my way of some creative after-story maps.. Once I'm done with the mapping portion the only suggestions I'll be taking will be stuff like difficulty control and what-not..
I think you should focus on the maps you've already started. Suggestions from other people can't make a good map by themselves, and honestly you already have a decent unifying idea.

Here's some other suggestions though:
- Add some detail to your maps, preferably not just as an afterthought. This may be hard to learn, but just look at some maps you like.
- Make gameplay more varied than just the concept. Since you like coding, use ACS scripting to good effect.
- As to difficulty, making it a little harder than Doom2.wad is a good suggestion.

I don't pretend to be a good mapper myself, my only effort is at http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... 95&p=54082 . Right now I'm focusing my effort on writing my own renderer, which is a large task.
Squishybrick

Post by Squishybrick »

koverhbarc wrote:
Squishybrick wrote:Again, I am still asking for some map suggestions, if anyone has any ideas they'd like to toss my way of some creative after-story maps.. Once I'm done with the mapping portion the only suggestions I'll be taking will be stuff like difficulty control and what-not..
I think you should focus on the maps you've already started. Suggestions from other people can't make a good map by themselves, and honestly you already have a decent unifying idea.

Here's some other suggestions though:
- Add some detail to your maps, preferably not just as an afterthought. This may be hard to learn, but just look at some maps you like.
- Make gameplay more varied than just the concept. Since you like coding, use ACS scripting to good effect.
- As to difficulty, making it a little harder than Doom2.wad is a good suggestion.

I don't pretend to be a good mapper myself, my only effort is at http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... 95&p=54082 . Right now I'm focusing my effort on writing my own renderer, which is a large task.
I already foretell a pile of controversy being caused by this, but it's better if I just be honest...

I have basic ACS scripting experience, AND COULD spice up my maps with some scripting, except for the fact that Doombuilder 2 does not give you access to editing a wad's script... The first doom builder did (Doesn't anymore), but for some reason, the second one only lets you MAKE an ACS script.. It doesn't automatically fuse it to the wad like 1 did.. So if you're gonna reply to this particular paragraph, do so in the form of a way I can somehow put said made script from doombuilder 2, in my wad, instead of raging about how ignorant I am, or about how I said you would rage about how ignorant I am and how that offends you, or about how that I said that me saying how I said you would rage about how ignorant I am and how that offends you, offends you, or about- *ect to infinity*.

As for detail, I plan on doing that after I've made all my maps completely.. I take map building kinda like drawing in a way.

As for difficulty, I've already stated the wad's difficulty is like a jagged roller coaster ride from the abyss, I suppose in the end I can even it out, but as for being challenging, it already is... Sometimes..

And as for map suggestions, I'm not adding any more dimensions (I've almost ran out of colors and don't wanna push my luck).. When I say I want map suggestions, I mean maps that go along with the story, but perhaps during or after the "Doom demons join the fun" part.. Something that would be
particularly fun for the player...

As an after-remark, I'll take this opportunity to mention how I've essentially replaced the old favorite shotty with a new weapon, the "Plasma gun"..
Basically, it's a plasma gun, but fires fairly slow, and does good damage. Beta testing it with a buddy of mine showed it is a very great and balanced weapon, so
I went ahead and made it part of the basic weapons you get during each level (Along with the shotty/machine gun).. I know it doesn't sound as exciting as I think it does, but I'm eager to see how people react to it when I release the wad..

Ah!.. That reminds me!.. Being on this forum and asking for ideas is great and all.. But.. How would I go along getting a few private beta testers to try out my wad, thus giving me a 500% more detailed suggestion on what needs to be changed, taken out, or added?.. Or.. Is that bad to want that?.. Iunno, fill me in.

EDIT: (Cheap excuse for procrastination here -->) The reason I've been stuck on making map 11 for quite a while now is because I caught a bug that was going
around my house and it's been wreaking havoc on my throat and nose for about a week...
koverhbarc

Post by koverhbarc »

Squishybrick wrote:I have basic ACS scripting experience, AND COULD spice up my maps with some scripting, except for the fact that Doombuilder 2 does not give you access to editing a wad's script... The first doom builder did (Doesn't anymore), but for some reason, the second one only lets you MAKE an ACS script.. It doesn't automatically fuse it to the wad like 1 did.. So if you're gonna reply to this particular paragraph, do so in the form of a way I can somehow put said made script from doombuilder 2, in my wad, instead of raging about how ignorant I am, or about how I said you would rage about how ignorant I am and how that offends you, or about how that I said that me saying how I said you would rage about how ignorant I am and how that offends you, offends you, or about- *ect to infinity*.
There's no need for the drama. You could just ask politely in the proper forum for how to do scripting with DB2 - or else just use DB1 to write your scripts. I only use 1 myself, so don't know.
As for detail, I plan on doing that after I've made all my maps completely.. I take map building kinda like drawing in a way.
Perhaps for totally abstract levels this will be OK, but if you're trying to represent any real place I would think it better to add the detail while each area in is your mind and not rush through it later. However, it seems that your wad is meant to be totally abstract.
As for difficulty, I've already stated the wad's difficulty is like a jagged roller coaster ride from the abyss, I suppose in the end I can even it out, but as for being challenging, it already is... Sometimes..
Difficulty doesn't need to be totally even, but should not vary too much. There should not be more than a few levels you can beat 'in your sleep' on UV, and obviously there shouldn't be any you can't finish at all on UV. This is one of the things beta testers would give you feedback on.
Ah!.. That reminds me!.. Being on this forum and asking for ideas is great and all.. But.. How would I go along getting a few private beta testers to try out my wad, thus giving me a 500% more detailed suggestion on what needs to be changed, taken out, or added?.. Or.. Is that bad to want that?
I don't know. You probably won't get any now, just release something (either the whole thing or a large part) and hopefully you'll get some feedback on it.
Squishybrick

Post by Squishybrick »

You could just ask politely in the proper forum for how to do scripting with DB2 - or else just use DB1 to write your scripts. I only use 1 myself, so don't know.
That WAS me politely asking for how to apply DB2's dislocated scripts into the wad, and like I said, the guy who made DB took off ACS support for DB1, so it can't make scripts anymore..
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Perhaps for totally abstract levels this will be OK, but if you're trying to represent any real place I would think it better to add the detail while each area in is your mind and not rush through it later. However, it seems that your wad is meant to be totally abstract.
I prefer making abstract maps, and, though I hate repeating myself, I'm not really into making the map pretty because people like pretty maps, this of course
is disrespectful towards critics, but like I said, this project is simply a product of my free time, I had no reason or purpose to make this, and only until I made this thread do I have barely any now.. Also, though a poor reason, I purposefully made the theme of crashing through strange abstract dimensions because they don't demand a lot of detail.. You're not supposed to see neat architecture, windows, or fancy buildings in a dimension where humans never existed, granted I WILL add detail in the end, consisting of more cracks in the floor, thing decorations like more trees or stalactites, and so forth..
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Difficulty doesn't need to be totally even, but should not vary too much. There should not be more than a few levels you can beat 'in your sleep' on UV, and obviously there shouldn't be any you can't finish at all on UV. This is one of the things beta testers would give you feedback on.
Like I said, that's what one of my buddies did for me... A few times.. Then he got tired and won't do it anymore.. :(

Sheesh, I sure do end up saying "Like I said" a bunch of times... :|
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

:?:
Squishybrick

Post by Squishybrick »

Yeah, that's DB2 ACS editor alright... The one I said makes a dislocated script apart from everything whenever you save it.... Er, well.. It still does that..

Um... I guess I'll ask again.. How do I get the dislocated scripts into my wad?
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

Oh, sorry, misread.

Are you using the lightning bolt icon? That's the compile button.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”