The TRUE Squishy's Monster Bag Project

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Squishy's Monster Bag Project

Post by wildweasel »

I'd just like to leave one last message here: squishybrick's continued involvement with these forums depends very heavily on his response to both Xaser and Bouncy's posts. That is all.
koverhbarc

Post by koverhbarc »

I can't see that Squishy has done much wrong - yeah, he doesn't communicate that well, but not everyone does. Though his strange reply may have defended the right to be a jerk, I don't think that that constitutes being a jerk itself, nor has he insulted or disparaged anyone here. While I have to admit that I don't understand his attitude, I say that it's pretty natural to adopt some kind of hostile stance when your experience with social interaction, as his apparently has been, is one of repeatedly being ganged up on for (to him) no apparent reason. I wish that wouldn't happen here because he really is putting in an effort to try to contribute something. I looked at this video and honestly it doesn't seem that bad - there's no technical issues and the difficulty seems reasonable at least; also, he's indicated that he does want to get better unlike many other authors of shitty mods (we just had one), so I suspect his final version should have more detail and original content.
Caleb13

Post by Caleb13 »

Just out of pure curiosity: how does this Official Board Warning looks like? It is some red warning text which the offender sees in his/her profile?
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

Considering that I suffer autism myself, I kinda wonder sometimes where the mentality that such diseases can actually work as an excuse for being annoying, arrogant, and being generally rude. While I've had my stupid moments, I've never considered trying to use it as an excuse to be rude.
darkhaven3

Post by darkhaven3 »

InsanityBringer wrote:Considering that I suffer autism myself, I kinda wonder sometimes where the mentality that such diseases can actually work as an excuse for being annoying, arrogant, and being generally rude. While I've had my stupid moments, I've never considered trying to use it as an excuse to be rude.
As someone with AS, I appreciate this post.
Nightfall

Post by Nightfall »

darkhaven3 wrote:
InsanityBringer wrote:Considering that I suffer autism myself, I kinda wonder sometimes where the mentality that such diseases can actually work as an excuse for being annoying, arrogant, and being generally rude. While I've had my stupid moments, I've never considered trying to use it as an excuse to be rude.
As someone with AS, I appreciate this post.
As one with AS as well, I concur.
(and then this thread turned into a quote pyramid)

I've met lots of people on the internet. None of them have guessed me having AS without me explicitly telling it by myself. It's no excuse.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Bouncy wrote:Frak you and EVERYTHING you represent. Your vile, insipid outlook on things is not only repulsive and detestable, but it reflects poorly on the rest of us who are socially inept, too!
Heh, nice to see I'm not the only one who actually types the wordfilter replacements. :D

@koverhbarc: He really hit a nerve there. I think a lot of us on this forum have seen way too many guys who use this excuse on the Internet and for those who actually are diagnosed or at least do identify with those disorders, or regularly have to deal with such people, it's a pretty vicious insult whether the culprit means it that way or not.

It's also on top of having been pretty defensive throughout this thread and I think it's been grating on people for a while now. I was pretty damn close to responding like Xaser or Bouncy myself, regardless of what I thought about the quality of the mod (regarding which I stand by my previous comments here).

Squishy's had (depending on how you count) two or three very polite responses to his solipsist crap and I think getting angry is entirely reasonable.

EDIT: I think we can compare examples of perceived rudeness from people on the spectrum and see just how bad this "I'm a grating asshole because I'm autistic" excuse is. A few things I've observed:
  • (n/a on a forum) interrupting conversations when it's not "your turn" to speak, without good reason such as the other person about to go on a long-winded explanation of something you've been told a dozen times already
  • (related to the above, and applicable on a forum) regularly going back to discussing wherever your own train of thought went to, despite the conversation having gone somewhere else (and you're not deliberately doing this to try to force the conversation around or passive-aggressively indirectly show your disapproval of the current direction of the conversation, two things I personally do a lot and fully admit to being rude in doing, but only for a good cause :D)
  • speaking at an inappropriate volume (failing to use an "indoor" voice - prob. not applicable to Internet though for a comparison you can listen to neurotypical and spectrum people alike talking on the phone or voice chat where they can't look at the other person's face to see if they've heard them or not)
  • insisting on "the rules" of something without expressing a deep understanding about what the rules are for (I thought Antonin Scalia was like this until I realized he was just a disingenuous right-wing hack)
None of this requires being subjectively hostile to everyone around you.

@Caleb/Weasel: My understanding is, given the previous page, that Weasel's Official Board Warning is just in plain text. However, I would be quite happy to see this changed (e.g., like RPGnet where all mods type in red when they're speaking as a mod) but given the amount of activity on these forums I doubt it's necessary.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

There is some sort of official board warning system, but I'm not sure how it manifests itself in the forum software. I've managed to avoid finding out somehow... but that's really only because they didn't have it installed circa 2004. :P

At any rate, what Insanity said is more or less what set me off. It pains me when I see someone trying to use a condition as a "get out of jail free" card -- that's not what it's for, and trying to do so is a disservice to everyone else who's in the same boat.
Squishybrick

Post by Squishybrick »

Xaser wrote:
Squishybrick wrote:Well, all that aside, here's my 2 cents in rebuttal...
Dear Squishybrick,

cake you.

Being a random internet stranger myself, I really can't speak for any condition or situation you may or may not have, but the mere fact that you're utilizing them as an excuse to not attempt to treat people like human beings is a serious slap to the face to anyone in a similar situation who is actually trying to live well. Your attitude is the most disgusting and vile one I've heard of in a long while, and the fact that you yourself realize this and consciously choose to continue entertaining such psychotic notions is a level of misguidedness I won't even fathom. Continuing to act in this way is never, ever going to do anything more than stir flames and bring arbitrary, needless, pointless, and completely-uncalled-for rage in everyone you come in contact with.

Please do everyone a favor: The next time you consider entering any new community with this particular attitude of yours, don't. Fix it. And leave here, while you're at it.

I'm only responding to this because wildweasal said I had to..
==Please believe me when I say this, because I mean it with absolute complete 100% honesty...==

W-wooow!... You just perfectly described my point of view on how all YOU act towards ME! Supposedly normal people judging my slight banter as psychotic really
blows my mind at how people who say such things still consider themselves in some position above my own (Being as low as I am in their opinions).. I know exactly what you were TRYING to say though, and NO, I DON'T purposefully justify my whimpers of oppression as an excuse to lash out at people I think don't deserve human treatment..

What you get from me is HOW I treat humans.. Nobody needs to take anything I say seriously.. I'm like this in rl, ol, ofl, or any other cybernetic reality..
And don't go flying off the handle thinking I assume "How I treat humans" is right, which is what any "normal" person in your opinion would do...
I've already said I know what I do is wrong, and that I DO attempt to correct myself... I'm just not as quick on the draw on most when it comes to that
department... I don't ask for slack... I don't ask for understanding.. I just ask that you stop calling me such names and continue with the project suggestions..

I'll end my plea for a little info on troll-bait...

Troll-bait is a person who sub(or not)consciously angers people through saying things people don't accept/want to accept/are simply angered by..
Now with a regular troll, it's all too obvious why he angers people, so there's no reason to reason with him...
But with troll-bait, they never know why people around them hate them so much, so they don't feel a reason to stop talking.. Now if people tried describing WHY said troll-bait angers people, he can specifically stop saying/doing that thing, and continue on.. But, sadly, hence the 2nd part of the name "bait"... Troll-bait, is bait... For trolls.. Calling me troll bait, and watching me being heckled by all these "normal" people.. Well.. It isn't hard to do the math...
But KNOW that I will make no accusations of such, I merely said, "do the math"...

I can already predict people will quote parts of this out of context and heckle me more.. But I am trying to be sincere and do not want conflict, contrary to very popular beleif.. All you have to do is say, "When you say things like "quote" people get angry, so do not say things like that, and we're cool"... That's all.. Simple.. That way, if I repeat my mistake, you have proof that I'm at fault here for doing it on PURPOSE disregarding a spoken mini-rule.. Can we agree to that?..

Props for koverhbarc for explaining my issue better than I ever could in my position.. Hope they don't all turn on him all the sudden for siding with me... No really.. The responses given, I would not be surprised...
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Vaecrius wrote:It's also on top of having been pretty defensive throughout this thread and I think it's been grating on people for a while now.
Last edited by Matt on Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Squishybrick wrote:W-wooow!... You just perfectly described my point of view on how all YOU act towards ME!
How so? We weren't preemptively attacking anyone. An angry response can be justified if there's reason for it -- it wasn't in your case.
Squishybrick wrote:Supposedly normal people judging my slight banter as psychotic really blows my mind at how people who say such things still consider themselves in some position above my own (Being as low as I am in their opinions)..
Position has nothing to do with it. It's an attitude thing -- you're not "lower," it's your attitude that is, and that's something that can (and should) be changed. Not to say that any of us are perfect (that'd be a rather silly claim), but that doesn't mean that nobody's capable of recognizing that someone else is on the wrong track.
Squishybrick wrote:I know exactly what you were TRYING to say though, and NO, I DON'T purposefully justify my whimpers of oppression as an excuse to lash out at people I think don't deserve human treatment..
Then just don't bring it up. It only becomes a problem if you make it a problem. Keep in mind that there are many users in this community and the next that are in the same boat as you but get along just fine.
Squishybrick wrote:What you get from me is HOW I treat humans.. Nobody needs to take anything I say seriously.. I'm like this in rl, ol, ofl, or any other cybernetic reality.. And don't go flying off the handle thinking I assume "How I treat humans" is right, which is what any "normal" person in your opinion would do...
That's the problem: you're not making any attempt to change how you treat anyone, which is dangerous if you are indeed at a point where you realize that it's not a good thing.
Squishybrick wrote:I've already said I know what I do is wrong, and that I DO attempt to correct myself... I'm just not as quick on the draw on most when it comes to that department...
What gets me is that you acknowledge this but make no attempt to work around it. You basically came out of nowhere and said "I'm hostile towards everyone. I know it's a problem. But I'm going to do it anyway because it's what I always do." That sort of thing won't work anywhere.
Squishybrick wrote:I don't ask for slack... I don't ask for understanding.. I just ask that you stop calling me such names and continue with the project suggestions..
Just be cool from here on out and that's exactly what'll happen.
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

Well, I'm just gonna comment on the monsters.

I think the green pinkies could stand to be a different shade of green, maybe something less bright? Perhaps toning down the saturation, and making them more of a sickly green.

Similar for the blue imps. What might be neat is if you put in more detail on the monsters, like giving them a mottled complexion, or giving them scars from when they were reassembled from parts, etc
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

Currently, they look like they've been done via translations. So unless Squishy were to do 10 edits of Imps & Demons [which is unlikely] that doesn't seem like it's going to happen some time soon.
Squishybrick

Post by Squishybrick »

I plan on taking a bomber's approach to editing progress.. I'm just gonna fly over the general area till all of the regular stuff (mapping) is done, and I know my territory well..

THEN I'll swoop around for the precise work of bombing (Completing) the important areas.. (mechanics, details, ect.)

In which case, Any suggestions towards future maps or map suggestions will be met and accomplished alot faster than mod suggestions, which I'd wrather not have to take time to seek out after a long time.. So save 'em up!

PS: Yes, they were ALL translations... Sprite editing is a process I don't even wanna touch... I'll save that for higher-class mod fanatics, I don't have that kind of time..
darkhaven3

Post by darkhaven3 »

Squishybrick wrote:I'm only responding to this because wildweasal said I had to..
You could have just not responded at all, which arguably may have been smarter than writing up the debacle that is the rest of this post
Squishybrick wrote:W-wooow!... You just perfectly described my point of view on how all YOU act towards ME! Supposedly normal people judging my slight banter as psychotic really
blows my mind at how people who say such things still consider themselves in some position above my own (Being as low as I am in their opinions).. I know exactly what you were TRYING to say though, and NO, I DON'T purposefully justify my whimpers of oppression as an excuse to lash out at people I think don't deserve human treatment..
I'm not sure what to make of this snippet really, it makes pretty much no sense lexically, but if you're saying what I think you're saying, you're wrong. You're not being oppressed, and you are an asshole.
Squishybrick wrote:What you get from me is HOW I treat humans.. Nobody needs to take anything I say seriously.. I'm like this in rl, ol, ofl, or any other cybernetic reality..
According to your header at the top of this post, we should be taking this post 100% seriously because it is the absolute truth from your heart. If that is the case, and that is really how you treat other people, I'd say it's safe to assume you were meant to be taken seriously in your prior posts as well.

And trust me when I say I take it very fuckin' seriously when you claim that since you're a shut-in, you should have free reign to do whatever the hell you damn well please, and you shouldn't have to attempt to improve yourself and your habits when interacting with other people, online or not. I am offended that you are sticking to excuses and bullshit when you know full well where that path is going to lead you.
Squishybrick wrote:And don't go flying off the handle thinking I assume "How I treat humans" is right, which is what any "normal" person in your opinion would do...
Victim troll; ignore
Squishybrick wrote:I don't ask for slack... I don't ask for understanding.. I just ask that you stop calling me such names and continue with the project suggestions..
Squishybrick wrote:I ain't hostile towards people giving good advice, I'm hostile towards people in general, because I'm severely socially inept, and basically a shut-in.. (Not by choice)
It sounds like you're trying to appeal to an audience with this snippet; I'd have to say you were implicitly making a plea for slack/understanding

I'll end my plea for a little info on troll-bait...
Squishybrick wrote:Troll-bait is a person
Wrong already; ignoring rest of paragraph
Squishybrick wrote:I can already predict people will quote parts of this out of context and heckle me more.. But I am trying to be sincere and do not want conflict, contrary to very popular beleif..
I'm sure you'll claim I'm using statements out of context too, just for the purpose of blame-shifting or some other, but w/e
Squishybrick wrote:All you have to do is say, "When you say things like "quote" people get angry, so do not say things like that, and we're cool"... That's all.. Simple.. That way, if I repeat my mistake, you have proof that I'm at fault here for doing it on PURPOSE disregarding a spoken mini-rule.. Can we agree to that?..
Despite what you'd believe by the way the moderation team acts sometimes, ZDF is not in fact full of children (okay maybe NeuralStunner and Graf Zahl but that's about it). It's not that hard to think about what you're typing and use the backspace key if it sounds like it'll piss everyone off.
Squishybrick wrote:Props for koverhbarc for explaining my issue better than I ever could in my position.. Hope they don't all turn on him all the sudden for siding with me... No really.. The responses given, I would not be surprised...
If I could choose one person in the world I would not want to side with me in an argument, it would be Graf Zahl. In second place, koverhbarc

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”