The TRUE Squishy's Monster Bag Project

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Squishy's Monster Bag Project

Post by Matt »

Squishybrick wrote:Quick question, if I update semi-essentials parts of my wad and want to announce/say it, do I do so by re-editing my thread? Or do I do so in a post in my thread?.. Or do I just not do either unless it's more than a 10% change?..
I've always both bumped and edited. But what XW said (unless it's one of those mods that basically gets developed through being fine-tuned :D)

EDIT did I mention this mod looks downright terrifying D:
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Watching that video almost induced seizures, to be honest. I generally don't say anything negative about other's stuff, but I can assure you if You did release this mod in this state, with the flashing between full-bright and total darkness in one of the maps, and the map made completely from HOMs, you're in for a very bad review from just about any doom player. I definitely recommend reevaluating your design decision before releasing this mod.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

So... many... bright... colors... eyes... h..ur..tsssssssss........
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Eriance wrote:...you're in for a very bad review from just about any doom player. I definitely recommend reevaluating your design decision before releasing this mod.
Or just make it very clear from the get-go that this project is radically different from any normal Doom fare. Like, "The Sky May Be" radically different.
Squishybrick

Post by Squishybrick »

XutaWoo wrote:Yeah. Only something major like retooling the maps to not look 1994-ish or changing the gimmick of the wad would really be worth noting for something like this.
Well, 2 reasons why neither of those things will happen also explain a lot more beyond my project.

1. I purposefully use a basic mapping system, because that's just how I make maps.. It's not really that I choose to, or because I like it that way, it's just
how I subconsciously see maps in my mind that I make. (In other words, no extra pizazz can/will be added)

2. I don't make projects for people, I make them because I have too much free time.. Which demeans the thread's purpose, I know, but I got tired of
making stuff and not letting anyone look at it, afraid of noobs taking it apart and/or criticizing my poor map/decorate skills...

That being said, Matt's suggestions are impossible to do from a person of my mapping caliber. (Except for the 4 different sizes dimension, but I can't say I like that idea..)

The only suggestions I'll take are maps to be created possibly to add to the story (ie. maps after "The final Battle"), or as bonus maps created after the story purely made for enjoyment and abuse, (Which I already have 2 or 3 bonus maps in mind) and, small feature changes/requests, like more/less pickups in some
levels, because lemme tell ya, the difficulty ramp is very jagged on my wad, one map you're thinkin' "Wow, this is too easy", next map you're thinkin' "Wow, this is fail, lame mega OP monsters..."

That is all, now back to work on the chrono dimension, which won't have fog, like the thread says...
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

Just don't whine when we tear it apart, then. ;)

Though, some things, like the difficulty curve, could just be fixed by rearranging the level order. Really wouldn't be too hard to do, so I recommend do that in the least.

Also, I finally took a look at the video. The Death dimension is actually the best looking one, due to all the apparant changes, but could use with less completely pitch black parts. The Glitch dimension could use less HoMs, since they can end up causing the player to get completely lost. The Demi dimension looks completely pointless, and you seem to know that as you simply run past all the monster after a certain point. Also, if you're having trouble with detail, simply add some more textures, windows, some pits with stairs to the exits, more doors, etc. It's not hard to make your maps look plain rather than like shit. Hell, even the intentionally shitty looking one is better looking because of the amount of variety...I think. I couldn't really tell, due to all the HoMs.
Squishybrick

Post by Squishybrick »

"The Glitch dimension could use less HoMs, since they can end up causing the player to get completely lost. "
That's the point, the player is supposed to have a hard time getting through.

"The Death dimension is actually the best looking one, due to all the apparant changes, but could use with less completely pitch black parts."
It's very hard to calculate and set up the lighting to where it's dark enough to barely see, but not too dark.. The reason being my fancy "makes-everything-super-bright" moniter, and my doom settings.. I'll work on that..

"The Demi dimension looks completely pointless, and you seem to know that as you simply run past all the monster after a certain point."
You are correct, the future of the map is the same shape of the map itself. (Two sea-shell-like spirals) I might work on that later, but the trade-off
to fighting through all that mess is getting ammo for the demi-gun, and basicly all other dimensional guns.. The level basicly serves as a dimensional gun
super ammo depo.

"Also, if you're having trouble with detail, simply add some more textures, windows, some pits with stairs to the exits, more doors, etc. It's not hard to make your maps look plain rather than like shit."
We clearly have 2 very different opinions on the word shit.. I won't be the one whining when I release it, because like I said.. This is not FOR the people, it's just a collaberation of features put into a wad I'm showing off.. Y'all can whine about how horrible it is till your blue in the face.. I'm just showing something I created, and taking notes from the waterfall of tears people produce to try and make better suited maps for, what can sometimes be called the public..

"I couldn't really tell, due to all the HoMs."
By the way, I don't know what HoM means...
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

a HOM is 'Hall of Mirrors', the oldest of doom bugs caused by a missing lower or upper texture, or misplaced line segments.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Can you even get HOMs in GZDoom? I only ever see the checkerboard where there's a missing texture...

Nonetheless, I for one encourage Squishy to keep this up. If even Hideous Destructor managed to get a small following then surely the forums have room for this. :D
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Vaecrius wrote:Can you even get HOMs in GZDoom? I only ever see the checkerboard where there's a missing texture...
You can, the texture has to be "-". Anything else that doesn't exist will be replaced by checkerboard.
Squishybrick

Post by Squishybrick »

Sad news.. XWE ATE my whole wad... Luckily, I kept a pretty recent backup of it in a secluded folder...

The only progress lost was the chrono dimension, which was 48% done, and the making of a dimensional boss... The guns are still there, and so are the chrono monsters and chrono data..

I know it isn't much for news but whatever, I'm picky like that...
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Squishybrick wrote:Sad news.. XWE ATE my whole wad... Luckily, I kept a pretty recent backup of it in a secluded folder...

The only progress lost was the chrono dimension, which was 48% done, and the making of a dimensional boss... The guns are still there, and so are the chrono monsters and chrono data..

NEVER EVER use XWE. Use Slade or Slumped. Both of them have similar GUI and won't fudge up your wads.
Squishybrick

Post by Squishybrick »

Eriance wrote:
Squishybrick wrote:Sad news.. XWE ATE my whole wad... Luckily, I kept a pretty recent backup of it in a secluded folder...

NEVER EVER use XWE. Use Slade or Slumped. Both of them have similar GUI and won't fudge up your wads.
... ...Too.. ... Bad?..
I always ALWAYS use xwe... I've never heard of a program called slade or slumped.. But my gut tells me they're crap anyway, so don't try promoting it here...

*smirks, sitting back waiting for the overflow of angry nerd comments that I won't bother reading seriously.* 8-)
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Squishybrick wrote:I always ALWAYS use xwe... I've never heard of a program called slade or slumped.. But my gut tells me they're crap anyway, so don't try promoting it here...
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Yup, I'm an angry nerd. :roll:

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”