Unloved II [BETA1 released]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Captain Ventris

Re: [WIP] Unloved II

Post by Captain Ventris »

Megamur wrote:"Boo" scares are lame, I agree. While I was technically more startled by Ghoul's Forest than Unloved, it's only because Ghoul's Forest likes employing REALLY LOUD SOUND EFFECTS, which is a cheap, easy way to startle the player. The oppressive, suffocating, prolonged tension of Unloved was much more enjoyable, and I'm glad you're going to stick with that style.)
Megamur

Post by Megamur »

A good way to put it. It's easy to make a person jump.
Davidos

Post by Davidos »

Megamur wrote:"Boo" scares are lame, I agree. While I was technically more startled by Ghoul's Forest than Unloved, it's only because Ghoul's Forest likes employing REALLY LOUD SOUND EFFECTS, which is a cheap, easy way to startle the player. The oppressive, suffocating, prolonged tension of Unloved was much more enjoyable, and I'm glad you're going to stick with that style.)
THANK YOU!

Jesus Christ, it's hard to find someone that shares that opinion, most retards go like 'OMG NO WEY JOOZ SAID DAT' when I say something like that about most 'look at us we're so scary -boo- ' mods... for example, that Crysis mod everyone finds so scary, I walk through it in a breeze, the BOO scares are bloody lame and they are also an instant game over.
So screw that,

I loved the atmosphere in Unloved, still love it when I replay it to test some o' my home brewn mods, it inspires me in writing stories and making art as well.
Cyanosis

Post by Cyanosis »

Terror = 10 seconds effective.
Horror = stays with you even after you've turned the game off.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Actually, a better way of looking at it...

Fright: Momentary fear based on a sudden scare.

Terror: A deeply rooted dread that can have many causes, from being chased by an axe murderer to being utterly alone in the dark.

Horror: Fear mixed with disgust, like seeing an eviscerated corpse.

Unloved has all three, thankfully the first is kept to a minimum and actually plays up to the second. (I.E. the scene on the stairway to the power room.)
Captain Ventris

Post by Captain Ventris »

NeuralStunner wrote:Actually, a better way of looking at it...

Fright: Momentary fear based on a sudden scare.

Terror: A deeply rooted dread that can have many causes, from being chased by an axe murderer to being utterly alone in the dark.

Horror: Fear mixed with disgust, like seeing an eviscerated corpse.

Unloved has all three, thankfully the first is kept to a minimum and actually plays up to the second. (I.E. the scene on the stairway to the power room.)
The first leads into the third, and contributes to / is presented against a backdrop of the second. ;)
Ænima

Post by Ænima »

I creamed. :O
TheMistress

Post by TheMistress »

Ænima wrote:I creamed. :O
That's...kinda disturbing you know..?
Anyways, i love the way the screens look =o, any beta's soon :3: ?
Cyberdemon531

Post by Cyberdemon531 »

I'm excited.
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

One of the things that would've made perfect the 1st unloved, would've been adding some extra feeling into it. What I mean, is that it does create a mood thanks to the music, the levels, everything, but at the end, I felt I was playing just levels with extremely good ambiance.

Not necessarily true, just my opinion:
Spoiler:
This is the 1st doom project that makes me want to see some history behind it :P
Cyanosis

Post by Cyanosis »

I generally like how open ended it was, I ultimately just related everything to myself, as in my own personal Hell. It wouldn't look too far off.
ETPC

Post by ETPC »

Oh my god, HELL YES. Unloved is like my favorite wad. Everything about it was just amazing.

As for interpretations of what it all means, hell, we could make a whole thread about that.
Polymental69

Post by Polymental69 »

Hope its not too late to speak out. The first Unloved was awsome but it got even better when I randomly tried to play it through with the Psychic mod installed. Just to give it a try.
The gameplay remained insanely hard since the new monsters didn't drop coins at all and the old ones were scarce. So you have to choose what to buy wisely until the very end. No total overpower out there like when you play Psychic over original Doom levels.
Surprisingly it didnt ruin the atmosphere as well. The "magical" powers look just in place out there and give it a Clive Barker's Undiying feel. It's nightmare after all. Why not?
So what I have to say is why not combine the efforts? You just have to work over some rough balance edges, make the spell/weapon graphics more suitable for a horror game (the later Psychic energy and rocket weapons look a bit out of place), work out a better way of buying powerups instead of just pulling them out of thin air (then again it's nightmare), change coins for souls/blood/anything more fitting and you get the best f****n' mod out there.
After all it solves both your problems. Unloved definitely deserves something less doomesque and more complex for a gameplay and Psychic needs suitable levels.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Apparently posts left in approval queue retain the date they were composed, not the date they were approved, so I'm bumping this to make sure Polymental's post is noticed.
Grymmoire
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Grymmoire »

Eh...no because then you would need Psychic to play Unloved, and while it is a good gameplay mod that needs maps. I'd rather have Psychic get maps specific for Psychic.

Unloved is its own thing, requiring a specific gameplay mod to play it would be disappointing.

Return to “Levels”