Official ZDoom Community Rules [revised May 8 2021]

We sure do have a lot of rules and guidelines threads - find them all here, and please make sure you've read them! Also, community-wide announcements (that aren't major ZDoom News) go here as well.
enderkevin13

Re: Official ZDoom Community Rules [revised Mar 14 2016]

Post by enderkevin13 »

It's hard to find good Goldeneye MIDI, because some of it sounds weird and downbeat.
Rules are rules though :P
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

enderkevin13 wrote:It's hard to find good Goldeneye MIDI, because some of it sounds weird and downbeat.
Rules are rules though :P
Did you not read my post, though? All you need to do is give credit to whoever composed it.
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

And what about classic movie themes? Say, if someone is doing a Star Wars themed mod, it is okay to use the said movie OST? And if not, remixes are accepted?
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

jdredalert wrote:And what about classic movie themes? Say, if someone is doing a Star Wars themed mod, it is okay to use the said movie OST?
Using the actual songs in their original form is legally sketchy at best.
wildweasel

Re: Official ZDoom Community Rules [revised Aug 12 2016]

Post by wildweasel »

The General Guidelines have been updated with one new rule and one clarified old one.
Revised rule wrote:Please don't post just to be posting. If you're replying to a discussion, make a few points of your own. Don't just reply with "I agree" and nothing else - tell people why you agree. If you want to start the conversation yourself, think about whether your post can be built upon. The forums are not Twitter; you can say more than ten words per post. In fact, if your post is less than 10 words long, please consider whether it adds anything to the topic, and if it doesn't, don't post it.
New rule wrote:If you want to change your name, wildweasel is the person to contact. Before you ask, though, please be absolutely certain that you really want your name changed, and that you won't want to switch back in a week. It is worth noting that people can find your old name by finding any old posts of yours that other users have quoted. Also, don't assume that changing your name is going to clear you of any bad reputation or embarrassing events in your past.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

Just curious, while real gore is not allowed in mods, are there anything that says about narcotics, are there some lines for it?
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

I don't really see it's worth writing a rule about it.
wildweasel

Re: Official ZDoom Community Rules [revised Nov 13 2016]

Post by wildweasel »

In light of recent events, the Mandatory Rules have been updated.
ZDoom is not a religious/political debate platform anymore. Because we've had big problems with users coming to blows over religious and political issues many times in the past, we've decided that it's better that nobody discuss them at all. If you want to talk about your day at church, you might be okay. Similarly, declarations that "I voted!" are probably also okay. But serious political and religious debates usually end badly, with many users getting warned or banned for poor behavior, so any threads that attempt to start such will be closed on sight.
I'm sorry if this has spoiled your plans for this weekend.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Sometimes it's just sad to see that people don't want to even try and see things from a neutral point of view instead of taking far left or right sides. It's not that hard, man. This is why we can't have nice things. :?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Lud wrote:Sometimes it's just sad to see that people don't want to even try and see things from a neutral point of view instead of taking far left or right sides. It's not that hard, man. This is why we can't have nice things. :?
People are raised in different ways by different parents/guardians throughout their lifetimes. And even after they have left their parents' homes they will sometimes seek others for moral compass.

It's just the way they are. We can't force people to be accepting, or to be open-minded. When you attack a person's morals, no matter how diplomatic you are, it upsets them because these are beliefs they LIVE BY. Someone telling you that your very own moral compass is wrong is very upsetting. Even more so when it is someone you look up to and respect.

That is why politics and religion cause such fierce arguments. Everyone "knows" they are right. All you can do is stand for what you believe in, and silently reject those that don't. They are still good people at heart, they may just have different views that you don't agree with - but that's okay, if you're talking about maps and sprites and mods and gameplay mechanics none of that matters. You can just choose to avoid them on a more personal level, as I often do.

You can be friendly to someone without being friends. That's always the best way to go with someone you don't see eye-to-eye with. And for many tasks and projects - they likely still make a very valuable collaborator, and you would be denying yourself and them an opportunity if you dismissed that.

An addendum: I notice a lot lately that there are an increasing number of movies, books, games, and TV shows that confront social issues. I think this is a good thing. It does confront these beliefs without causing a huge debate - and the person playing them can either choose to see it through (and see the consequences of bad behavior first hand) - or get so disgusted with it they turn it off. Despite being fictional, sometimes citing and/or recommending these can be helpful in a discussion, even on both sides.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Eruanna wrote: It's just the way they are. We can't force people to be accepting, or to be open-minded. When you attack a person's morals, no matter how diplomatic you are, it upsets them because these are beliefs they LIVE BY. Someone telling you that your very own moral compass is wrong is very upsetting. Even more so when it is someone you look up to and respect.
Upsetting or not the problems always come when people cannot accept that others may not share their morals and try to impose them by force.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Graf Zahl wrote:Upsetting or not the problems always come when people cannot accept that others may not share their morals and try to impose them by force.
Yes. In droves.
Siggi
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Siggi »

wildweasel wrote:Staff Members Emeritus - Thank you for your past service
  • Siggi
:cheers:
Was good. :)
BFeely
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by BFeely »

With the ZDoom forums (and website) migrating towards HTTPS would it be wise to recommend that users only embed content with HTTPS, to avoid mixed-content advisories (for images) or blocking (potentially for YouTube)?
As a note, imgur URLs can use https protocol and so does YouTube by default now.
These days the overhead for https is quite low, and resources can be cached just like in legacy http.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

I'm unsure this is worth imposing an actual rule about, considering I would imagine it'd only serve to confuse a lot of the users (hell, I'm not even entirely sure about it)...I haven't even seen errors about it yet. I'll keep it in mind if it becomes a serious problem, though.

Return to “Rules and Forum Announcements”