(released) Alkylation - Episode 1

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Dynamo

Re: (released) Alkylation - Episode 1

Post by Dynamo »

It's decent. As everyone pointed out the monsters are overpowered. If you could make them less powerful this would be way better.
Caleb13

Post by Caleb13 »

Dynamo wrote:It's decent. As everyone pointed out the monsters are overpowered. If you could make them less powerful this would be way better.
Actually, I have no problem with the fact that the monsters are tough. I can handle that. But I simply hate the current fad (?) that every WAD has to include custom monsters and custom weapons. Two or three replaced monsters are okay, but what is the point of replacing all of them? That's not "Doom mod", that's more like "total conversion".

Not to mention that replacing the SSG is practically blasphemy. SSG made Doom 2 so much more fun. Removing it is like downgrading back to Doom 1.
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

I'm not sure if it was just me, but it seemed like the weapon that had to do a fancy charge-up sequence (SSG replacement I think) was actually weaker than the regular weapons.. Its agonizingly slow firing rate made it feel rather useless to me in any case.
Ravick

Post by Ravick »

Well, i've just finished it, and thought it is badass.

I prefer very much dark and heavy atmosphere mods then hit and run, but i rly enjoyed this one. The very beginning, however, with all those zombies, was a little too hard for a start. The chaingun guy was the only enemy I think is rly too tough. I died too many times shooting those bastards guys and they just did not die!

I liked the fast projectiles. It forces player to be 'immersed', made it as intense as the dark atmospheric mods. And also forces player to be smart, because only hit and run wont be enough sometimes.

IMO, using new monster and other stuff is cool. I thought it was very better then face the saaaaame enemies once again. Its amolst a new game. The plasma shotgun is very good. That need-to-recharge effect was very nice. i'd just prefer that, once one shotgun has it, the other shotgun has used it as well.

The shotgunguys seems to be shooting at the wrong frame, or maybe it was just a false impression. The music of map 4 is rly odd, man. There is something wrong w that. And... that chaingunner hidden at those guts/tripe pillar was a sonofabitch trap! :p

Edit: Ammo is ok, but there is REALLY low medikits, man!

It was great, imo.
TheDoomGuy

Post by TheDoomGuy »

The Plasma Shotgun isn't good at all. 9 times out of 10 I was using the regular shotgun. You should up the damage... or change the sprites... or both. Hey, y'know, I could change the sprites and make them cooler/Doom-ier, if you want.
PFL

Post by PFL »

I have 3 levels completed so far; Perfect for me. I feel in a 2012 doom mod, I like what I see and LOVE what I need to confront; these monsters are probably 20% tougher than the normal ones. Once you get that, you adjust, you wake up and beat the Hell out of it ... It could be MUCH harder before I freak out. Sunder was tough, this ... well, challenging. But armed with the chainsaw, I become the danger =:) . I already feel this is better than many of this year's Cacowards (including unfinished project !?!). Anyway...

EXCELLENT

EDIT: DONE. Talk about a final. 3 thumbs up. Hope you make some more. I had too much ammo and health for the journey but it was major fun. Found every secrets (maybe too easy) and would have appreciated a stronger weapon for the final, as it got long for nothin'. I did not use the plasma charger; too long to recharge, small effect. Could get it stronger, maybe. Bravo...
UltimateLorenzo

Post by UltimateLorenzo »

Thank you all for your comments.

The main problem here is enemy&weapons. I always find difficult to balance it. Some people found it difficult, but many other people managed well the new features and enjoyed the wad.

Do you think can it help:

* lowering a little the health of the enemy?
* lowering the speed of the enemies fires?
* adding one more powerful weapon, so that player can have something strong to use? [so you don't have to use only the plasma shotty]
* adding more health here and there?

@thedoomguy: yes, please, can you do it?
Ravick

Post by Ravick »

IMO, lower the monsters health will make it very very better (mainly zombies), but, please, don't make them slower! D: Nor their projectiles!
Caleb13

Post by Caleb13 »

@UltimateLorenzo

IMHO all you need to do is to remove that plasma shotgun and give back the SSG. Or at least increase plasma shotgun's power, so it produces the same damage per shot as SSG. At the same time, you can increase its cell consumption, so you won't have to edit the cell pack numbers in maps.

The nailgun should also be more powerful - the way it is now, it feels more like "another chaingun, but with slow and inaccurate projectiles" than useful weapon.
PFL

Post by PFL »

Implement a difficulty settings so that the NORMAL version get to stay and another one for... weaker Doomer :D
UltimateLorenzo

Post by UltimateLorenzo »

PFL wrote:Implement a difficulty settings so that the NORMAL version get to stay and another one for... weaker Doomer :D
I'm not sure it is possible to implement enemies&weapons characteristics via difficult settings... 8-)
BouncyTEM
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: 2280 Lol Street: The Calamitous Carnival (formerly Senators Prison)

Post by BouncyTEM »

Yes it is. Mapinfo supports custom difficulty settings and you can replace objects with other ones in those, too.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Caleb13 wrote:IMHO all you need to do is to remove that plasma shotgun and give back the SSG.
Agree, the plasma shotty is borderline awful IMO. It takes too long to fire, it doesn't do much damage, the nature of its attack means that it doesn't alway connect very well with the target (wasting ammo and time) and the projectiles don't even seem to appear in a logical place compared to the ofset HUD sprite that is supposed to be firing them. Either bring back the SSG or make a better replacement.

I liked the nailgun, the mod, overall, was pretty fun and the maps held my interest. I agree that the enemies could do with a bit of tweaking but I didn't find them excessively problematic. A nice little map set that, with a bit of massaging, could be a very nice little map set. :)
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I do support the removal of the SSG, but yeah, buff the plasma shotgun or find a better replacement.
Ravick

Post by Ravick »

Hum... and if the plasma shots were smaller and more powerfull? (Just an idea :) )

Return to “Levels”