[WIP] Project MSX - Beta 2 (v0.2a) July 22, 2013 Update!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
LostSkull

Re: [WIP] Project MSX - Beta 2 (v0.2a) July 22, 2013 Update!

Post by LostSkull »

High jump uses the suits power but if you're cocking a grenade you'll deplete the shield battery as well
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

i'm pretty sure you can dash during a high-jump, too. didn't MSX post a video of them doing just that, on a level from Deus Vult II?
LostSkull

Post by LostSkull »

I know I did in Unloved, in the level named "Living Room" where you supposed to clear an area of enemies so a wall can rise and you can proceed, after taking the yellow key card.
I hi-jumped over that puny wall by simply dashing after the jump ^_^
Ionosphere-Negate

Post by Ionosphere-Negate »

everamzah wrote:
TheDarkArchon wrote:
everamzah wrote:I think it would be really fun and interesting to have the dash ability usable mid-air.
It's already usuable mid-air. Hold a direction and tap run in mid air. However, it won't slow your descent in anyway.
I didn't realize that you can use the dash during a normal jump, so thank you for that. However, upon testing I see that it is indeed impossible to dash from a high-jump. I wonder if this is because the high-jump uses shield energy, but doubt so because it only uses a small fraction.
No, you can absolutely do an air-dash from a power-jump. The power-jump should only use suit energy, not shields.
submerge

Post by submerge »

Did anyone ever scrape up a Doom Builder config file for this game yet?

Also, I hope this mod is coming along well!
NilkadNaquada

Post by NilkadNaquada »

Hey, I downloaded Project MSX and ran it in GZDoom, and it runs fine and everything (And is super neat :D I love the effect evolution of the gameplay from twin-stick shooter style to tactical and cover-based without the addition of contextual bull or the loss of the speed and fun of the gameplay) except for the fact that it won't let me reload at all. When a weapon would run out of ammo, it would just click empty when I tried to use the fire button for automatic reload, like I do in most mods that add limited clips, so then I tried manually reloading by setting reload to R and hitting it, but that woulnd't work either. I tried mapping reload to a few different buttons, and none of them worked. Is there a fix for this?
User160971235

Post by User160971235 »

NilkadNaquada wrote:I tried manually reloading by setting reload to R and hitting it, but that woulnd't work
Project MSX has it's own reload function, found at the bottom of the Customize Controls list. Make sure that you are binding your key to that one, and not the GZDoom reload function.
NilkadNaquada

Post by NilkadNaquada »

Dreadflame wrote: Project MSX has it's own reload function, found at the bottom of the Customize Controls list. Make sure that you are binding your key to that one, and not the GZDoom reload function.
Thanks, that solved the problem and allowed me to enjoy this fantastic mod.
Doomguy5th

Post by Doomguy5th »

Once I have seen the first beta of this mod, I haven't replied for such a long time, due to how epic this mod is, and I really enjoy playing this mod. I LOVE THE AI for every monster, pretty good in my opinion! The weapons are just pure awesome! And now, I'm wondering how you get those player abilities to power slide. I can't wait for the next beta, and I LUV THOSE SOUNDZ IN UR MOD!!!
Onar4241

Post by Onar4241 »

Hey man.

I played your mod for a few hours and I have to say it wasn't quite what I expected. I saw all those aggressive comments in here and decided to download this when I realized it was a Halo clone, with inspirations from modern game design, uber-realistic particle effects and other stuff like this.

I really doubt you know in what game you are modding, and because I don't know what's going here and everyone is that aggressive, but this is Doom. Doom should be simple, ridiculous and gory, but this mod just removes everything from Doom and makes me feel I'm playing a different game. I played some other mods too like, Real Guns Advanced, Brutal Doom, and a few others and all of them just remove all of Doom's signs and taking Doom into a way too serious level with uber-realistic, futuristic effects, over-powered levels and incredible annoyance of reloads etc.

Get all mad you want, but this is just completely ridiculous.

I would like to note what can change here and make this into a real Doom mod, but because I'm not a modder myself and because it will also take this mod into a completely different level, I will not.

Sorry man, but I'm an incredible Doom lover and I would hate Doom to change that much. From me you have a thumbs down.
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

Onar4241 wrote:Hey man.

I played your mod for a few hours and I have to say it wasn't quite what I expected. I saw all those aggressive comments in here and decided to download this when I realized it was a Halo clone, with inspirations from modern game design, uber-realistic particle effects and other stuff like this.

I really doubt you know in what game you are modding, and because I don't know what's going here and everyone is that aggressive, but this is Doom. Doom should be simple, ridiculous and gory, but this mod just removes everything from Doom and makes me feel I'm playing a different game. I played some other mods too like, Real Guns Advanced, Brutal Doom, and a few others and all of them just remove all of Doom's signs and taking Doom into a way too serious level with uber-realistic, futuristic effects, over-powered levels and incredible annoyance of reloads etc.

I would like to note what can change here and make this into a real Doom mod, but because I'm not a modder myself and because it will also take this mod into a completely different level, I will not.

Sorry man, but I'm an incredible Doom lover and I would hate Doom to change that much. From me you have a thumbs down.
A mod that doesn't play like DOOM? Oh my god, it's almost like it fits the definition of a mod.

And seriously, if all you're expecting is vanilla doom with some sprite swaps, why are you even bothering to look here? Go take your elitism somewhere else.
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

Onar4241 wrote:...I really doubt you know in what game you are modding... ...this is Doom. Doom should be simple, ridiculous and gory... ...I'm not a modder myself...
These are the highlights that pretty much explain to me that you don't seem to get the point of modding. Mods, short for modifications, change the game. We only get mods when we grow tired of the way the game was originally designed. Just because this mod is actually more of a mod than others doesn't mean it's done in poor taste. It just doesn't match your own. Your opinion can be a valuable asset to modders looking to improve a product for others, but when you find the mod itself is the issue your opinion becomes a useless critique. You'd do better to find something you enjoy and leave mods like ProjectMSX for those who appreciate it to enjoy it.

I, personally, thought this mod was incredible when I first discovered it, but I have to agree that it became too Halo-like for me to enjoy long term. But I recognize that as my opinion, not really a valid critical analysis for improving this mod. It basically comes down to whether you like the idea in the first place. Saying "I don't like it." in so many words is still just "I don't like it."
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

I just like jumping and punching things, often to the detriment of not using firearms enough and getting my ass shot. But thankfully there's a mod that caters more to my tastes now... Something that puts melee weapons first and foremost, while offering ranged weapons for those situations where melee just can't do it.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Onar4241 wrote:I really doubt you know in what game you are modding, and because I don't know what's going here and everyone is that aggressive, but this is Doom. Doom should be simple, ridiculous and gory, but this mod just removes everything from Doom and makes me feel I'm playing a different game. I played some other mods too like, Real Guns Advanced, Brutal Doom, and a few others and all of them just remove all of Doom's signs and taking Doom into a way too serious level with uber-realistic, futuristic effects, over-powered levels and incredible annoyance of reloads etc.

Then please don't play any of my mods, because you are guaranteed to hate all of them.
GhostKillahZero

Post by GhostKillahZero »

Onar4241 wrote: Hey man.

You just joined 2 days ago (a little tardy of you for the forums), bumped a thread (which isn't always necessary) and judged how bad this mod is (which is also not necessary). Don't be an douche just because this mod doesn't fit in the classic-doom style category and is too realistic for that matter (which I don't mind at all because this mod seems alright to me). :p

Return to “Gameplay Mods”