cyberdemon player - third person [test]

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Woolie Wool
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux, Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: cyberdemon player - third person [test]

Post by Woolie Wool »

MONKET wrote:why does the cyberdemon hump out rockets daddy
It has an explosive cock launcher. It must be Skulltag's fabled heat seeking wood!
Hellser
Global Moderator
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

I'd post the classic Picard Facepalm, but I'll be spammed to hell and back, so.

Dude, the only thing I can really worth mentioning is.. nothing. Using a first-person view with a monster sprite for a weapon to achieve a third-person chasecam effect is.. *facepalms* I can't explain it. I just can't, and to agree with the other people that mentioned, it does look like he is shooting heat-seeking wood.

Now, as mentioned earlier, use ACS to achieve chasecam, or don't use chasecam at all and create some sprites to make it look like you're actually playing an imp, demon, zombieman, cyberdemon, which ever. I know there is a mod out there that has imp hands.

So, bottom line is; creative.. but dumb.
Woolie Wool
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux, Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Woolie Wool »

Creative? The whole play as a monster thing has been done many times before. Ever heard of DeiM? Doom Rampage Edition?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I have to confess I simply don't understand the whole third person genre. Fine if it is completely third person where you control a sprite that moves around a world and the camera is some distance from the player (Crusader: No Remorse etc). That's a totally different kind of game. However, any game where the camera follows the player closely enough for the gameplay to basically be first person - but isn't - simply doesn't make sense to me. I mean, what's the point? It just makes it harder to aim or to see things from the player character's perspective, the player gets in the way, angles are harder to calculate, the camera swings arround disconcertingly... In some games that I have played with this kind of perspective (eg Rogue Trooper), I would find myself deliberately hugging walls to force the camera as close to inside my head as possible. Surprise surprise, when I did this, the game got much better. I hear people saying things like "it's fine once you get used to it" but that still doesn't make sense to me. I know that any game has a learning curve but "getting used" to a cock-eyed system doesn't change the fact that it is a cock-eyed system.

The only excuse I can see for this type of setup is that game makers want the people who play their games to see the "cool" character and all the uber 1337 animations that they have crafted for it. (Well, that and to allow repressed geeks to get their kicks by watching Lara Croft's ass.) Frankly, I'd rather not play a messed up illogical control system just so that a game maker can show off his modelling skills.

And in Zdoom, it is even worse than a game designed to be like this because, even though chasecam can be fine (and fun) for a bit, Zdoom simply doesn't work well in an over the shoulder/behind view.
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

I agree somewhat, and I say somewhat because I loved dead space so much. Some games seem to be able to pull it of (it seems), but most newer games have the damn "realistic" take cover syndrome, where it actually comes in handy. But yes, if there were an option for FPS mode in all these games I would go for it every time.
mathey bu

Post by mathey bu »

Xim wrote:Yeah I know originally it looks like the cyberdemon's rockets shot from his crotch but you're taking it WAY to far in this mod. At first I thought you were just made a bad mod, but after this I'm starting to think that you're trolling.

Then again, you could just be unaware that it looks like he's literately humping out rockets, in which case you should fix that. Also fix the gun, it takes like five-ten seconds for him to shoot a rocket.
a normal cyber demon delay to attack, personally I'm
needing someone to help me, someone who can use decorate to make improvements and special effects

can someone help? someone that knows the problem and can help to fix!
Xim

Post by Xim »

mathey bu wrote: a normal cyber demon delay to attack
Okay, well that why not have it shoot a three-round burst then, like a normal cyberdemon. Or have it look like a normal cyberdemon instead of the Doom 3 one? Or why...oh nevermind...
mathey bu

Post by mathey bu »

if you hold the fire button, he can fast fire more rockets!
Blade3327

Post by Blade3327 »

You guys seem a little hard on him.
lol, I almost can't believe all this happened in one day.

I'd say it's an okay start, but still could use lots of changes. I'd recommend using just a plain old rocket. Don't edit the rocket trail or anything like that, just use the classic rocket actor that the rocket-launcher fires out. You can use A_CustomMissile to edit the origin (where it shoots from) of the rocket. That should take care of the crotch issue, and the weird overly-dramatic trails.
Overall, the sprite looks interesting, and I think it's neat how it works in ChaseCam as well as in the normal view (much like Doomero's RE4 soldier). You've made some improvements, so the foundation's decent. Just fix those other issues and you should be fine.

One more thing -- it's clearly not the D3 Cyberdemon. Looks more like it's from Doom 64. In any case, it's not that bad. But yeah, it has its problems. Easy to fix, though.
mathey bu

Post by mathey bu »

Blade3327 wrote:You guys seem a little hard on him.
lol, I almost can't believe all this happened in one day.

I'd say it's an okay start, but still could use lots of changes. I'd recommend using just a plain old rocket. Don't edit the rocket trail or anything like that, just use the classic rocket actor that the rocket-launcher fires out. You can use A_CustomMissile to edit the origin (where it shoots from) of the rocket. That should take care of the crotch issue, and the weird overly-dramatic trails.
Overall, the sprite looks interesting, and I think it's neat how it works in ChaseCam as well as in the normal view (much like Doomero's RE4 soldier). You've made some improvements, so the foundation's decent. Just fix those other issues and you should be fine.

One more thing -- it's clearly not the D3 Cyberdemon. Looks more like it's from Doom 64. In any case, it's not that bad. But yeah, it has its problems. Easy to fix, though.
so, it's better to remove the trail and put doom64 sounds, i also made a homing effect
DOOMERO-21

Post by DOOMERO-21 »

i tested the wad, well remember me my old re4 hunk, in a fact you make good work with the decorate but the attack animation of the cyberdemon looks strange, is like a pain animation.....
MagSigmaX

Post by MagSigmaX »

My impressions of this wad: Its an interesting concept, but like some people have already pointed out: It looks like this cyberdemon fires rockets from his dick! :shock: he even thrust his hips forward when he does so. I found this was extremely hilarious when I fought another cyberdemon and the other cyberdemon was backwards all the time. I mean... FIrst cybie thrusts his hips and launches his explosive load into another cybie ass. :shock: ... Go figure...

Change the rocket origins, also I think you could switch the cyberdemon sprites from right to left, that way we can see his arm cannon, and it will look like he's actually firing rockets from his weapon rather than his dick. That's my two cents.
.+:icytux:+.

Post by .+:icytux:+. »

i actually thought it was pretty cool, just redo the attack frames, and make a new player class with -PICKUP or something so you cant pick up other weapons, its... kinda gay. (or replacing every weapon with nothing would be a better way since then you could also pick up health as with -pickup you cant)
also make it not take any ammo when shooting, as it obviously dosn't for the real cyberdemon.

and dont make it A_Raise, and A_Lower, when you start/die, it looks ridiculous.
mathey bu

Post by mathey bu »

update 2.0

- three rockets launched at same time

- infinite ammo

- now you can beat the cyberdemon monster without bugs

- a_raising and a_lower are removed!

- death state

- jump state

- dynamic lights added!

- rocket height fixed

- added muzzle flash to cyber rocket launcher

link: speedyshare

next version will have:

- sounds

- pain state if possible!
mathey bu

Post by mathey bu »

sorry by double post

the cyber-altfire-light on gldefs is not used!

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”