[WIP] Project: Aurora

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Enjay

Re: [WIP] Project: Aurora

Post by Enjay »

I'm not quite sure why it has taken me so long to try this but now I have and I really like what you are doing here. Keep up the good work. :thumb:
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

Enjay wrote:I'm not quite sure why it has taken me so long to try this but now I have and I really like what you are doing here. Keep up the good work. :thumb:
Thank you. I should modify the OP to better get the vision of Aurora out. . . *does so, and updates the wad*
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Don't know if this has been addressed/pointed out before or not but I have noticed 2 problems while playing through Doom.

There is a problem with the rocket boxes and the ammo they give. I was playing E3M9 and just before the Cyberdemon fight, I picked up the secret rocket launcher, then ran into the cybie arena, ran over a number of rocket boxes and then ran past the cybie to pick up the second rocket launcher and the invulnerability sphere. I shot the cybie 4 times with my rockets and then my weapon autochanged to the pistol. I went back and ran around over the rocket boxes, but couldn't pick any more up. ie, I had an inventory full of rockets but my weapon was empty. I then repeated the above process more slowly to watch what happened. Picking up the launchers gave me 4 rockets (2 per launcher) but the rocket boxes did not add to my ammo for the launcher. My guess is that, in their DECORATE, the new rocket launcher and the old ammo boxes are using different ammo types.

Also, in that same fight, I picked up the invulnerability sphere and saw a common problem with mods such as this: some of the effects were shown as big white squares. If you want the invulnerability (and the GZDoom lightamp) to work properly, you cannot use black as an invisible colour for translucent sprites. If you do, as soon as you pick up a powerup that inverts the palette, the black turns to white and completely ruins the effect. Although, most of your effects do not show this problem so I suspect that you may be aware of this and merely missed one or two sprites.

[edit] Also, I just remembered. This may be deliberate, but shell casings can teleport. I was standing next to a teleport firing the chaingun/gattling gun and a whole bunch of teleport flashes went off beside me as the casings teleported away. [/edit]

This was all with r0008 BTW so some stuff may already have been addressed. I'm downloading r0010 now.

[edit2] r0010 does seem to fix the rocket ammo problem and I *think* the translucency too. The shell casings still teleport though. [/edit2]
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

Thanks for reminding me about the shells/casings. I'll pop out a quick fix for it on the next update (r0011)

As for the 'black square' problems with the invulnerability; I'm doing a sprite hunt right now for explosions. So expect to see that as well in the next update. It also even upsets me to see that bug. Another fix is setting up the invulnerability sphere to use another colormap, probably gold.

But my resources are going out to get some more monster variants.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Hellser wrote:Another fix is setting up the invulnerability sphere to use another colormap, probably gold.
I was going to suggest that but if anyone is using the GZDoom enhanced night vision goggles (which may even be the default IIRC) they will still see the effect because it uses the same inverted palette as the invulnerability sphere to draw some of the sprites.
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

I double checked all the spawning effects with invulnerability, the rockets are fixed, and pretty much everything else is not showing the problem.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

While you're fixing stuff up, the following messages are sent to the console when I start Doom with r0010

Code: Select all

LoadActors: Load actor definitions.
Script warning, "Aurora r0010.pk3:decorate/mn_archvile.txt" line 134:
Unknown class name 'AR_RedFlameImp'
Script warning, "Aurora r0010.pk3:decorate/mn_imp.txt" line 193:
Unknown class name 'AR_ImpSmoke'
Script warning, "Aurora r0010.pk3:decorate/mn_imp.txt" line 194:
Unknown class name 'AR_RedFlameImp'
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

Thanks. I fixed that as well. :)
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

Added a poll for an obvious question. Should Aurora have a separate PK3 file that holds DooM's brightmaps with glow maps (created by virtue)?
jimbob

Post by jimbob »

I like this mod. It feels light and well put together. Can't wait for a new release. :)
Ryan Cordell
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Ryan Cordell »

Hellser wrote:Added a poll for an obvious question. Should Aurora have a separate PK3 file that holds DooM's brightmaps with glow maps (created by virtue)?
And then you bitch at me for Genesis Saga having separate files.. :P
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

Ryan Cordell wrote:And then you bitch at me for Genesis Saga having separate files.. :P
Some wads/maps have new textures or texture replacements. This is probably the only time I'll ever do separate files. I have to manually edit each and every texture that could have a light in the gldefs though. So it's not as simple as just slapping the names of the textures into the 'glow' property. :P
jimbob wrote:I like this mod. It feels light and well put together. Can't wait for a new release. :)
Thanks! A new release might be around the corner as soon as I add more monster variants in and fix a few bugs.
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

Alright. Big question for the community, and will be popping up a poll for this.

I can keep the current hitscan system. Or go with a projectile bullet system (akin to wildweasel's NAZIS). This bullet system, however, will feature a bullet drop (similar to the Battlefield series). The only issue I will have is to get the actors to bleed correctly. What do you guys think? Hitscan or Projectile Bullet System?
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Project Shadowcat »

TSAT for a short time used to use fast projectiles, but I forgot the reason (it was a bug?) but we switched back to hitscan.
I would've loved to see fast projectiles, but if you can get over whatever bugs plagued NAZIS, that would be absolutely sweet.
VicRattlehead

Post by VicRattlehead »

Rocket launcher's secondary isn't expending ammo. Also, could you explain the new difficulty levels?

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”