ULTIMATE SUPER DOOM 3 MOD [RELEASED] + patch 4.9

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
printz

Re: ULTIMATE SUPER DOOM 3 MOD [WIP]

Post by printz »

Does the Doom 3 guy have the same arms as the Doom 1 guy? I'm asking this because the Doom 3 imported hand model-shots seem to fit very well in Doom 1.
bleant

Post by bleant »

Doomero said the wad was 100% done, he's just playing to see if he finds any bugs.
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

Well, it does look better than the last "delivery", but I still have some big issues with it by the looks of the video:

-Insanely huge casings. The Machinegun and Chaingun leave some horrendously huge casings which (as you can see at the beginning of e1m2 in your video @3:03) easily cover the floor making it look bad. Make them smaller. As they are, they look like you could use a single casing as a shoe (9:30).
-The bullet decals looks IMO really bad. Too bright, too red. Apparently is a double decal, but they dont seem to match each other when is about offsets (pause at 9:30).
-The tunnel vision of the artifact looks really weird, and instead of making me enter the "mood", it just blocks the sight while looking bad. I'd suggest use something more similar to this instead of what you have now. As is, for me is a visual detractor.
-This Im not sure of, but by the looks of it, the grenades still suffer from that "throwing" system I hate so much. Is too slow.
-The Soul sphere should be additive instead of just translucent. In that way you get rid of that ugly black around it.
-That grabber "Holding" effect should have some extra additive translucency. Blocks the sight too much.

Now, issues that I cant check, but I'd definitely suggest to fix based in the 4.5 version released last year:
-Fix the buggy reloading system. Sometimes you had to press the key several times in order for the sequence to trigger. That's a big issue.
-The footsteps system. You know what Im talking about. The fist part of this video:
Spoiler:
-Already mentioned, but again, the grenades if they still use the old system.
Finally in big red letters:
Organize the files! Use the Pk3 structure, since you're literally wasting a big amount of address space by just having wads in a zip. A true PK3 structure means removing the wads, and putting all files in their appropiate folders. Not only is better for management, but for performance too. The way you have it in 4.5 is simply wrong, not counting what a nightmare is to try to browse the files. Hear me out, I know about this since in the early days, certain other project of mine was a horrendous mess in the resources organization; is bad for you to try to mod it, and far worse for those who are trying to browse/analyze the contents. If I were you, before releasing anything I would actually organize the files and then release. It will take you a couple days and will actually help in the performance of the mod, while also helping you to remove all stuff that is no longer needed.

I see that you already backported several things from SD3TII and other were expanded as long as due credit is given, Im all fine with that.

I noticed too that you added some new disintegration sprites for the monsters, and I must say that looks much better than what you had. Also, the "charge" effect of the artifact (when it absorbs the soul or whatever) looks much better than in your last video.

But really, before releasing, at least organize the files. Dont take my word, but graf's
Graf Zahl wrote:Well, I'm not surprised that you got problems.

AEOD allocates 500 MB of memory because it just packages tons of huge WADs in a PK3. All these WADs have to be loaded into memory so that they can be used. That means you just wasted 1/4 of your entire application address space!

Now, if you have some background processes running that behave badly and also allocate large amounts of address space (not memory!) you'll quickly reach the point where it no longer works.

Solution: Reorganiza AEOD so that it properly uses the Zip directory structure. Then you'll have magically freed up 450 MB of heap.

I'm not investigating this any further because it's just an extremely bad case of shitty project organization.
bleant

Post by bleant »

OK now, he can fix that later, right now i'm pretty desperate to play this thing.

RELEASING THE MOD FTW!
DOOMERO-21

Post by DOOMERO-21 »

DBThanatos wrote:Well, it does look better than the last "delivery", but I still have some big issues with it by the looks of the video:

-Insanely huge casings. The Machinegun and Chaingun leave some horrendously huge casings which (as you can see at the beginning of e1m2 in your video @3:03) easily cover the floor making it look bad. Make them smaller. As they are, they look like you could use a single casing as a shoe (9:30).
-The bullet decals looks IMO really bad. Too bright, too red. Apparently is a double decal, but they dont seem to match each other when is about offsets (pause at 9:30).
-The tunnel vision of the artifact looks really weird, and instead of making me enter the "mood", it just blocks the sight while looking bad. I'd suggest use something more similar to this instead of what you have now. As is, for me is a visual detractor.
-This Im not sure of, but by the looks of it, the grenades still suffer from that "throwing" system I hate so much. Is too slow.
-The Soul sphere should be additive instead of just translucent. In that way you get rid of that ugly black around it.
-That grabber "Holding" effect should have some extra additive translucency. Blocks the sight too much.

Now, issues that I cant check, but I'd definitely suggest to fix based in the 4.5 version released last year:
-Fix the buggy reloading system. Sometimes you had to press the key several times in order for the sequence to trigger. That's a big issue.
-The footsteps system. You know what Im talking about. The fist part of this video:
Spoiler:
-Already mentioned, but again, the grenades if they still use the old system.
Finally in big red letters:
Organize the files! Use the Pk3 structure, since you're literally wasting a big amount of address space by just having wads in a zip. A true PK3 structure means removing the wads, and putting all files in their appropiate folders. Not only is better for management, but for performance too. The way you have it in 4.5 is simply wrong, not counting what a nightmare is to try to browse the files. Hear me out, I know about this since in the early days, certain other project of mine was a horrendous mess in the resources organization; is bad for you to try to mod it, and far worse for those who are trying to browse/analyze the contents. If I were you, before releasing anything I would actually organize the files and then release. It will take you a couple days and will actually help in the performance of the mod, while also helping you to remove all stuff that is no longer needed.

I see that you already backported several things from SD3TII and other were expanded as long as due credit is given, Im all fine with that.

I noticed too that you added some new disintegration sprites for the monsters, and I must say that looks much better than what you had. Also, the "charge" effect of the artifact (when it absorbs the soul or whatever) looks much better than in your last video.

But really, before releasing, at least organize the files. Dont take my word, but graf's
Graf Zahl wrote:Well, I'm not surprised that you got problems.

AEOD allocates 500 MB of memory because it just packages tons of huge WADs in a PK3. All these WADs have to be loaded into memory so that they can be used. That means you just wasted 1/4 of your entire application address space!

Now, if you have some background processes running that behave badly and also allocate large amounts of address space (not memory!) you'll quickly reach the point where it no longer works.

Solution: Reorganiza AEOD so that it properly uses the Zip directory structure. Then you'll have magically freed up 450 MB of heap.

I'm not investigating this any further because it's just an extremely bad case of shitty project organization.
actualy are not "wads" only 2; the visuals, and other wad only with the "codes": decorate, acs,sbarinfo,decaldefs, etc.

i dont founded any bugs on singleplayer, all works ok, on mp i tested too no bugs too, but i need to said the mp is very diferent from the singleplayer, is more limited, for example, the grabber is only for singleplayer, the script only work for 1 player, the artifact cant use the power "helltime", will be very uncofortable for the players see slow monsters and not using the artifact, but you still with berserk and invulnerability. The soulcube only kill 1 monster and give to all the players health i choose this becuase nightmare is so dificult and for coop this will be a "real cooperative gameplay". Shotgun, ssg, mac and cgun are diferent, only use 1 fire animation, becuase skulltag have some problems with "a_jump". All the monsters can pass the block monsters lines, that make the game more challenge.
zsec machinegun and chaingunner now is visible his bullet attack, also you can evade those, but be carefull, lot of damage you will recive specialy since the skill "pureevil", same thing for spidermastermind....

about some effects, i will check about the grenade and artifact effect, about that effect is very dificult to rip, on a black background, that effect is not visible, about the casings, i forgot to mention were changed, now are more than 2 frames.
Last edited by DOOMERO-21 on Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bleant

Post by bleant »

Well, then feel FREE to release the mod, man, it's going to be awesome, hope to see servers hosting this, when you expect to upload this?
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

You need to calm down and be patient. :?
DOOMERO-21

Post by DOOMERO-21 »

bleant wrote:Well, then feel FREE to release the mod, man, it's going to be awesome, hope to see servers hosting this, when you expect to upload this?
is not simply, is not for "any" wad, ultimate doom is the most perfect wad for play this, since i founded some problems with plutonia or alien vendetta, the "hordes" are the problem. You need to choose a wad without lot of monsters in a map, (more than 200) or maps with lot of cacodemons or forgottens, becuase they spawn lot of actors and sometimes you and friends will be kicked from the server "missed some packets"......remember that, about the realease, i am working the credits i need to put a large list for this....and that take me time.....
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

bleant wrote:OK now, he can fix that later, right now i'm pretty desperate to play this thing.

RELEASING THE MOD FTW!
That's gotta be the most absurd logic I've seen around.
DOOMERO wrote:actualy are not "wads" only 2; the visuals, and other wad only with the "codes": decorate, acs,sbarinfo,decaldefs, etc.
Which is still a hassle. You can just put those lumps in the root folder of the zip, and that's it. Works the same way without forcing you to first open the wad to access those files.

The artifact effect, It doesnt have to be the exact same, but what I meant is that the one you have now with the black borders on the center circle doesnt look good at all. Check the link I put in my previous post, there are 4 very big sprites that you could combine with what you have in order to achieve a better looking effect.
bleant

Post by bleant »

Patch? Uh, okay, i'm a bit anxious... *Pillz*, feels better now, ok, the mod is pretty awesome, but the better it is, the most i will want to play it, i can wait. :3:
DOOMERO-21

Post by DOOMERO-21 »

my friend and beta tester Diegomula sent this video, is the mod on coop, skulltag:

if you see, is very diferent from singleplayer.....
bleant

Post by bleant »

Awesome, nevertheless.
xDFx IRONWING

Post by xDFx IRONWING »

I just have to say that I absolutely LOVE this mod. I have noticed that you forgot some of the monsters though, like the Doom 3 Lost Soul and the Wraith. It's not really a big deal, but it would be nice to see them in later incarnations of this mod.

Good luck!
DOOMERO-21

Post by DOOMERO-21 »

xDFx IRONWING wrote:I just have to say that I absolutely LOVE this mod. I have noticed that you forgot some of the monsters though, like the Doom 3 Lost Soul and the Wraith. It's not really a big deal, but it would be nice to see them in later incarnations of this mod.

Good luck!
the wraith was added to this mod , but the doom3 lost soul no, becuase i like more the roe forgotten looks like the classic lost soul, that is the reazon....
bleant

Post by bleant »

Let me see...

SinglePlayer test... Check.

MultiPlayer test... Check.

Wad done... Check.

YEAH! WIN! Soon the mod will be released, is anyone planning on hosting this .wad?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”