[BETA] Hell Awakened (Zdoom) need testers and feedback

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
death dealer

[BETA] Hell Awakened (Zdoom) need testers and feedback

Post by death dealer »

Hi everyone. New to the forum. Intro done, on with my 5 year long project that is finished(almost) finally.
This is a 32 level megawad made for zdoom with a classical style of gameplay. It may be a beta version, but it is most certianly playable(bugs may be present is some levels). I need feedback on this project. I'm wanting to do a sequel, but if I can't get feedback on this, then I wont even finish this one. It took me a long time and even more effort to make this wad. Countless level losses, well, you get the point. You want to hear more about the wad, not my desperation rant, right?

Anyway, it is a full 32lvl megawad for zdoom, and has on extra enemy at the end. One note about it, it is a large download, due to my stupidity and ignorance.
I put large music files in it, giving it a compressed size of 66.9mb or so. Don't fret, you can just delete the music from the wad. I'd do it myself, but I'm in iraq now so I can upload on the internet we have here, so, cut me some slack, please. It may be too hard on higher difficulties, and if it proves to be too much, please play it on a lower difficulty. I put a ton of effort to make all the settings perfectly challenging for most players. I made all the levels myself and it took me about 5 years to do so. Not much else to say, so on to screenies:

Image Image Image Image Image

Please enjoy my wad if you decide to play it, and FEEDBACK is greatly appeciated!!
http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/1 ... d-rar.html
ShadesMaster

Re: [BETA] Hell Awakened (Zdoom) need testers and feedback

Post by ShadesMaster »

Quite a bit to go through, but I'll give it a run!
Estopolis

Post by Estopolis »

Checked out a few levels on Ultra Violence and I have to say..

Awesome stuff so far.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Startup error:
ZDoom wrote:Invalid data encountered for texture HellAwakened.wad:Texture1
But it runs anyways.
death dealer wrote:Don't fret, you can just delete the music from the wad.
Not an issue: I thought it fit the "something about to jump out at any minute" theme pretty well. Although a couple places I was expecting an ambush, I didn't get one.

So I headed boldly forth on UV.

Map 01: Got through the first section just fine, lots of cover was good. Lots of ammo, made it quite far using just the pistol. (The Shotgun Zombies in the first big room... Argh! I hate those creeps.) Had to switch to shotgun with that nice surprise from the Blue Key room. The Blue Door was another (minor) panic moment. I just retreated: Demons can't climb the stairs near the entrance. Also, the Caco later on was short lived, he got caught in the crossfire during the subsequent melee by the other ambushers. I found the poor bugger already dead when I went back. :lol:

I was appreciative of the Blue Armor in that level too, I was upset when I had to lose the 50-some points left of it for a Green Armor in the stairway of Map02... So then I got my arse kicked. :(

I also missed 1 monster and all 2 secrets in my first run of Map01. Obsession for finding everything says I have got to find those. :wink:

A couple of (minor) critiques, if I may:
- Not many decorative objects. (Where'd all the bodies go?)
- Some of your tall doors look a little funny, the brushed metal UAC doors don't tile well vertically.
- There are no vending machines! :P

Nice work so far though. :)
Darlos

Post by Darlos »

New map wads are always good. I could use some fresh new maps to use along with recent gameplay mods.
death dealer

Post by death dealer »

Ok, thanks to the feedback on the wad, I've decided to give it the updates it needs. Giving it another run-through, I've found and corrected even more errors in the wad, so watch out for those. Also, some elements of the gameplay design doesn't fit quite as well as I had hoped, as if you see yourself trapped, don't dismiss using iddqd, especially in the later levels. You'll see what I mean. It is a beta version, so, I still has mistakes and errors that will be fixed. If you see something that isn't quite right, please point it out to me. As I said before, I'm giving it another run-through to find errors missed, and have already found some. I'm going to miss even more, so I need your help. Thanks for trying out my creation!
NovaDragon

Post by NovaDragon »

Nova here,
I tried this level set out and i must say that i am thoroughly impressed with it. This certainly attains a very high difficulty level and i died numerous times even just trying to get to level 8 or 9. I like how the atmosphere kinda gives it a doom 64 or a doom 3 feel especially with the music.

Anyhow on to a few issues that i found. In level 6 i believe (the first one you appear outside in and houses the first cyber) you get to the red key room. The door closes and when you try to grab the key a brutal trap appears. I passed every section grabbed the key and flipped all the switches. When i went to approach the door to leave, it closed again and i could not get out. I had to use no clip here.

On numerous levels, some of the teleporter traps failed to initiate. I don't know if the lines to initiate them could be avoided or if it did not just activate but i found that happening a lot. Also in a few of them, the teleport lines are too close to the walls so things like mancubi and arachnotrons cant teleport unless the lines are further out. I cant remember the exact levels but i can possibly get back to you on that. Otherwise i do like this megawad a lot so far and i hope you do plan a sequel in the future. (Possible with some bestiary monsters.)
JustGabriel

Post by JustGabriel »

The atmosphere in this wad is very claustrophobic
It builts a high level of tension and leads you to think something will jump on your back any minute :D
Awesome stuff, it shows you really put a great effort in it :wink:
death dealer

Post by death dealer »

@Nova
That has been fixed. Thanks for putting it out. Also, I think I've fixed most of the monster teles, but need to do more run-throughs to get them all.
Thanks a lot for the feedback, and yes I am planning a sequel that includes all new monsters and Doom 64 style scripting. I want it to be a 20 level wad, but, if the first Hell Awakened needs a whole lot more bug fixes and the like, I may cut it down to about 16-17.
NovaDragon

Post by NovaDragon »

Sweet, i really cant wait for the second one to become in production!

Also i gots one other question. Is this intended to be used with a specific iwad and source port?
I used doom 2 with zdoom 2.3.1 or some version around then and i came up with the lovely checkerboard textures in a few levels (mainlly the later ones) and the final boss ended up being a flying nazi shooting spawn cubes and random enemy projectiles. I know you said it was a recoloured doom 64 pain elemental so i was just wondering if i was using the wrong iwad or source port. Thanks alot! If i find any more bugs, i will post in the future.
death dealer

Post by death dealer »

@Nova
The Iwad need WAS going to be plutonina, but, I decided I'm going to include the textured used from that wad, since I only used about a third of the plu exclusive textures. And the final boss... it WAS a recolored D64 PE, but I lost the hard drive, and had to rebuild(including several levels- again) the sprites, but I couldn't DL the D64 TC, so that'll be inbound in the upcoming final release. I hate to say it, but the final release will not lnclude the music, that should come out 3-4 months afterwords. Once I release the final version (in about 5 months or so, I'm in iraq right now, so I can't upload big files) I'll include a 4 map demo of the sequel. Thanks for playing everyone and helping me out with the bugs and such!

Oh BTW, did you like the final boss? That is how he was intended to be, minus the nazi spites, course...

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”