[BETA! UNFINISHED] Agent Hernandez: Dawn of Tomorrow

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: [BETA! UNFINISHED] Agent Hernandez: Dawn of Tomorrow

Post by wildweasel »

ThatOneZDoomer wrote:I thought skill three had 0.75 for dropped ammo, although it's better then the further reduced ammo on skill four.
I've just now added descriptions to all the skill levels. I don't really like making the player press Y on all skill levels, so I'm thinking about using images for the skill levels instead of just Doom font, but that's something I'll get into once I hit the "polish" phase.
Only thing I don't like (other than what's been said already) is that the hand when unjamming the pistol should be faster like the player is really trying to smack that bullet out, right now it feels like their just patting the gun (maybe this was said already :?: ) oh well, maybe it's just me :shrug:
You're right...I should rework that animation, perhaps add a better sound effect for it. (Also, I'm just noticing that we've got both a Zero-X and a Zero X Diamond? Are you guys related at all?)
Sangelothi

Post by Sangelothi »

wildweasel wrote:(Also, I'm just noticing that we've got both a Zero-X and a Zero X Diamond? Are you guys related at all?
No, but when I first saw the name I thought it was me lol "wait, I didn't start that thread :lol: "

EDIT: If you can get your hands on some Far Cry 2 sounds, I think those would work pretty good :D
Zero X. Diamond

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

Zero-X wrote:
wildweasel wrote:(Also, I'm just noticing that we've got both a Zero-X and a Zero X Diamond? Are you guys related at all?
No, but when I first saw the name I thought it was me lol "wait, I didn't start that thread :lol: "

EDIT: If you can get your hands on some Far Cry 2 sounds, I think those would work pretty good :D
Wait, when did I post this!?
Cardboard Marty
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Cardboard Marty »

I think all it needs is to be faster, not completely reworked. I also noticed last night that the Autopistol doesn't alert monsters. :P
Sangelothi

Post by Sangelothi »

The HP bonus sound should be changed, I feel like I'm putting on a vest or some kind of small armor, when in "reality" I'm drinking a bottle of some "magical demon juice (blue berry flavored maybe??? :P )
NeuralStunner

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Zero-X wrote:"magical demon juice (blue berry flavored maybe??? :P )
Caco Splash! (Don't worry, it's actually just berry, mango, and green tea. :P )
Trooper 077

Post by Trooper 077 »

Marty Kirra wrote:I think all it needs is to be faster, not completely reworked. I also noticed last night that the Autopistol doesn't alert monsters. :P

I noticed that too when i was converting it to strife too,not that hard to fix though
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Zero-X wrote:EDIT: If you can get your hands on some Far Cry 2 sounds, I think those would work pretty good :D
I tried, but all I can extract out of Far Cry 2 is the music and voiceovers. No weapon sounds to be found; I guess the sounds for those are in a different format or in a different file or something.
Sangelothi

Post by Sangelothi »

Looks like something you could request here :P http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=22457
Darlos

Post by Darlos »

Alright! This mod seems pretty excellent. It's pretty much the mod I wanted to make ages ago, what with realistic handling of weapons and all. I love how the machine pistol jams occasionally. I also like how you always have a melee attack available. The stun melee attack is pretty badass too.

I need to find a good map pack to play with this...
Davidos

Post by Davidos »

^
Seconded

Though I still don't get the whole 'realism' part.

It ain't exactly realistic to me...

The only realistic part is the fact ya can get your arse kicked on the hardest skill.

The problem is that the enemies can't get their arses kicked on any skill.
xD

But meh, I suppose zombies weren't made to die in one shot from a .45 to the brain...

... wait...
Darlos

Post by Darlos »

By realism, I mean like the shotgun handling. After loading it, the character won't pump it if it was pumped previously, since there'd already be a round in the chamber.

The realism could be taken further though. Like, say you have an empty rifle and then load a new magazine. You pull on the bolt or whatnot to load the first round into the chamber. Then, you could take the current magazine out and put in a new one, and you're current ammo count would go up by one since you'd have the full magazine plus the round already in the chamber.

Along that same route, if you load a new magazine with a round in the chamber, the character shouldn't have to pull back on the bolt. That should only happen if the chamber is empty, but there are rounds in the magazine. Obviously, not having to pull the bolt would be faster, and would prompt people to not blow the entire magazine before they reload.

Similar considerations for pistols. You seem to have the right idea of when a pistol is empty, the slide gets locked back. Then you load it and you put it back in the ready position. When the gun already has a round in the chamber though, the character shouldn't pull on the slide when he/she takes it out. It should just come out and be ready. And just like a rifle, the slide shouldn't be pulled manually when you reload if there's already a round in the chamber.

The only other thing I could ask for is headshots... but that'd practically be an entire project in itself, so I won't be demanding.
Davidos

Post by Davidos »

The funny thing is, I did all of that stuff for an addon to Hidious Destructor, the ultra realism mod for Doom, but nobody really liked it so I took it off the web O.o;

Either way, I see your point, but it's still not a 'realism' mod, as in realistic weaponry, setting, gameplay, graphics etc.

It's still Doom after all.

As for bolt pulling etc, and extra animations...

I guess all that extra time is for weapon balance, after all, doom wouldn't really be balanced if we had super DEVGRU commando's doing this crap, pulling a gun in less than half of a second and shooting somebody in the head from the other side of the room.
Then the game'd be too easy...

But statistically speaking it'd be more realistic... pulling slides and bolts usually ejects the round in the chamber so O.o;

Blah blah blah, rabblerabblerabble blah blah [/annoyingstuff] [/offtopic]
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

This is why I hesitate to call any of my projects "realism mods", because for as much effort as I put into them, at no point will they ever be "realistic." I cite Infinity Ward: during development of Call of Duty 4, they were asked about how realistic they thought games could get, and they said something to the effect of, if games get too realistic, then they would be no fun, so their design philosophy is that if something realistic ends up not being fun, then they axe it.

Darlos has tons of valid points that would contribute to the suspension of disbelief (the pistol animations, the assault rifle bolt-pulling conundrum, etc). Thing is, what would it add to the mod aside from being a neat little weapon trick? I mean, yeah, speeding up reload times by not exhausting your clip, I do plan on doing that at some point because Left 4 Dead did it pretty well. The weapon switch animations, though, will probably be kept, in the interests of keeping balance and a consistent speed to switch between weapons. This is why I'm putting so much emphasis on the fact that there's a quick melee attack. (on that note, I need to see what I can do to make a powerup or something that affects the basic melee attack.)
Darlos

Post by Darlos »

I guess over time all the egregious cocking of weapons I've seen in games and movies have gotten to me. I suppose it's Rule of Cool and all, but I feel like we've all so readily accepted noisy unrealistically handled guns as "cool" that nobody ever considers that more modest approaches might be just as cool, if handled well. Reality isn't always boring.

If the "don't cock the gun after reloading if there's still shots left" thing is implemented, I'll probably be able to walk away happy. The whole "magazine + 1 in chamber" thing is probably starting to enter the realm of too much detail. Though there is one half life mod I've played that does it, and it's never bothered me. I mean, it means you get one more bullet... still, if it isn't implemented, I'll live.

Cocking upon drawing a weapon regardless of whether or not its already loaded feels kinda weird to me still... what it would do is eject the currently loaded un-fired round. Maybe instead of cocking it could be disengaging the safety or something. Of course, this would involve a new animation, and I can understand if you'd be unwilling to mess with that.

And really, the only way you could really upset me is to take away classic doom features, such as the ability to move like sonic the frikkin' hedgehog. I get a bit annoyed about how everyone moves slow as molasses in FPSs these days. The worst was Unreal II though. Ugh.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”