[BETA! UNFINISHED] Agent Hernandez: Dawn of Tomorrow

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Eisenfaust1986

Re: [BETA! UNFINISHED] Agent Hernandez: Dawn of Tomorrow

Post by Eisenfaust1986 »

So far, this mod is showing real promise for a WIP project. I will do more testing, but what I think might be a decent goal somewhere down the line is to (possibly) make all four playable characters have different weapon inventories from one-another, actually giving players reason to play Diaz, or Molinero or whoever over any of the others, besides just cosmetics and bells and whistles. At least for the Agent Diaz character, I would recommend bringing back some of her inventory from the already extant Diaz mod for this one (Psi-amp, maybe?). That's all the suggestions for future improvement I have for now, so I'll play this thing some more and see if I can get something in game mechanics to break under REASONABLE game circumstances. :twisted:
Trooper 077

Post by Trooper 077 »

I agree,different weapons for each class would be amazing or some sort of special move for each of them,like hernandez going completely invisible or molinero going beserk and beating the living shit out of everything that moves,something besides the change of the base starting weapon
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I might be able to change other things between each class as I begin to implement the more advanced features of the mod, but I really don't want to clutter things up too much. I think among the things I could do is perhaps have a few weapons change depending on which class you are (but there will still be some common ones that all classes have access to) and perhaps the behavior of some weapons might change a bit (perhaps Molinero would feel less muzzle climb on the assault rifle than Cortes). Again, though, this is pretty ambitious stuff and I don't want to end up making the mod too damned complicated.

If the player starts the game and doesn't know which character they want to play, then I don't want to punish them for choosing the wrong one.

I should probably hold a meeting with Marty and Eksfaktr and start brainstorming some ideas for the future.
Trooper 077

Post by Trooper 077 »

Wait a second,wouldn't all one would have to do to make it compatible for the engines is to take the decorate from diaz and change it to then Hernandez weapons?
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

trooper077 wrote:Wait a second,wouldn't all one would have to do to make it compatible for the engines is to take the decorate from diaz and change it to then Hernandez weapons?
Unfortunately, no. I still don't consider Diaz to be compatible with Skulltag due to several evidently unfixable crash glitches while playing online. In addition, several of the new weapons are using new features provided by the ZDoom SVNs that I'm not sure Skulltag has updated to yet.

Let me stress that this is NOT just a weapons add-on for Diaz.
Trooper 077

Post by Trooper 077 »

wildweasel wrote:
trooper077 wrote:Wait a second,wouldn't all one would have to do to make it compatible for the engines is to take the decorate from diaz and change it to then Hernandez weapons?
Unfortunately, no. I still don't consider Diaz to be compatible with Skulltag due to several evidently unfixable crash glitches while playing online. In addition, several of the new weapons are using new features provided by the ZDoom SVNs that I'm not sure Skulltag has updated to yet.

Let me stress that this is NOT just a weapons add-on for Diaz.

Sorry about that,I meant could it be possible to take the Herictic and Strife Decorate codes from Diaz,then replace the weapons with the hernandez ones?
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

It might work, but you're going to run in to many of the same problems that plagued my attempts with Diaz, mainly in regards to Strife's Conversation IDs and determining which weapon goes in which slot. That's the reason why I never finished support for either one.
Trooper 077

Post by Trooper 077 »

I'll try it tonight,hopefully i'll have some progress
Trooper 077

Post by Trooper 077 »

Ok,I have the Autopistol completely converted into strife,Next up Hunt shotgun

Also,I need to know if anyone knows of any WADs that put the Sigil pieces into doom,i think i know how to make this work so the sigil can still work
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

I've said it over PM and I'll also say it here: if you're intent on making a mod of a mod, please wait until this mod is finished first, because anything you alter will probably break from changes that I will more than likely be making to core portions of the mod.
Eisenfaust1986

Post by Eisenfaust1986 »

Here are some more findings, based on current gameplay:

1.) Maybe you might want to do something more with the Psy-amp fighter in the mod, if you plan on keeping him (maybe he might drop something once you take him down as in the original Diaz mod, perhaps?) Still, I'm not 100% on the idea of just leaving him as is, so it's your call what to do.

2.) You might possibly want to increase the spread of the 12GA a bit, if this weapon becomes one of the finalized slot items in the mod, for the sake of encouraging the usage of the sniper rifle for those longer ranges, if nothing else.

3.) I know the mod is not finalized, but still, the berserk pack definitely needs something more, as is.

Will be reporting more findings as I progress from my testing.
ThatOneZDoomer
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by ThatOneZDoomer »

When I first saw the title screen, I had a "whoa" moment after seeing the Diaz title screen for so long :shock: . I'm glad to see that the monsters have quite a bit of work on them done, so you're not fighting that many stock Doom monsters compared to your older mods. I think it would be great if all of them could be replaced as mentioned in the first post. The jetpack zombie I found to be quite nice. I don't like how the skills have been altered that much, since there is no UV skill that doesn't reduce ammo gained, which I found quite limited. Since both the 3rd and 4th skills have UV spawns, could one of them not change the amount of ammo you gain? I found myself running short way too much, even when using melee attacks. I also notice the blur sphere got replaced with another invisible power up instead of getting replaced altogether :o .

As for the weapons, I like the shotgun better than Diaz's mini shotgun. As for the automatic pistol, I found the jamming annoying especially when it takes multiple attempts to unjam it. I also really like using the other weapons, at least when I have the ammo to do so. I think it would be awesome to see that hitscan explosive weapon from The Stranger return to replace the unfinished grenade launcher. The fun factor would go up quite a bit for me if that weapon were aside the other weapons thus far. On the subject of weapons from The Stranger, maybe the remote charges could return as well as well. If the thrown grenades return, is it possible to bind them to a key instead of another weapon slot like how the melee works currently, similar to modern games? Is there a reason that you changed from the clip based reloading of Diaz? Was that to better control how much ammo you gain and/or not waste ammo when reloading before the clip ran out?

Despite the trouble with getting the weapons into Strife and especially Hexen, is it still possible to see them in Heretic down the road? That doesn't seem to have any more complex weapon placements than Doom, except maybe the Firemace spawning once at random, but that doesn't seem to mess up any replacements of it.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

ThatOneZDoomer wrote:I don't like how the skills have been altered that much, since there is no UV skill that doesn't reduce ammo gained, which I found quite limited.
The skills have been offset as such: Skill 1 is the only Easy spawn, Skill 2 is Normal, Skill 3 is UV with normal ammo. Skill 4 is UV with reduced ammo and increased monster aggression, and Skill 5 is the same as 4 but with maximum monster aggression and more damage done to the player. I should probably add warnings to all the skill levels to describe them as such, since they are not supposed to be analogous to Doom's.
As for the automatic pistol, I found the jamming annoying especially when it takes multiple attempts to unjam it.
Yet, when it works, it does better damage over time than the assault rifle, so it's a risk versus reward scenario. I suppose what I could do is have an alternative way to unjam the weapon (via Reload key?) where you pull back on the slide. It takes slightly longer than hitting it, but is more reliable. Again, risk versus reward.
On the subject of weapons from The Stranger, maybe the remote charges could return as well as well.
Sounds like a fun idea; I'll have to see if I can change the detonator system to work from a custom inventory item (and thus a spare keyboard key) as well as from just clicking Fire on the mines. Hmm. But if I were to add a weapon like that, I should probably make sure I can code it in such a way that it'll respect Doom's friendly fire settings. So many co-op sessions of The Stranger went sour after accidental remote mine deaths. =P
If the thrown grenades return, is it possible to bind them to a key instead of another weapon slot like how the melee works currently, similar to modern games?
Perhaps it is; I could either code it into each weapon or just make it like Hexen's flechettes. The latter would be easier, but also a bit cheesy...
Is there a reason that you changed from the clip based reloading of Diaz? Was that to better control how much ammo you gain and/or not waste ammo when reloading before the clip ran out?
I want to put the emphasis on giving the player less ammo, especially with the Leadspitter and other weapons with high magazine sizes. I'm trying to emphasize resource management.
Despite the trouble with getting the weapons into Strife and especially Hexen, is it still possible to see them in Heretic down the road? That doesn't seem to have any more complex weapon placements than Doom, except maybe the Firemace spawning once at random, but that doesn't seem to mess up any replacements of it.
I could try and shoot for at least Heretic support, but don't be surprised if I forget to do so. I'm focusing on making it work in Doom for the moment.
ThatOneZDoomer
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by ThatOneZDoomer »

I thought skill three had 0.75 for dropped ammo, although it's better then the further reduced ammo on skill four. But warnings could help since I was wondering why the ammo seem so limited and that I got an odd amount of assault rifle ammo. The auto pistol does more damage over time than the assault rifle? Didn't expect that, although a sure fine way to unjam the weapon even if takes longer would be nice for intense battles. I take it the auto pistol's bullets spread more than the assault rifle's? I managed to somewhat snipe with the assault rifle by "burst firing". On that note, maybe a tap of the fire button could automatic fire three shots with little spread? While a rough alternate to the actual sniper rifle when used at long range, it works.

The remote mines could be tricky to code, as I experienced since I made an attempt once with that. I think the way they were done in The Stranger, they don't even detect who originally set them off (especially how you mention it), but Decorate has came a long way since then. Using inventory based grenades could lead to just mass spamming of them and I would say no z-axis aiming of them, but I think that's been fixed not long ago. Coding it as part of each weapon would mean no mass spamming of them and you can't fire your gun while throwing grenades at the same time. Sure it would take more work, but I notice your mods tend to improve on your previous ones and being one of the people to set the bar and standards for what weapon mods can do.

That's it for now so it didn't feel like I'm "trying to talk too much" especially since it's an unfinished beta, let alone a finished beta or even a RC.
Sangelothi

Post by Sangelothi »

This is some great stuff :D

Only thing I don't like (other than what's been said already) is that the hand when unjamming the pistol should be faster like the player is really trying to smack that bullet out, right now it feels like their just patting the gun (maybe this was said already :?: ) oh well, maybe it's just me :shrug:

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”