DooM II : Inheritance (RC2 Now available!!)

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Naniyue

DooM II : Inheritance (RC2 Now available!!)

Post by Naniyue »

"Hell Hath No Greater Fury . . . than the one who inherits it!"

DooM II : INHERITANCE

An RPG/Weapons DooM II modification by Naniyue and Zhs2

Due to changes in the offset property in SVN versions, use only with ZDoom 2.3.1 and related codebases.
RC2 NOW AVAILABLE!

GET IT HERE: http://zhs2.randomnetirc.org/WADs/InheritanceRC2.zip
AND HERE: http://www.mediafire.com/?j02uizm4bjv

CREDITS:
Naniyue - Concepts, all demon ability art, some coding, sounds, and creating this wonderful
project!
*************************************************************************************
Zhs2 - Plenty of scripting, DECORATE, HUD work, pretty much every lump in the root of the mod.
!!!! The public would not be seeing the mod this good without him !!!!!
**************************************************************************************
LittleWhiteMouse - Permission to use some code and sound from HQuest.
Carlcyber - HUD graphics, and the permission to use them ;P
Cory Whittle, Eriance, Xaser, 3DRealms, Raven Software, Skulltag - Weapon sprites
id Software, Raven Software, Zero Tolerance, WRW - Other sounds

Patient Playtesting by:
Bloodsonic, GF_Kennon, uNsane, and Kom. Thanks guys!

Legalese simplified:
*Use this mod at your own risk! There's no guarantee against your computer
blowing up or the like!*

TO PLAY: Just load the pk3 via your favorite front end (onto ZDoom, of course!)
FOR FULL INFO, SEE NOTES.TXT WITHIN THE FILE.

Features:
1) A basic RPG leveling system that increases stats as you play!
2) 5 new human weapons, each one with new skills for handling it to learn.
3) 9 demonic abilities, each with their own strengths, weaknesses, and alignments.
Can you master them all?
4) An on-the-go upgrade system for spending skill points earned in combat towards
improving stats, demonic attacks, and more!
5) A few new items, a resistances system, and compatibility with most Oblige-created
mods!

QUICK GAMEPLAY NOTES:
- "Happiness is a warm gun":
Whenever you use a demonic attack, you lose part of your humanity! If you reach 666 in
Demonicness, you take some damage as Hell's power consumes you! Switch to a human weapon to start remembering your roots.

- Learning the ropes:
You must earn/learn your various demon attacks by killing a sufficient number of that type of enemy.

- Switch with care:
For most, but not all, of your demon attacks, you will be paralyzed for a short time due to the pain of transforming your flesh. Hell gives away nothing for free! This does not apply when switching away from the attack.

Weaponry:
Slot 1: Basic fists. Not one to mince words, your arms come out flailing at the enemy to deal the pain with a punch-swing combo. Grab a Rageki-- err, *ahem* Berserk Pack to do even more damage!

Slot 2: Standard nine millimeter-bullet pistol. You can fire as fast you can click from the
outset, but skill increases with this weapon will let you hold the mouse button down to refire quickly (for those of you who want to preserve your mouses. ;D)

Slot 3: Your nonstandard "No-Pump" single-barrelled shotgun. Skill increases with this weapon increase the destructive spread as you learn to maximize shell usage.

Slot 4: Slow-fire dualshot minigun. Skill increases with this weapon increase the accuracy of your shots as you learn to handle the behemoth, making it easier to hit a single target from farther away.

Slot 5: An incendiary pistol known only as "The BurstShell Launcher." Utilizing a rather new and lightweight technology that fires medium-sized, explosive shells that travel almost as fast as bullets. Skill increases with this weapon will maximize the destructive potential of each BurstShell.

Slot 6: The Direct-Current Projector, codenamed "The Shocker." Other than the deadly, piercing, 30,000 volt beam of electricity it puts out, you may learn how to fire it in a completely different way...

Demonic abilities:
Slot 7:
- Imp Fireballs. Made for speed, these little balls of heat will send the zombies packing.
Alternate flesh-ripping melee attack included for when they get too close.

- Baron Flames. These giant incendiary projectiles are good for only one thing, and that is
torching the opposition with their pure strength. The baron's claws are a bit slower to rip than the imp's, but more painful.

Slot 8:
- CacoShock. Despite what you might think, these small projectiles are capable of 10,000 volts worth of pain. The unnerving cacohead on the end of your hand is capable of a shockingly mighty bite, as well.

- ArachnoBeam. While this attack might not necessarily make you more intelligent, those brains can still be put to good use electrocuting the enemy at great speed with its dual shock-launching attack.

Slot 9:
- Revenant Leader. One pointing of your bony finger can easily summon the might of one of those damaging homing missiles. If that doesn't work,
a good marrow-to-flesh punching will.

- Fat Fury. Feeling heavy and sluggish? Dish out the pain with your dual-launching fireball
attack. Emphasize on the "sluggish" part of that physique with a devastating charge punch that sends the enemy straight back into the Hell it came from.

Slot 0:
- Pain Attack. Feeling a little motherly? Send your children into combat with the flick of a wrist (well, an entire hand) and have them deal with the enemy. Be careful! They might just be stealing YOUR rightful Experience points!

- Resurrection of Might. Raise an army of undead with one hand, and blast your foes to Oblivion's depths with the other.

And lastly -
Self-Healing Power. This handy ability will raise your HP over time, growing in power with each cast and the abundance of your willpower stat. Watch your demonicness when you use it, or you'll end up hurting instead of healing!

KNOWN STUFF:

Now that I have mastered the art of the DooM PNG, I will be adding detail to the imp and baron claws.
Mancubus punch buggy (If anyone could help with that, greatly appreciated! TEXTURES went mad!) and info HUD is not in yet. :(
If you want to play co-op, make sure that your Skulltag server's Compatflag2 is set to 2, or the compat_clientssendfullbuttoninfo option is on the command line, or upgrading will not work!
Deathmatch not ready yet.
"My marine moves too slowly" :
A fully laden space marine doesn't move like a cheetah, but, if you must, go into the player decorate and change speed to 100.
Only use the latest stable release of ZDooM.
So, in short, we're still working on it, but it's soooooo playable!!!
HAVE FUN!!!!!!! :)

Screenshots:
Spoiler:
Last edited by Naniyue on Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:48 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Re: DooM II : Inheritance (Public Release One!!!!!!)

Post by Zhs2 »

Mega-outdated post above me, broken links and all. :(

Latest place to get this on my end is http://zhs2.dyndns.org/WADs/InheritanceRC2.zip.

And the somewhat outdated screenshots can be found at http://zhs2.dyndns.org/Pics/Doomish/Inheritance.
Last edited by Zhs2 on Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
daimon

Post by daimon »

downloading right now. Doesn't look so bad overall...
DavidB1000

Post by DavidB1000 »

Looks good, I will play it soon.
A little question though.
30,000 volts
What's the amps range here?? Because to be honest, even lightning strikes don't kill people 100% of the time and they reach 100 million volts. :)

It's the ampage that kills you, so I'm just curious of how it works...
Demolisher
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Demolisher »

30,000 amps
fix'd
Davidos

Post by Davidos »

Is it me or am I missing alot of graphics. I see no sprites half of the time on the weapons and the mancu and that skeleton mofo thing don't have any attacks, the skeleton hand has a few blind pixels (They aren't transparant)

EDIT:

Okay, so this mod doesnt work on GZDOOM

Edit 2:

So what does Skillforce do?

Does it force a weapon level up?
I just manually leveled up my pistol by shooting about 200 sarges

Btw, wouldnt it be better if you could see what level you are at a certain skill AND what the max level is?
Cuz I seriously can't remember how many times I leveled ability X and Z and Y...
Killar

Post by Killar »

I need a list of how many monsters are needed to kill to learn their ability.
Zhs2

Post by Zhs2 »

Davidos wrote:Is it me or am I missing alot of graphics. I see no sprites half of the time on the weapons and the mancu and that skeleton mofo thing don't have any attacks, the skeleton hand has a few blind pixels (They aren't transparant)
EDIT:

Okay, so this mod doesnt work on GZDOOM
I didn't know anything about GZDoom. What I DO know is that you can't play this with an SVN version because half the time the weapons don't show up like you said. I suspect that the offset keyword parses differently or something, and I've used plenty of offset properties and made full use of the TEXTURES lump because I am just that much of a space-saving whore. :P The only attack that should be known to be broken graphics-wise is the Mancubus Punch (Altfire,) which is still baffling me to this very day.

Also, everything does need a bit of touching up, I agree. *Zhs2 bothers Naniyue
Davidos wrote:Edit 2:

So what does Skillforce do?

Does it force a weapon level up?
I just manually leveled up my pistol by shooting about 200 sarges
Skillforce, when you spend points on it, forces you to gain a certain amount of points towards leveling the skill of that human weapon, but NOT necessarily gain the actual skill for that human weapon. Make sense? (Maybe I should have made it less confusing. Hurrrg.)
Davidos wrote:Btw, wouldnt it be better if you could see what level you are at a certain skill AND what the max level is?
Cuz I seriously can't remember how many times I leveled ability X and Z and Y...
The max skill level for weapons is 3, and the max skill level for demon weapons is 5 (get the attack + 4 upgrade capabilities.) That much is noted in notes.txt, I think. I will check on that. An Info key is planned, but I hadn't had time to implement it before we decided to release. I will have time to work on it tomorrow, though, so hopefully I can throw it in Friday at the latest, along with the suggestion someone had last night to have the mod tell you what stats went up and by how much when you gain a level.

Ed: Ahh, okay. It's in an obscure place in the readme:
notes.txt wrote:- Demonic Level. This corresponds to each demon attack you have, and determines its
overall strength. Default is 0 (don't have that ability,) max is 5 (attack potential
for that ability is maxed out.)

- Weapon Level. This corresponds to each human weapon you have, and determines your
proficiency in that weapon. Default is 0 (don't have that weapon,) max is 3 (weapon
skill is at highest rating.)
Zhs2

Post by Zhs2 »

Killar wrote:I need a list of how many monsters are needed to kill to learn their ability.
Spoiler:
Demolisher wrote:
30,000 amps
fix'd
Thank you very much. I'm such a lazy bugger, I didn't even look that up xD
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

I updated zdoom. Still get those missing frames/sprites bug thingies.
Zhs2

Post by Zhs2 »

I know what causes this, I'm just too lazy to relearn using the offset property for the SVN versions (apparently, it changed and no one said a thing, not even on the wiki.) It should be regarded that the mod works only with ZDoom 2.3.1 and related codebases at the moment (that includes Skulltag98a and GZDoom 1.2.01, nothing newer) due to the missing sprites frames problem. I apologize for the mix-up, and I'll get my poster to come in here and fix the first post. Grah.

If, of course, a new official release happens anytime soon, I'll gladly learn what needs to be known, but I fear any changes I make for the SVN branch will break for those who use official releases. :?
DavidB1000

Post by DavidB1000 »

I like it so far, but he seems really slow at the beginning. NVM
What does the Inheritance powerup do?

Also, I despise not knowing the exact number of ammo I have left. All I see is a fancy bar that goes down slightly everytime I fire. Do I have to switch to the map every time I want to check the exact amount...

Not a big fan of that part of the hud. Do like the whole thing, but I love being able to tell how close I am to needing to punch people. :(
Okay, I totally ran out of ammo on Level 1 of doom 2. That should never happen.
4 ammo from a seargant makes sense, but 4 from a normal marine? Okay, I'm getting more ammo it seems now. Still, rough going for a while.

Also, the chaingun's initial spread is just silly. :)
That said, the shotgun hopefully increases in strength, I'd hope, otherwise it's utterly useless being as though it's the same power as the normal shotgun and since there's no Supershotgun, there's no real way to use the shotgun as a primary weapon against larger monsters.

OKay, what does the gun upgrade costing 10 points do if your guns increase in experience as you fire them? I'm a little confused now.
Last edited by DavidB1000 on Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

I think I like this mod so far from what I've played, but the speed upgrade could be increased more..It's hard to get across some jumps. It would also be nice if there was a meter for how many monsters you killed and an indicator for when you acquire the power.
Zhs2

Post by Zhs2 »

DavidB1000 wrote:What does the Inheritance powerup do?
notes.txt wrote:Also be on the lookout for the Inheritance Sphere, as picking one up gains you 10 skill points! Use them wisely...
DavidB1000 wrote:Also, I despise not knowing the exact number of ammo I have left. All I see is a fancy bar that goes down slightly everytime I fire. Do I have to switch to the map every time I want to check the exact amount... / Not a big fan of that part of the hud. Do like the whole thing, but I love being able to tell how close I am to needing to punch people.
I've found that the AltHUD works wonders for the numbers. I even threw in a dummy weapon so you know how much exp you have/need for the next level in the AltHUD bar...
DavidB1000 wrote:Okay, I totally ran out of ammo on Level 1 of doom 2. That should never happen.
4 ammo from a seargant makes sense, but 4 from a normal marine? Okay, I'm getting more ammo it seems now. Still, rough going for a while.
I'd actually recommend using the fists in some situations. They're silent, and they can neutralize enemies handy with the chainsaw-like swing. Just make sure to make all of the hits hit, heheh.
DavidB1000 wrote:Also, the chaingun's initial spread is just silly.
It was sillier. Thankfully, a beta tester pointed me straight on that.
DavidB1000 wrote:OKay, what does the gun upgrade costing 10 points do if your guns increase in experience as you fire them? I'm a little confused now.
Either you can go the long route and fire as many times as it takes to skill up, or you can buy and gain levels quicker. Your choice.
BlazingPhoenix wrote:I think I like this mod so far from what I've played, but the speed upgrade could be increased more..It's hard to get across some jumps.
I did warn of that for Doom 2. Funny how it manages to rely so much on acrobatics, eh? =(
BlazingPhoenix wrote:It would also be nice if there was a meter for how many monsters you killed and an indicator for when you acquire the power
Been planned for the next RC, good bud. 8-)
Naniyue

Post by Naniyue »

You can go into the player decorate and change speed to 100.

ZHs2 is working on an info hud, so it'll be coming!

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”