2184: Liberation of Earth (some guy bumped this)

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
DoomerMrT

2184: Liberation of Earth (some guy bumped this)

Post by DoomerMrT »

Background:

This project saw the light first in December of 2006. My brother started it by just making a map, it wasn't even called a project back then. We have learned much since that time regarding mapping and always updated the wad to include the best of our efforts, even when it requried complete overhauling. By many hours of work(and pauses :P ) I wish to announce the release of the first two maps of our beloved project. We decided to release a demo so we can take advices on what to change or add.

Story:

The story, as well as the enviroment of the wad is based on Doom 3. ~30 years after closing the hell gate on Mars.

Despite the results of the teleportation experiments on Mars the UAC decided to continue them. Due to the total destruction of the Mars installation they established their facilities on Earth. They thought by closing the hell gate on Mars the evil won't find a way to our world anymore. However, the souls of the scientists died on Mars are still suffering in hell and their knowledge about dimensional teleportation were leeched by the Evil Lord. Armed with this knowledge, he brought death and suffering to Earth. Being one of the few soldiers left alive it is your duty to attempt to push back the demons deep in Hell...

Resources:

The majority of the monsters and spark effects, etc. you will see ingame come from the free to use sources found on Tormentor's Realm667 site. Altough I've altered some of the monsters' behavior for my needs the credits go to their respective authors.

--------------------------------------------------------

Gameplay video: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... n+of+earth#

The recorded video is from a much older version of this project but it should be enough for you to see if it is worth downloading or not. And also, you should ignore the speech there written in an alien language. :P

Game Info:

Engine requried:(it might work with versions above or under but no guarantee)
-GZdoom 1.3.17
-Skulltag 0.98b alpha 2614

Recommended ambient light level: 0.55
Coop support: Yes

Also, cheating is not recommended as it might screw up the gameplay.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Code: Select all

- Removed
+ Added
* Changed/Fixed
Release 1(09/27/09)

Release 2(12/26/09)

List of changes:

Code: Select all

*Portover to GZdoom 1.3.17
*Optimizations for playing on Skulltag too
+Added key markings for doors on both maps
*Fixed a lot of minor bugs in both maps
*Improved multiplayer support
-Removed automap background
*Cleaned up DECORATE a bit
*Added better quality Lord of Hell voice
-----------------------

Download link:
http://hwc-tm.extra.hu/stuff/2184loe_d2.zip

OR
http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=5jr95d4fpqf

OR
http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/file ... loe-d2.zip
Last edited by DoomerMrT on Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:35 am, edited 9 times in total.
oODemonologistOo

Re: 2184: Liberation of Earth

Post by oODemonologistOo »

Awesome, I'll try this right now
eliw00d

Post by eliw00d »

Is this coop?
DoomerMrT

Post by DoomerMrT »

There is a very little coop support at the moment which will be improved as the project progresses.
Parthoris

Post by Parthoris »

Looks very nice :D
Nice input with the strange satanic red langauge too!
Do you plan to always use the Doom 2 monsters and sounds?
Hope you can make a Doom3-like Berserk orb where you go mad and punch enemies to peices including the baron of hell and other higher classes ;)
DoomerMrT

Post by DoomerMrT »

The language is hungarian btw :P There are custom monsters and there will be custom weapons too but I'd like to keep the style between Doom 2 and 3. About berserk: As for the earlier reasons I don't want to make it a doom 3 clone. The mid-way is the best.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Very nice, very atmospheric. Good fun and it looks and "feels" superb.

The only thing that frustrated me was the lack of clear marking of key requiring doors. In the second map, after aquiring a key, I spent ages wandering around looking for the door and, even now, I can only assume that I found it because I saw the whole map - but I don't know for definite where the door was.

Oh, and this was compounded by the fact the autopage graphic made it hard to see the automap (so I disabled it :P ).

That aside, this is a definite "must download" mod.

Ridiculous as it sounds, being set under the sea made the map feel as it it was under pressure (no, not like Queen and David Bowie) and i could almost feel my ears popping as doors opened etc. :lol:
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

This is pretty awesome, unfortunately I'm stuck on the first map, but here's what I've noticed so far:

1. Change the automap background, it does not tile well and I cannot see a thing on the map

2. Please mark the locked doors with coloured lighting or symbols, so it is clear what key is required to open them

3. The bright blue bleach water looks ridiculous, especially if you are going for a grimy horror atmosphere - try going for a milky white/ grey or light green/blue colour instead.

4. Make it clearer where to go and what to do - I'm currently at a control room of some sort with blue office chairs, I have no idea where to go next.

Keep up the good work, I'll be keeping my eye on this :)
DoomerMrT

Post by DoomerMrT »

Thanks for the input, I gonna do some changes - you know from my point of view it is pretty obvious where to go but meh, I am one of the authors :P. Btw, in that control room thing there is a shelf turned on it's side and behind it you can find the red keycard.

Umm, you noticed that you can see the objectives and you have a flashlight? Or I didn't mention it? :P Go and check the controls too.
Mivalekan

Post by Mivalekan »

I just activated the emergency power, cleared out the monsters behind the newly opened doors, and now I CANNOT figure out where to go.

where do I download gzdoom 1.2.1 r405?
Dancso

Post by Dancso »

Awesome!
Having watched the video it feels like Doom 3 done in doom 2 on earth instead of mars. :P
Creepy. Also I was amazed how well arachnotrons fit as the little guide robot thingy. :)

When the video came to the "hell part" i was relieved that this might feel like an adventure to play. :D

@Mivalekan:
http://svn.drdteam.org
DoomerMrT

Post by DoomerMrT »

@Mivalekan: after turning on the emergency power you can go 2 ways: one is the flooded storage and the other is a new tunnel. The new tunnel part has again two ways: one straight forward but that door needs yellow key so the only remaining is on the left. Thats the way.

It seems like the effort put into this worth the time after all :) Thanks for all the feedbacks!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I don't *think* that you have an invulnerability sphere on the map anywhere but, if you do even plan on adding one, it will make a lot of your special effects look bad. The areas that are black (and therefore transparent) become white (and very obvious) when you have the invulnerability powerup (or an GZdoom enhanced night vision). It affects your sparks and some fireball effects and probably some other things too.

I suspect that you got the resources like that but it is a very common error that people often forget about. It's much better to use proper transparency instead of black in such sprites to avoid this problem.

Another thing that might never actually become a problem in a mod, but you might want to be aware of: your flashlight can activate shootable walls. Warp to map18, shine the light at the door in front of the P1 spot and the door will open. As far as I know, there is no way around this when using a hitscan-based flashlight effect. (I have feature requested the ability to make a hitscan puff remove the ability of the weapon to activate lines but I guess it's either low priority or tricky to do.)
DoomerMrT

Post by DoomerMrT »

All right, thanks for the info. I don't think that I ever gonna use powerups in this wad, neither the shootable stuff, but good to know. BTW, I've done the marking of the doors and placed the red keycard on map01 to a bit more noticeable place. I won't change the water's color however: I suppose you don't want to see the border of the map :P
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

This certainly looks cool. I'll have to get round to playing this one day.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”