Z-QUAKE: Doom TC of the Original Quake (RESOURCES UPDATE!)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
SoulCrow

Re: Z-QUAKE Doom TC of the Original Quake (GrenadeLauncher HELP)

Post by SoulCrow »

1) What orange fire effects do you mean (in regards to the Nailgun)?
2) When inheriting from an actor, you don't have to copy the whole code over again for the new actor. In particular, you could probably cut out most of the 'Nail' code, because you have already told it to inherit from the plasma ball. You need only put down the exact changes you want to see. For example, if you wanted to change the size of the Zombieman, maybe create a bit of variation (in a hypothetical scenario), then you would put:
Spoiler:
...and that would be the entire definition of the new actor. When you tell an actor to inherit from another one, all of the latter's DECORATE carries over to the new one automatically, so you don't have to copy over that code all over again.
3) Ethril made a good point.
4) After making my second point above, you'd probably want to create a new actor for the Nailgun and tell it to inherit from the original 'Chaingun'. Completely overwriting the original weapons is quite unconventional, and may produce compatibility issues if people wanted to combine this project with another.
5) "Unfortunately, he still starts the game w/ no shotgun rounds in the pistol (QuakeShotgun)". Is the 'QuakeShotgun' an entirely new actor then? If so, then make sure the weaponslot and the startitem are updated (might be obvious but worth mentioning nonetheless).
6) Have you changed the original DoomPlayer at all? If you have, try reverting it to it's default settings.
7) Most other custom player classes I have seen inherit from PlayerPawn directly, so if nothing else works, try inheriting from PlayerPawn and defining new weaponslots etc.
8) I can't see any sound defined in the DECORATE you posted for the Nailgun. Read this page. Try adding "AttackSound "weapons/dschngun"" in the initial information section (make sure it all corroborates with SNDINFO).
9) Also, "If the weapon shoots a custom projectile, such as a rocket, the sound played will be the projectile's spawn sound" -- Make sure the spawn sound of the Nail is the right sound.
10) Read this page. You'll need to update the KEYCONF. Furthermore, you can add a "weapon.slotnumber" to the DECORATE of each weapon, further reinforcing which slot each individual weapon is assigned to.

P.S.: I'm getting most of this information from the wiki, and even I'm still finding out new things about DECORATE just trying to type up this response. Look around the wiki for the answers to your problems, it is a great asset.

EDIT: Spelling
Blade3327

Post by Blade3327 »

I did set the chaingun sound in SndInfo.
By "orange fire effects", I meant those yellow-orange triangles that appear at the tip of each Quake gun when you fire. Y'know, the little barrel-tip explosion that signifies that the gun is firing?

I did change the original DoomPlayer. I changed his name to QuakePlayer : DoomPlayer. I also changed his starting items. All of teh changes I ever made are on the bottom of the 3rd page of this thread.

I didn't create a new actor for the Quake Shotgun. I simply wrote "pistol (QuakeShotgun)" because the pistol was reskinned to the Quake Shotgun. I didn't change the weapon actor names at all, but I probably should...

Lastly, Weapon sounds can be added in the info section? Huh, I thought stuff like that was added to the projectile info (because of how changing the projectile on the reskinned chaingun-nailgun affected the sound)... Well, I'll try this and get back to you. Thanks for the links and help so far.
Blade3327

Post by Blade3327 »

Sigh... some more weird developments. I deleted the first "Nail" actor and redid it:
Spoiler:
NailShot means it's the nail that the nailgun (reskinned chaingun) fires.

Here's the nail actor for the supernailgun (reskinned plasmagun):
Spoiler:
Now the weps fire nails, but w/ no sound. Plus, I did some stuff to the plasmagun code (which made the barrel actually look like it's rotating):
Spoiler:
See how I wrote PLSF AB? That's what gives it the rotation effect. The plasmagun does show the barrel flash effect, but once again, NO SOUND. And yes, I did add the attack sound code you gave me to the weapon information. When that didn't work, I even tried to add it to the projectiles themselves (which obviously wouldn't do anything anyway, but what the heck)

The chaingun on the other hand, I did the same thing for, but there still is NO barrel flash (even though it tells it to do it in its code):
Spoiler:
Here's what makes things even worse. And this addresses the renaiming weapon actor issue. Whenever I try to rename any weapon, I say for example: "ACTOR QuakeNailgun : replaces Chaingun"
Get this, I then start the WAD in ZDoom and get this message:

Execution could not continue.
Script error, "Z-QUAKE.wad:DECORATE" line 318:
Expected '{' but got identifier 'chaingun' instead.

For now, it looks like I have to keep the weps the way they are.

Oh, I also tried to switch the player info to ACTOR QuakePlayer : PlayerPawn, but when I do that, the wep slots I set don't apply anymore.
So I'm forced to continue using the original Doom player actor (ACTOR DoomPlayer : PlayerPawn). This lets me use my new wep slots, but still doesn't solve the fact that my player starts with no shells for his shotgun (reskinned pistol). And yes, I also did write the ammo types for each weapon.

This is so weird... No matter what sounds and where I specify them to be used, I get silenced weps, I can't create Quake weapon actors to replace the Doom ones... Basically, it's keeping me from trying to fix it.
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

You have to play the sound yourself, you can either use A_PlaySound (or A_PlayWeaponSound to play it on the weapons channel without having to specify all 4 paramaters of A_Playsound) or set the Seesound on your projectile. Also, the Seesound is NOT the sound's lumpname, but rather its entry in SNDINFO (so like weapons/shotgn)

Your nailgun NEVER calls A_GunFlash, meaning that the flash state is never played.

And your renaming is HORRIBLY wrong. You forget to specify what you are inheriting from!. If you don't inherit from anything (which is NOT possible with weapons, you ALWAYS need to inherit from weapon somehow), you use ACTOR <myactor> replaces <oldeactor>. To inherit and replace something you use <myactor> : <parent> replaces <oldeactor>
Blade3327

Re: Z-QUAKE Doom TC of the Original Quake (Nailgun 99% Done!)

Post by Blade3327 »

That's what I needed. I didn't know you could both inherit and replace.

I fixed a lot of stuff! The weapon slots are now Quake-accurate. Also, I successfully made new actors for the weapons! And I got the sound working on both of the Nailguns! Yes! I changed the pickup messages for weps, ammo, powerups, and armor. Changed damage amounts and the speed of nails (because the QuakeSuperNailgun has to pump nails out like crazy, compared to the regular QuakeNailgun). And... I experimented with various numbers and got the QuakeNailgun to fire nails from both barrels, instead of coming out the middle! Total Quake-like behavior!

Problem is, I can't change the player actor. I tried "ACTOR QuakePlayer : DoomPlayer replaces DoomPlayer" and "ACTOR QuakePlayer : PlayerPawn replaces PlayerPawn". When I use any of these and start the game, no matter if I type in GIVE ALL or IDKFA, the only weps I ever get are the QuakeAxe, the QuakeShotgun, and the BFG9000 (which is gonna be replaced anyway by the QuakeGrenadeLauncher, whenever that's done).

Therefore, I'm keeping the player actor info the same. Therefore, the problem with starting with 0 shells (even though I told it to start with 25) still stands. Dunno what the cause is...

Finally, how do I get the gun flash working? What you mentioned on that issue still seems kinda vague. Where exactly do I put that command in my QuakeNailgun's DECORATE? Perhaps you could show me an example using the updated QuakeNailgun DECORATE I uploaded below?

For now, that's basically it. Just the player ammo starting issue and the QuakeNailgun's gunflash sprites to show.

Oh, and also for the status bar to reflect ammo usage. On the main ammo counter (not the little numbers off to the side of the bar), it shows ammo usage for the QuakeShotgun, QuakeDoubleShotgun, the QuakeNailgun, but not the QuakeSuperNailgun. That gun's ammo just stays the same when I shoot, as if it's not used. If you guys have any ideas how to fix the big ammo counterissues, I'd love to hear 'em.
And if I could get the SBARINFO to show the ammo (the smaller counters on the right side of the status bar), that'd be cool.

Here're the DECORATEs in question. Just puttin' 'em up in case any of my new changes affected things.

QuakeSuperNailgun:
Spoiler:
For the QuakeNailgun:
Spoiler:
Player information (just main info and weapon slots):
Spoiler:
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
EDIT:

The problems I listed above have not been fixed. I'm simply editing this post to add something interesting. Even though I changed the ammotypes for each weapon, whenever I walk over shells (replace shells) in the game, I don't pick them up. Same problem for nails (which replace the clips). Picking up health works, but not the ammunition.
SoulCrow

Post by SoulCrow »

With the amount of issues you are having, I'd seriously recommend joining the ZDoom IRC channel set up by Blazing Phoenix. This way, you can articulate the problems you are encountering if anybody needs further detail, and you will be able to get regular updates over a short period of time, rather than wait -> big list of possible solutions all at once -> wait -> repeat. Plus, some people really can't be bothered to check every single thread on the forums, so you may receive additional help from more people on the IRC channel.
Blade3327

Post by Blade3327 »

All weapons (except for the Grenade Launcher) are done! Here's the progress, ladies 'n' gentlemen:

> Ammunition has been changed (message-wise, weapon requirement-wise, sprite-wise, and slot-wise), so that Z-QUAKE's weapons have more of a Quake-ish behavior and run on the proper ammo! But... I'm still not changing the ThunderBolt. Seems fine as an inheriter of the Chainsaw. Plus, even the EDGE mod couldn't pull off the right look.

> Weapon Sprites are all done. Even the Grenade Launcher, but due to its DECORATE not being ready it isn't in the game.

> Graphics are pretty much done, as far as I can tell. I might decide to change some stuff later, but they're good.

> Music is done! The songs I've selected from the Quake Mission Packs are now available to be played alongside Z-QUAKE (in a seperate WAD).

> The player start information is also done, so that he simply starts with the Axe, the Shotgun, and 25 shells. Good hunting.
Blade3327

Re: Z-QUAKE Doom TC of the Original Quake (New monsters + Shots)

Post by Blade3327 »

Check the first post for updates! Today, I completed programming a whopping seven Quake monsters from the EDGE TC. Even the enemies from my old resources will be redone, for consistency. Life's good.
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

This brings memories. Back in the day when I had no internet, I started working in a project like this. I completed map 1 and 2, but never got any further in that matter (maps are always my nightmare :P ).

Anyway, if you want, I could do the DECORATE (as accurate as I can get) for this quake1 monsters. In AEoD I have already done them looooooong ago (so, they are a bit dated now), however, if you have new graphics I could indeed re-make them from scratch and enhance them as much as I can. Hell, I love DECORATE :P
Blade3327

Post by Blade3327 »

@DBThanatos: Dude, I'm actually almost done with the monster DECORATE. It's fine. I did 7 monsters yesterday and it's like clockwork (list of completed stuff on first post). I've got my own production line of a new creature being done every 15-30 mins. Today, it'll finally be finished. Then I'll try again with the copy/paste grenade launcher code (I now know enough about DECORATE to iron out the kinks, where necessary).
And maps? Sigh... I love maps. That shouldn't be a problem, at all. Just know that there isn't a set release date, so yeah...

However if I have any DECORATE questions about firing new projectiles or other enhancements, I'll let you know.
Blade3327

Post by Blade3327 »

SWEET! I just figured out how to spawn debris from a dying body! Which means you can now blow people up using the Quake gib sprites. Gnarly. The gibs and gore include the generic gibs, plus the head specific to the monster from which it flew off :mrgreen: .
Last edited by Blade3327 on Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SoulCrow

Re: Z-QUAKE Doom TC of the Original Quake (More Monsters + GIBS)

Post by SoulCrow »

I would seriously recommend taking DBT up on his offer, especially considering what you just said on IRC (copying and pasting standard monster DECORATE). Just my two cents.
Blade3327

Post by Blade3327 »

Well, most of the creatures behave absolutely fine. No weird issues whatsoever. The only creatures that I can think of that aren't totally Quake-like would be the Shambler, Death Knight, and Enforcer. And only bits and pieces of their behavior are different. I suppose I could send him a PM, asking to modify specific states for those monsters...
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Major Cooke »

Still, if you really have trouble trying to figure something out... Here's a suggestion.

Try peeling back the skin of AEoD. Look around, play it with GZdoom, get a feel for how the weapon works, then compare it with the code on how it works... But be careful not to look too hard, some simple weapons are made in a soul-takingly evil manner that take a long time to decipher... :|
Blade3327

Post by Blade3327 »

I took DBT up on his offer. As far as the grenade launcher goes, now that I'm more used to DECORATE I'll try to use an existing code again and further edit out the kinks.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”