Z-QUAKE: Doom TC of the Original Quake (RESOURCES UPDATE!)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Z-QUAKE Doom TC of the Original Quake (2nd Graphics DEMO)

Post by NeuralStunner »

Blade3327 wrote:That and putting in the grenade launcher, plus changing the slots for each weapon...
Redefine the DoomPlayer actor, and use Player.WeaponSlot. Or, use a KeyConf lump.
Blade3327

Post by Blade3327 »

Could you elaborate? P.S.: The GLauncher sprites are done. Now what?
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

OK, here's the complete Actor definition (spoilered for brevity):
Spoiler:
Here's the slot setup (assuming you use the actual names of the weapon actors you defined):

Code: Select all

Player.WeaponSlot 1, QuakeAxe
  Player.WeaponSlot 2, QuakeShotgun
  Player.WeaponSlot 3, QuakeDoubleShotgun
  Player.WeaponSlot 4, QuakeNailgun
  Player.WeaponSlot 5, QuakeSuperNailgun
  Player.WeaponSlot 6, QuakeGrenadeLauncher
  Player.WeaponSlot 7, QuakeRocketLauncher
  Player.WeaponSlot 8, QuakeLightningGun
Blade3327

Post by Blade3327 »

So basically, I just create a file called KEYCONF in my Z-QUAKE WAD and copy the code you've given?

Because I was thinking... My weps replaced the Doom weps (which may not have been such a great idea)... I'd need to make it so that the Pistol and Chaingun use different ammo types and that this is shown in the status bar. This is because I replaced the Pistol with the Quake Shotgun and the Chaingun with the Quake Nailgun, for example.
Now, is there any way to change what kind of ammo works for what weps (while still having my Quake weps replacing the Doom ones)?
So I could tell it to use Shotgun ammo for the Pistol and Shotgun, Chaingun ammo for the Chaingun and Plasmarifle, Rocket ammo for the Rocketlauncher and the added Grenadelauncher (which I still haven't figured out how to put in)?
That way the weapon keys would change, but my weps still take the place of the Doom weps (but with the customized ammo requirements). Y'know what I mean?

Thanks for the codes, as these will help with slotting. First I need to take care of the ammo issue. Are there any pointers for doing that?

As for the Grenadelauncher perhaps a ready-made code for that kind of weapon could work? The Quake one's nothing special, so I could just import my Quake GLauncher sprites, give them names, and replace the existing names in the code with mine?

For now, that's pretty much it. I still don't have a clue how to deal with the monsters, though.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Read the wiki: [wiki]weapon slots[/wiki].
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Someone should use the models from Quake and put them in a wad.
Blade3327

Post by Blade3327 »

@Lysander: Well, this isn't the place to discuss that. However, CaptainToenail, a few others, and I talked about it on the "ZDoom Project Ideas You Have" thread. Model compatibilities, etc. I dunno if it'll happen, but Toenail seemed very pumped about the idea. Who knows?...

@Gez & NeuralStunner: Alrighty, I'll have a good study session in the wiki.
However, I might need some assistance in finding (and using) a good, basic grenade launcher code file. The Mutiny mod launcher or SkullTag launcher should be good. Then, I'll copy the code for the weapon behavior and direct it to use the Quake sprites I have. I dunno if it'll work, so if I have any problems and can't find out from the wiki, I'll post 'em here.
The slot editing will come right after that (thanks for the links, guys!).

Then, I'll have to face the final motherlode problem: getting those EDGE Quake mosnters into my WAD. Sigh... that's gonna prove to be an issue...
Blade3327

Post by Blade3327 »

Okay... I was hoping to use the codes for the SkullTag grenade launcher. I copied the sprites for the grenade launcher to a new WAD (just to test). But I couldn't find the code lump for the weapon. Does anyone know where I could get it?
Then, I can copy the code lump to my testing WAD and simply replace the existing SkullTag sprites with the Quake GLauncher sprites. If all works well, this will be copied to the Z-QUAKE WAD and be made available via weapon slot editing.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
EDIT:

I also tried the Mutiny Mod grenade launcher. Copied the GUNS text file, along with the KEYCONF, the SNDINFO, the sprites, and the sounds into my test WAD. Doesn't work. I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong, so are there any WADs out there that have good grenade launchers and codes for 'em? More straightforward codes, so I know exactly what text files to copy?
SoulCrow

Post by SoulCrow »

OK, to specifically answer some of your questions:

1) To change the status bar so it represents how much ammo is available for the new weapons, you'd probably need to look at SBARINFO.
2) To change the type of ammo a weapon uses, use DECORATE. Look at any custom weapon as an example.
3) The DECORATE code for the SkullTag Grenade Launcher can be found here.
4) To make sure the weapons continue to replace the original Doom ones, no matter which changes you make, you will need DECORATE again. Firstly, you will need to edit the DoomPlayer and the weapon slots as mentioned above (this can also be done with KEYCONF, also mentioned above). Then, when creating the DECORATE code for the weapons themselves, add "replaces" to the first line of each weapon, like so:
Spoiler:
What exactly was the problem with running this with GZDoom?
Blade3327

Post by Blade3327 »

@BoldEnglishman: Wowza. Thanks, man. I'll play around with the grenade launcher; hopefully I can get it to work.
You pretty much addressed almost everything :P .
I think I'll use KEYCONF instead of the DoomPlayer wep slots; as KEYCONF is more simple and ultimately overrides anything else. Safer way to go.
But, um. I didn't actually create new actor names for the weapons (since at the time, it was a simple replacement). I will now. Mostly because I need to edit the ammo type for each.
I'm not exactly sure you understand what I meant by "replace," though. Let me put it this way: the new Quake weps are the Doom weps. As in I copied the weapon sprites from Doom 2 using XWE, pasted them in my WAD, and changed each original Doom wep sprite to my Quake rips (but the sprite name and weapon coding remained the same; it's just the look). Is that bad?
Lastly... SBARINFO is included in Doom 2 or the ZDoom.pk3, or where?

And the GZDoom issue was related to a possible palette problem. Actually, it applied to every port. That doesn't necessarily matter anymore, as I decided to use the monsters from the EDGE Quake mod. How I'm gonna do that, I don't know...
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
EDIT:

I found out about the location of SBARINFO, but it doesn't have anything except for info on the Doomguy's face.

I also copied the SKullTag GLauncher sprites to my test WAD, created a DECORATE lump and copy/pasted the DECORATE info from your link. Didn't work. I'm pretty sure I screwed up somewhere:
Spoiler:
Like I said, I also literally changed the original Doom wep sprites and added a new chaingun sound in SndInfo (for the nailgun). I didn't write any new code for anything, pretty much. With this in mind, I guess I should be asking how to modify the ammo requirements (and show this in the status bar) for the original Doom weps... Also how to change the damage of each weapon; since I replaced (once again, literally) the plasmagun with the Super Nailgun, the Super Nailgun has the unfitting strength of the plasmagun.

Programming's just not my thing :oops: . If there's a way to answer the above questions (knowing how I actually put in the new weps, great. If not, I guess I'll have to create a section in DECORATE for each one. I've never doen that before...
Blade3327

Post by Blade3327 »

I also tried the KDiZD Grenade Launcher. I copied the sprites, the DECORATE, and cut the weapon info for all of the other unrelated weps. The KDiZD Grenade Launcher replaces the plasmarifle. Well, whenever I start Doom 2 up and hit 6 on my keyboard, nothing happens. It's like there's nothing there.

PLEASE READ:
Anyone care to join the team for a few hours and contribute to the Grenade Launcher :) ? I doubt I'll be able to get this... Attached is Z-QUAKE with just the current weps. Also included in the .zip are my sprites for the Grenade Launcher. All I need is the completed weapon with its DECORATE and any other files needed to use it. No sounds are necessary; I can add those in the DECORATE after it's all done. Then, I'll edit the weapon slots for the other weapons. Credit will be given.
Thanks to anyone who's willing to try.
Feel free to use existing code from another grenade launcher, too. Whatever you need to get the weapon working, it doesn't matter - as long as the files are neatly organized and easy to keep track of. Don't put any any extra text lumps if you don't NEED 'em. Also, I don't need a complex weapon. Just use the sprites I supplied and base the behavior off of the SkullTag version (have a semi-low grav feel to the grenades, like in Quake).
Please put all of your work in the Z-QUAKE WAD. Use the weapon slot 7 for the new grenade launcher.

However, my issue with changing the wep ammo (for the original Doom weps, as only their sprites and sounds are replaced by mine) still stands. Also to change the damage of each wep.

On a lighter note, after all of this is done (and maybe the EDGE monsters, if you guys have any ideas how to go about doing that), I'll get to the fun stuff - mapping it all out. Don't need any help for that. It's basically just the programming that's ever been a problem for me.
SoulCrow

Re: Z-QUAKE Doom TC of the Original Quake (GrenadeLauncher HELP)

Post by SoulCrow »

1) The DoomEd number 21234 is just something I pulled out of nowhere, so I don't know how suitable it is in terms of clashes etc.
2) "SBARINFO allows for custom status bars to be made without the need for ACS". SBARINFO allows you to create an entirely custom status bar/HUD, not just the player's mugshot. However, SBARINFO is significantly harder to implement correctly than DECORATE. There is an alternate HUD which should work fine with this mod, as long as the ammo types have been changed accordingly.
3) For the SkullTag Grenade Launcher, at first glance my guess would be that ZDoom doesn't have A_FireSTGrenade defined (seen as it is the SkullTag Grenade Launcher after all) but I could be wrong
4) In terms of the weapons, you'll need DECORATE pretty much no matter what your intended effect. While defining new actors and using them to replace the original weapons in-game is probably the easiest method, you can also overwrite the original weapons like you said, but you'd still need DECORATE. I should imagine that for the latter, you would have to create new actors that inherit from the original weapons, only changing minor details (like ammo types). Using the example I used before:
Spoiler:
However the problem with all this is that unless you heavily modify the original weapons (in which case you'd still be better off just defining entirely new actors), your weapons are going to behave almost identically to their Doom counterparts. This would mean that your weapons aren't as innovative as other Quake weapons (such as the ones found in AEoD), and your weapons wouldn't be as true to the original Quake weapons they are based off of. Using DECORATE and defining new actors, you can create very faithful recreations of Quake's weapons. DECORATE really isn't that hard to grasp, once the basics are down, and you can always look at other people's weapons as examples.
5) Speaking of AEoD, if you ask DBThanatos for permission, you can use AEoD's code for the Quake Grenade Launcher. Out of the top of my head I know that the Quake Grenade Launcher and the Thunderbolt have been recreated in AEoD, but I'm not sure of any others.

I'll have a quick looksie and see what I can patch together.

EDIT: OK here's a little something. Read my version of a README first (the notes at the beginning of the DECORATE file).

http://www.sendspace.com/file/fxilv1
Blade3327

Post by Blade3327 »

Yes, I did overwrite the original Doom weps. Basically, my Quake weapons do behave the same as the Doom ones, but it's not too bad as long as I can change the damage for each one. The only weapon that I would need a custom DECORATE for would be the Grenade Launcher, as there is no Doom weapon like it.

I got this message when trying to start up ZDoom with your WAD:

Execution could not continue.
R_InstallSpriteLump: Bad frame characters in lump GREN 6

That message's talking about one of the Grenade sprites, but what would be the problem there?

I cleaned out the extra sounds and stuff, too. I'd really rather not use AEoD's codes (mostly because of the extra rotational sprites). Plus, I'm cool with my ThunderBolt the way it is. The Grenade Launcher's really all I need... perhaps the Mutiny mod code would work best, since its weapon pickup sprite doesn't rotate. Also that one was originally done for ZDoom.

Oh, I also noticed I accidentally had two versions of the plasmagun projectiles (the nails for the super-nailgun). I'm using the smaller ones, so i don't know how the big ones remained. Didn't look that way when I checked it out in XWE.
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

You really ought to have learnt Decorate before tackling this, reskinning the Doom weapons, sorry, there really is not any point :sadno:
Blade3327

Post by Blade3327 »

Well, I was originally not planning to have a grenade launcher :oops: . Plus, I figured the only DECORATE work necessary would be for one weapon. All the other weapons (as you could see) were done. I'd still be handling the majority of the project.

Let's not forget that I was also planning on a different monster resource. True, that resource has just a few enemies, but how would I use the enemies fom the EDGE resource. You, yourself suggested it. All I need to know is whether or not there's a good way to use those. What would you recommend to do this?

If it doesn't work out, I'll get back to my old resources and try to fix the palette issue.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”