Z-QUAKE: Doom TC of the Original Quake (RESOURCES UPDATE!)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
XutaWoo

Re: Z-QUAKE Doom TC of the Original Quake (GrenadeLauncher HELP)

Post by XutaWoo »

Blade3327 wrote:All the other weapons (as you could see) were done.
I counted 3 that weren't nearly true to Quake.
Blade3327

Post by Blade3327 »

Well, yeah. By "were done," I meant those weapons were finished. The only wep left to do is the launcher. As I said, weapon keyconfigs and damage will be changed, after the final weapon is done.
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

1. Lightning Gun acts COMPLETELY different in Quake.
2. Shotgun uses Shells in Quake.
3. Nailgun actually fires nails.

They're not finished.
Blade3327

Post by Blade3327 »

Sigh... They're not finished in terms of Quake-like behavior. I know these things, I'm just not doing them... execpt for the Shotgun shell thing. After the grenade launcher is finished and the weapon slots are edited, I'll change the ammo required for each weapon according to Quake. Damage amounts for the weps will also be changed.
As for the ThunderBolt and Nailgun firing thing, that's probably not gonna happen... at least with my current DECORATE skill level. Sorry.

Lastly, the weps (besides the grenade launcher) are definitely not my main concern, right now. I still haven't gotten any ideas for getting the EDGE mod Quake enemies into Z-QUAKE. Two different ports, might encounter some issues...

That and the launcher are all I'm worrying about for now, as they're the biggest obstacles that keep me from progressing with the rest of the project. Can't start the levels until the resources are taken care of.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
EDIT:

I'm replacing the Doom ammo sprites with the Quake ones. I've also changed the teleporter and explosion sprites. This is being done by extracting the sprites from the EDGE mod as bitmaps and using them to replace the sprites in Doom.
This stuff is easy, as it doesn't involve a lot of frames.
I'm sure as heck not gonna handle the monsters this way. They need their own programming, that's for sure. I'm wondering if any of their codes in EDGE could be transferred somehow.
Ach! In fact, any ideas for how to get 'em in my WAD (except for the extracting/pasting) will do.
SoulCrow

Post by SoulCrow »

Blade3327 wrote:As for the ThunderBolt and Nailgun firing thing, that's probably not gonna happen... at least with my current DECORATE skill level. Sorry.
You can at least try. Even if you feel you are unsuccessful and eventually the weapons aren't implemented with DECORATE, you'll still be learning new things, and this will help you in future projects.

It seems ironic that you choose one of the most advanced and feature rich sourceports out there in which to recreate Quake, and then decide to neglect a number of it's features. When you originally announced this project (in another thread), it sounded like it had great potential. ZDoom is at a point now where recreating Quake's gameplay really isn't that hard to do, yet - in terms of weapons at least - you basically want to just reskin the weapons. If this project was aimed at vanilla Doom then it would make sense because your options would be very limited, but you're using ZDoom.

Regardless, what are your intentions for the enemies? Using the enemy definitions for QDoom is probably going to be very difficult, as each sourceport handles custom monsters/weapons in different ways (for one, DECORATE is laid out quite specifically, so it isn't really going to be a copy-paste job). If you are able to find exactly how the custom monsters in QDoom were created, what were you planning to do with that information? The other irony is that despite the fact you've said you don't want to deal with DECORATE regarding most of the weapons, you're probably still going to have to resort to DECORATE to recreate Quake's monsters - unless you were planning for those to be reskins as well.

For most projects people would argue that if you don't want to use DECORATE, then that's your choice. However, with a project of this nature and because this is a recreation and not something built entirely from scratch, people have expectations and would compare this project to the original Quake itself upon release, and at the rate things are going it's not going to compare favourably. Don't give up so easily on DECORATE. It's not as if you have a fixed schedule to work by - you have as much time as you need. Other projects take years to complete - you just need a little patience and perseverance.
Blade3327

Post by Blade3327 »

Well, okay. I've thought about it and came up with some possible ideas...

I just recently found out that I can in fact create a DECORATE to customize existing Doom weps (since I used reskins). I can call the actor QuakeNailgun and then still say "chaingun replaces chaingun." Just what I needed, and I can change the ammo requirements for 'em too!

Well, here's another thought. For now, I might at least be able to fix the nailgun issue. I'll create a DECORATE for the chaingun and tell it to fire the same plasma projectiles that the plasmagun fires (because as we all know, I reskinned the plasmagun to the SuperNailgun and the plasma projectiles to nails). How's that? Seems doable enough. Then the nailgun can fire something accurate to its counterpart in Quake!

As for the EDGE monsters, thanks for addressing that issue. That's gonna be a toughie to do. First off, even if I do decide to do it I need to know something: is there a way in XWE or SLumpEd to extract a mass amount of lumps (sprites, in my case) at once?
Then I'll have the sprites by themselves and decide what to do with them. Or... I can simply copy/paste the sprite lumps from the EDGE mod and do a DECORATE using their names in Z-QUAKE. To make the mapping for these easier, they can even be made replace the Doom monsters (via DECORATE this time, not reskinning).

I will say this: I'm fairly sure I can get away with reskinning the Revenant into the Vore :wink: . Behavior is similar enough. That's probably the only monster I could do that with, but hey, it makes things easier :D .

So yeah, my question at this point is if XWE or SLumpEd can mass extract/export more than one sprite at once :?: .

As far as mapping goes, I was planning on using the ZDoom map effects for this project (e.g: slopes, water, skyboxes, etc.).
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

Blade3327 wrote:is there a way in XWE or SLumpEd to extract a mass amount of lumps (sprites, in my case) at once?
Click on first thing.

Shift click on last thing.

Ctrl+C

Ctrl+P
Blade3327

Post by Blade3327 »

Wait a sec. I know that. That's for copy/paste. I'm talking about extracting multiple sprites at once. That way, individual bitmaps would be extracted. Any way to do that? At least I need to use extraction for the Revenant (to resking the original sprites with my extracted Vore bitmaps). Or do I have to select the sprites one-by-one and hit "export" for each?

The others, sure. I could copy/paste for (since they'll get seperate DECORATEs).
ProjectAngel

Post by ProjectAngel »

Blade3327 wrote:Wait a sec. I know that. That's for copy/paste. I'm talking about extracting multiple sprites at once. That way, individual bitmaps would be extracted. Any way to do that? At least I need to use extraction for the Revenant (to resking the original sprites with my extracted Vore bitmaps). Or do I have to select the sprites one-by-one and hit "export" for each?

The others, sure. I could copy/paste for (since they'll get seperate DECORATEs).
In XWE:

1. Click on the first thing.

2. Shift-click on the last thing.

3. Go to Entry -> Save As...
Blade3327

Post by Blade3327 »

Huh. I didn't know you could do that... Anyway, out of the blue, zrrion the insect sends me a PM offering to do the programming for weps and monsters. I told him for the grenade launcher and monsters, sure. If he really wanted to. Dunno why he does, but he's a lifesaver.

I said that I'll take care of the weapon ammo changes, the damage changes, and the nailgun issue. In fact, I just got the nailgun to fire my reskinned plasma balls via DECORATE. Now, it fires nails! Yippee!

Now, I'll mess around with the ammo. See what I can do :) . BoldEnglishman's right. I gotta at least do some stuff in DECORATE, enough to get used to it so I'm not firing blind in the future.

More updates as the magic happens. For now I'll experiment with wep ammo, then go to bed. It's been a long day...

Also decided to use my first chosen status bar (not the EDGE TC one). Why? Because the EDGE one has been used in so many projects. I'm still using its font pack, though! Lovin' the font pack...
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
EDIT:

I've run into some trouble w/ the Nailgun... As you can see, I've set it to fire the plasmaprojectile-
Spoiler:
But now, the weapon fire sprites become based on the plasmarifle fire sprites. Also, it changes to the sound I set the plasmarifle (SuperNailgun) to use when firing. What gives? I'm only telling it to use the projectile and now its changing up the whole weapon?

Also, I changed the ammo types for each wep-
Spoiler:
Even though I set the player to start with a pistol (that uses shells) and I also set him to start with 25 shells, he starts the game with no ammo whatsoever. Why?
Pretty much the only totally successful thing i managed to do was change the weapon slots and seperae the fist and chainsaw (axe and thunderbolt) from eachother.
I've basically included all of the code that I've edited in this post. Can any of you tell what's wrong?

I just need the chaingun to fire plasma projectiles (nails) without switching to the plasmarifle's fire sound and messing up the sprites, and I need the player to start with a pistol (shotgun) pre-armed with 25 shells.
What do I do?

P.S.: If it helps, you can create a DECORATE in my previous graphics demo and paste the contents of this message's second spoiler. To see the problems I'm having in-game; I might not be using the right words - it's difficult to describe some stuff.
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

Don't make new actors with the same name as old actors like that. If you want something to replace a chaingun, for example, do something like

Code: Select all

actor NailGun replaces Chaingun
{
 (insert rest of actor here)
}
See also: [wiki]Using inheritance[/wiki].
SoulCrow

Post by SoulCrow »

1) For the Nailgun, are the sprites correctly labelled? Make sure that the sprites you are using are the sprites the DECORATE is referencing (so for the Nailgun, it currently uses the CHGG sprites).
2) As Ethril mentioned, define new actors that inherit from old ones. With inheritance, you can tell an actor to inherit from another actor, and then only change small details. For example, you could create a new actor called "QuakePlayer", tell it to inherit from "DoomPlayer" (where it currently says "PlayerPawn"), and then only change the start items and weaponslots. This way, the QuakePlayer will be identical to the DoomPlayer apart from the changes that you have so specified. I'm not sure exactly what is causing the problem with the starting items, but this might help.
3) Creating a new actor and inheriting from an old one is probably the route you want to take with the Nailguns, using the method outlined above. Also, I believe A_FirePlasma will fire a plasmaball no matter which graphic is trying to replace it (because the command itself is very specific). Replace that line with "A_FireCustomMissile", and telling the new actor to fire Nails. You will of course need to define another new actor (the Nails themselves), but if you want to you can once again just inherit from another original actor.
Blade3327

Post by Blade3327 »

Okay, I'm trying to use inheritance. Here's my new chaingun code:
Spoiler:
And the code for the custommissile (Nails which are based on the PlasmaBall):
Spoiler:
I'm not going to rename the weapon actors, because that does not seem to have anything to do with this particular situation.

Lastly, here's my newly renamed Player (like you suggested). Unfortunately, he still starts the game w/ no shotgun rounds in the pistol (QuakeShotgun). Also the weapon slots I set for him also no longer apply, ever since I changed the name. This is the section of the player's code that I messed with (there's no need to paste the whole thing:
Spoiler:
How do I fix this? BTW, the nailgun now makes no sound when firing, even though I told it to use "dschngun" (the nailgun firing sound). Also, it doesn't show the orange firing effects at the tips of the barrels when I fire.
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

Blade3327 wrote:I'm not going to rename the weapon actors, because that does not seem to have anything to do with this particular situation.
Perhaps not, but it may cause problems down the road. It's not a big deal to change the names, anyway.
Blade3327

Post by Blade3327 »

I'll tackle that problem when/if it comes. For now, what am I doing wrong with my newly attached DECORATE codes?

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”