[Hexen] Serpent: Resurrection [New version 09/2017]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TheMightyHeracross

Re: [Hexen] Serpent: Resurrection [New player classes 05/201

Post by TheMightyHeracross »

GZDoom is basically ZDoom with extra OpenGL features- although newer versions use OpenGL 3.0, so if you want the newest features but don't have that version or higher, get ZDoom. Also, get the dev builds off DRDTeam, they're more up to date.

EDIT: Because TheStupidHeracross doesn't know where he got SVN from. Just saw it somewhere.
Last edited by TheMightyHeracross on Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

I thought ZDoom and GZDoom used GitHub these days, not SVN.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

DoomRater wrote:I thought ZDoom and GZDoom used GitHub these days, not SVN.
Yeah, SVN is only still used as common parlance because that's where they used to be found. Nowadays, the site's DRD Team Dev Builds, with the name changed to reflect that few projects really use SVN anymore.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

Raxu Rangerking wrote:Is GZDoom or ZDoom better?
That is something only you can decide. Download them both and try them out.

Raxu Rangerking

Post by Raxu Rangerking »

^Which of those is which? Also, I just got ZDoom, but I wanna be able to change the controls for Hexen. Is there any way to do that?
Kappes Buur

Post by Kappes Buur »

The Ultimate DooMer wrote:Updated on idgames now.
I really wanted this to work for me, but, playing at 1920 x 1080, the small text spoiled it for me.
Even at a reduced resolution, 1024 x 720, the text is still too small for comfortable reading.
Raxu Rangerking

Alright, so I installed GZDoom, in the version recommended here. However, when I drag-and-drop serpent.wad on to gzdoom, I only get the basic Hexen opening screen, with the basic 3 classes. Then when I try to, say, start a Fighter, I enter the start of the mod, but several parts of the room lack any textures and are just checkers. There's also a message at the top of the screen saying it doesn't know the armor limit, and that it doesn't recognize a texture called something like 'flatawa1'. Also, it doesn't seem to be rolling any stats when I pull the lever. Then when I pull the switch behind me, it just says ''Player killed himself'', I lose 6 health, and the game freezes while Winnowing Hall starts playing. What's going on?
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ozymandias81 »

You must create a batch file like this (I don't remember exactly SR filenames but I am pretty sure there was a pk3 and a wad):

Code: Select all

gzdoom.exe -iwad hexen.wad -file serpent.pk3 -file serpent.wad -config YOURCONFIGNAMEHERE.ini
Keep in mind that you must use this batch inside your gzdoom folder + all serpent files inside the same folder. To create a batch file, create an empty txt file, copypaste above code, save it, rename the txt file as a .bat file and run it. Or go for ZDL, that's the simplier way (it's an awesome frontend to manage all your wads for any IWADs and quite any existing ports).
Kappes Buur

Post by Kappes Buur »

Raxu Rangerking wrote:.... However, when I drag-and-drop serpent.wad on to gzdoom, I only get the basic Hexen opening screen, ....
You have to highlight 3 files:
serpent.wad which holds just the levels
serpent.pk3 which holds all the resources
and possibly serpmus1.wad or serpmus2.wad which hold the music

then drag and drop those onto the GZDoom Icon.

Or, alter the supplied bat files with the appropriate paths.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

Keep in mind that the files will likely be loaded in the order they appear in the file manager. (I dunno what file manager you're using and what Windows exactly does)
If you're using the normal alphabetical sorting and no grouping and select A.PK3, A.WAD and B.WAD it'll be loaded in the ordering they're in, which would be in alphabetical order.
There are also a few launchers for (G)ZDoom and it should be easy to use the Windows command line to launch (G)ZDoom.

Here's an example of a command-line launch:

Code: Select all

gzdoom.exe -iwad doomTWO.wad "super dooper dewm mod.pk3" -skill 4 +map map32
This will launch GZDoom with doomTWO.wad as the IWAD*, load the super dooper dewm mod.pk3** file, start the game in the Nightmare skill and warp to map 32.

* You can use anything for the IWAD argument, as long as it is a valid file (Maybe it has to be a WAD too? I can't remember).
** You can load files using absolute paths or relative paths. To load files with spaces in the path (For example, "C:\Doom II\HR.WAD", "C:\Doom\Shitfest 2015.WAD" or "..\..\Doom II\SuperCoolMap.WAD") you must enclose the path in quotes. (") You can load files without including "-file" before the file path.
Raxu Rangerking

Alright; I've been playing the mod for a good awhile now and it's awesome. My last question is how I access, say, older character voices and older music files. I've tried loading only serpmus1, but that just makes there be no music at all. Is there any way to do that?
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

wildweasel wrote:
Raxu Rangerking wrote:Does this work when running Hexen on DOSBOX? If so, how?
It does not; this requires some version of ZDoom or GZDoom running Hexen, because so many of the new features are used that DOS Hexen wouldn't know what to do with any of it.
Raxu Rangerking wrote:Is GZDoom or ZDoom better?
Kappes Buur wrote:That is something only you can decide. Download them both and try them out.
It's GZDoom only, due to some of the features used. If you load it in ZDoom you'll see a number of things missing...particularly 3D slopes and dynamic lighting. I've never actually tried to do that, and it may actually function with ZDoom (as the GZDoom stuff is purely visual) but it won't look anywhere near as good. (and you'd need a console cheat for the torch)

The standalone mods will actually work fully in ZDoom though. (except for torch and lights as seen above)
launcher, bat file, drag-and-drop issues
The bat files in the zip should work regardless of folder structure, as long as everything is in the same folder. (including IWAD, configs etc.)
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

Unknown script error when attempting to open the door behind Korax after fighting him.

Also, is there a .ogg, .wav or mp3 version of the sountracks?
Extropist

Post by Extropist »

I've been trying to play this, but run into a weird error where moving objects just flicker instead of move. The switches at the start just flicker, but if I alt+tab, then they function and raise about half-way. The trapdoor into the first real level also flickers, and will trap me if I stay on it, while the door flickers and does not open - alt-tabbing does not ameliorate either of these latter issues. I can't really progress past that.

Note: Sorry, it was kind of late when I wrote this, I forgot to mention that GZDoom was 1.810-1216.
Last edited by Extropist on Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

4thcharacter wrote:Unknown script error when attempting to open the door behind Korax after fighting him.
Yeah, it appears that I introduced that after adding the bonus playerboss fights. There was some other stuff that needed fixing anyway (mainly to do with the new characters), so a new version has gone up.
Also, is there a .ogg, .wav or mp3 version of the sountracks?
Sadly not, as the formats don't convert to each other. You can still extract them from the wads and play them in winamp etc. though.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”