[Hexen] Serpent: Resurrection [New version 09/2017]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: [Hexen] Serpent: Resurrection (Beta download on p1 & p4)

Post by Chris »

The Ultimate DooMer wrote:
All the overridden, custom keys really break the fun. Not only is it difficult to find good keys to use, trying to remember what's what and use them in the middle of play is nearly impossible. Can't the normal navigation keys, weapon slots, and inventory selection be used?
I didn't know about GetPlayerInput (and I'm not sure how to implement it without defining new menu keys or without disabling player movement while the menu is active), the weapon keys just need to be redefined by the player (as Hexen's hardcoded item hotkeys were overriding slots 5+ when I tried to add my own defaults) and all the inventory hotkeys are optional like Hexen 2.
You mean the inventory keys should work normally, with the new extra keys just being "quick access"? I can't seem to access the inventory with the ] and [ keys; nothing comes up (none of my potions, scrolls, rings, or gold).
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

Also, you cannot "hotkey" inventory items to weapon slots anymore; that was deemed a bug in the first place and you have to redefine the keys to the numbers if you want to do this.
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

Chris wrote:You mean the inventory keys should work normally, with the new extra keys just being "quick access"? I can't seem to access the inventory with the ] and [ keys; nothing comes up (none of my potions, scrolls, rings, or gold).
If your screen size is set to max, it needs to be on the 2nd highest setting see the inventory. (and gold isn't on the inventory, it's used automatically when you buy stuff)
perfectpitchrob

Post by perfectpitchrob »

So far, I'm about at the halfway point and I'm very impressed. This seems to be a logical step up in quality from Super Sonic Doom (and that is still one of my favorite doom wads). In fact, I have very few nitpicks, comments, and one request for help -

1 - The bats are VERY annoying and hard to hit in the game.
2 - For the door keys that you pick up, is there a way to tell what their names are? When I was in the volcano level, I picked one up, but the name of it flashed away very quickly.
3 - I like how when new enemies spawn in, their spawning point is near to where you are, (as opposed to being all over the entire map). I usually hate when new enemies come in and raise the kill counter, but this wasn't so bad.
4 - I'm playing as the warrior, and it is very hard to jump. Is that just because of his class, or is it like that for all the characters?
5 - For a personal question that I need help on and something that probably should be corrected -
Spoiler:
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

1 - The bats are VERY annoying and hard to hit in the game.
They're easier to get with ranged weapons...but the fighter doesn't get much of that as we know. Still, perhaps their radius is too small...
2 - For the door keys that you pick up, is there a way to tell what their names are? When I was in the volcano level, I picked one up, but the name of it flashed away very quickly.
The console keeps all the messages that appear during that GZDoom session, bring it down to see what you picked up. (it's a ruby key you got in the fire map)

3 - I like how when new enemies spawn in, their spawning point is near to where you are, (as opposed to being all over the entire map). I usually hate when new enemies come in and raise the kill counter, but this wasn't so bad.[/quote]

There's only a fixed number of spawns too, none of that unlimited respawn stuff here.
4 - I'm playing as the warrior, and it is very hard to jump. Is that just because of his class, or is it like that for all the characters?

Dexterity raises jump height (fighter is the best class for it, but I sometimes wonder if the base height is too low), and jump boots are needed for some things regardless of dex.
5 - For a personal question that I need help on and something that probably should be corrected
Spoiler:
perfectpitchrob

That is indeed the one I missed. Thanks for the help!
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

The Ultimate DooMer wrote:If your screen size is set to max, it needs to be on the 2nd highest setting see the inventory.
Right, thanks.
(and gold isn't on the inventory, it's used automatically when you buy stuff)
Is there some place to see how much gold you have? It doesn't seem to be shown on the HUD.
Gez

Post by Gez »

The RPG menu key (which you have to bind) shows it. It's a pretty important key since it's also where you can set your points when you gain levels.
Ichor

Post by Ichor »

Gez wrote:The RPG menu key (which you have to bind) shows it. It's a pretty important key since it's also where you can set your points when you gain levels.
Yeah, that reminds me. That pointer doesn't seem to be aligned with the menu options, so it's hard to tell what it's on, and you might end up accidentally giving yourself the wrong attribute.
Dancso

Post by Dancso »

I sometimes wonder why most people never use SetHudSize. :shrug:
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

ZDooM have so many features right now that its quite hard to know all of them.
Nash

Post by Nash »

I am so inclined to volunteer to write a proper SBARINFO for this mod... :P

TUD, I hope you address the problem with having to define so many custom keys. It's very inconvenient for players...

[wiki]GetPlayerInput[/wiki] is your friend! :D
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

Actually, offering some help on things that are new about ZDoom would be a great idea! Modders that have been doing things in other ways might not research to see if there are new stuff- that's why I tried to stay on top and do that research so that I know about the new features and then I can tell the people who know how to use them that there is a project that could benefit from it.

No reason we can't help each other out a bit, just gotta specialize in one field and let other people specialize in theirs!
Ichor

Post by Ichor »

Ok, I noticed a few things:

For some odd reason, some of the enemies (like centaurs and brown chaos serpents) seem to fire straight out instead of down towards the player.

In certain areas where you need to use a gunpowder barrel to remove a barrier, if you destroy the barrel beforehand (like a stray shot around a group of enemies, or shooting the barrels to kill nearby enemies before you realize that you would need them later, etc.) and there's none left, you'll be stuck. That happened to me around that barrier leading to the cauldron, and I had to summon a barrel to continue onward. Maybe if you made another type of barrel similar to the exploding barrel, but it would look a little different and be inert. This would give people the idea that this is a special barrel that needs to be used to solve a puzzle. Or perhaps it could be an item like a bomb or bundle of TNT or something.

I noticed that several maps later on seem to be designed for players that can jump a fair height. Sure, you might have enough dexterity at that point, but suppose you dumped it all into other places. You would be using jumping boots all the time. What I was thinking is maybe raise the minimum jumping height to around the doomguy's height, with a full dexterity being able to jump maybe twice as high (i.e. around 90-100 units high). Minimum speed could be bumped up as well, since it can be tricky for a mage to make it through parts of the fire map (map 4?).

Another suggestion is for constitution to determine damage reduction. The higher the constitution, the less damage you take (or perhaps just melee damage).

Oh yeah, the lightbringer eats up ammo like crazy.
perfectpitchrob

Made it to the final section. So far this is still really good (although I think that in map 18, there were WAY too many two headed dogs, and seeing how they are very tough, I ran out of mana and just ended up evading them. It's like fighting 15 baron of hells and after they're dead, having to fight 15 more, and so-on.

Anyways, I'm stuck in map 24
Spoiler:
Also, on map 23, for some reason, the automap got minimized as small as it can be, and I can't change it back by pressing - or +. That affects the entire map, even if I return there after visiting another one, or even just warping. I don't know if it's something I pressed or a bug.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”