[Contest] Doom mutator contest! ENDS OCTOBER 1ST

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Imp Hunter

Re: [Contest] Doom mutator contest!

Post by Imp Hunter »

Do it compatible with DM maps and you'll be my new God :mrgreen:
ThatOneZDoomer
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by ThatOneZDoomer »

I like where this is going, since it'll force people to be creative by changing the game play experience just by using the resources that comes with the IWad. Also reminds me a bit of mutators of Unreal Tournament fame.

Anyway, I hope the deadline isn't too soon from now, since I finally have an idea that might take some time (in part due to me being lazy :wink: ) to work out.
Mik57

Post by Mik57 »

alysium, you are epic. That's my favorite mutator so far.
alysiumX

Post by alysiumX »

Mik57 wrote:alysium, you are epic. That's my favorite mutator so far.
Thanks Im currently working on a DM version which is almost there, i just want to rewrite the spawn code for more flexibility first.
ThatOneZDoomer
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by ThatOneZDoomer »

Alright, here's my beta entry, which is a different take on the way you play the game. It may not be well likely due to the departure, but it's not like I'm gonna lose anything if that happens. Anyway...
  • You start off with all the weapons. They have been slightly redesigned to be more balanced with each other. The fist always does Berserk damage. The chainsaw is twice as fast. The pistol does four times as much damage (might still be too weak) and always hits dead on target, perfect for sniping without tapping the fire button. The shotgun is automatic. Finally, the chaingun is twice as fast.
  • All weapons except the BFG9000 shares ammo, which drain at different rates depending on what weapon you're using.
  • You can switch weapons right away without waiting for them to raise or lower.
  • All enemies (except Commander Keen) have been modified. They now "smart" fast chase (except for pinkies), which means they shouldn't fall off anything, but at the same time, should still fall off if pushed. Upon killing them, you gain some ammo and armor that protects you from all damage, which is important due to the next change.
  • No more items except power ups are now found on the maps and the power ups themselves have slight changes. They now give additive time if you pick up more then one. The Berserk gives 100 BFG9000 ammo.
  • Health and armor both capped at 100 instead of 200.
Basically, the game play is much more focused on killing and less on item hunting. Yes, I am aware that the name is highly unoriginal, but I like to think of it as a placeholder. I'm having a very hard time thinking of a name that I feel like fits. Since it's still beta, I think the balance is likely to be off in regards to ammo and armor gain from enemies, and possibly may be even too easy. All that can change however.

Is zip/pk3 format allowed? If not, I can edit this entry into a wad file.
Attachments
TOZDDoom.zip
(6.49 KiB) Downloaded 305 times
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

Ethril wrote:edit again: Does changing the pitch/speed of a vanilla doom sound count as a "new resource", thus breaking the rules? If so, I'll have to come up with a replacement for one of my zanier ideas... :?
:(
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

Sorry I missed that post. It doesn't if you use SNDINFO to change the pitch. Editing resources is illegal (for this compo) :)
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

Cutmanmike wrote:Sorry I missed that post. It doesn't if you use SNDINFO to change the pitch. Editing resources is illegal (for this compo) :)

Alright, awesome. Now I just need to figure out how to change the pitch in SNDINFO *without* it being a random range. :P
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

You'll hate this but you have to have random pitch sounds on in order for the $pitch stuff in SNDINFO to work. Makes sense right? :P I wish there was a definite way to adjust the pitch of something WITHOUT having that option on, because I assume 90% people don't use it.
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

Well, it's not quite finished yet, but here's what I've been dicking around with since like last month, before this even started.I sort of ran out of inspiration halfway through (Modder's Block?), which is why it's not finished. This is just the demo version, I guess. 8-)
It needs a real name, too. The working title is "Annoying Monsters"; Not all of them are annoying, but some of them are obnoxious enough to make up for the ones that aren't.
As you can guess by the name, it's just a silly monster replacement. Shoddy color translations, insanity, and general overpoweredness all around.

Currently replaced/"upgraded" monsters:
-Zombieman
-Shotgun Guy
-Chaingun Guy
-Imp
-Demon
-Spectre
-Revenant
-Lost Soul
-Pain Elemental
-Cyberdemon
-Wolfenstein SS
-There's a few extra surprises, too. :twisted:
(some maps may be impossible without cheating due to changes. Big deal, it's not finished yet anyway :V)

Have fun with my self-taught crash course in DECORATE. Please. I'll cry if you don't. :P

(I WILL edit this post later once I get more work done.)
Edit: Check page 5.
Last edited by Ethril on Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Infirnex

Post by Infirnex »

Here is my mutator, EndurancE DooM! Because my skulltag version is not eligible, i made a zdoom version.

You start off with a certian amount of health. Your choices are

-25000 Health/25 Bullets :mrgreen:
-10000 Health/50 Bullets :D
-5000 Health/75 Bullets :)
-2500 Health/100 Bullets :|
-1000 Health/125 Bullets :(
-100 Health/150 Bullets :cry:
-1 Health/200 Bullets :shock:

the other change is that there are NO HEALTH PICKUPS!! :!: They are replaced by Armor pickups, as follows:

Health Bonuses = Armor Bonuses
Stimpacks = Armor Bonuses
Medkits = Green Armor
Soul Spheres = Blue Armor
Mega Spheres = Blue Armor

Also, the berserk doesn't heal you. However, the steroids effect is still there.

EDIT: The amount of health also effects the amount of ammo you have.

Download
Last edited by Infirnex on Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

BUMP

I hope you boys and gals didn't forget about this. I will be setting a voting date soon. :)

Voting will work like this: I will make a new thread, and you have to post with the name of the mod that you think is the best. I won't be using a poll simply because anyone could simply register and make a single vote.

Still accepting entries. PLEASE follow the guidelines if you want to enter (screenshot + clear description), it makes it easier for all of us. I've edited the first post with a list of entries. Anyone who posted something that was "work in progress" or "unfinished" has not been added to the list and not entered to the contest. If you want it in, finish it off and repost it.

Still not sure what the prize could be, but I will put up a page containing all these small mutators with screenshots on Cutstuff.net, and the winner will be highlighted at the top with a bigger description, comments from the voters and maybe some other cool stuff ;)
hnsolo77

Post by hnsolo77 »

AKA i need to get my ass in gear, because im thinking of just restarting mine from scratch... i succeeded in making it a truly n00b thing imo and that is disturbing to me... somehow...
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

Here's another entry for me
The Eye Gauntlet

Sorry for the crap screenshot. This mod turns all the monsters into evil eyes and all the weapons and other useless junk into fancy powerups. What's the idea? All the evil eye monsters are like turrets that are constantly trying to fire weak railguns at you. They see you, they beep, they shoot. Dodging one of them is fairly easy. The problem is they're EVERYWHERE, and it'll take some skill to avoid them all WHILE navigating your favourite Doom levels! Luckily there's new inventory powerups that replace the weapons that can you help you out, such as a Leap orb, Dash orb, Shield orb and Health orb. You can carry them, and any extra health you obtain, over levels. There's also 3 difficulty settings to choose from. Hard is what it is. HARD! I prefer my eyes on medium.

How far can you get? :)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/gmmyil
Infirnex

Post by Infirnex »

Bump #2

Anyway, updated my mutator. The amount of health you select also effects the amount of ammo you start of with.

BTW, That Eye Gauntlet mutator dosen't qualify, as your killall mutator is already in the contest.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”