[v1.0.0] Psychic -- HEY LOOK ITS RELEASED NOW

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [WIP] Psychic -- Beta #5b, now with Raven & Strife!

Post by Ed the Bat »

zrrion the insect wrote:...the way it is now works, so it really doesn't need to be changed.
That doesn't mean it's not a gross, unnecessary hack.

Also, I'd like to mention that weapons/attacks that use gravity-prone projectiles really do not play nicely with autoaim. Perhaps this could provide more motivation for devs to consider the selective autoaim suggestion that's been languishing for the past seven months?

Lastly, as a suggestion, have you considered using the (relatively) new custom CVAR system to control player shooting style (automatic/manual), instead of separate playerclasses? This would allow for a lot of code to be condensed, as well as providing indecisive players with the opportunity to change from one mode to the other without having to start again from scratch.

EDIT: Took it upon myself to implement the CVAR system, as well as fix a lot of the poor formatting/deprecated function calls in DECORATE, etc. Try it out?
Ikazu-san

Post by Ikazu-san »

There seems to be a problem with modified Sigil (that uses PP) as it can't damage Spectre's. Getting original one (that uses health) through console and using it to kill a Spectre is the only way to advance for now.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

@Ed: A lot of Psychic's code is old holdovers from the "before I knew how to actually program" days, and some other things (instant weapon switch, normal/automatic fire, buy menu) are not implemented particularly well. At this point, though, things have reached the point where "it works and it's basically done" and I'm hesitant to refactor things just for the sake of refactoring them. I'll give your edits a try though and see how they work.

FYI, the playerclasses were done that way so that the fire mode can be selected on new game (t'was trying to emulate DMC at the time) -- Can't remember whether or not that was added in b5 or post-b5, but it exists now, finally. :P

@Ikazu-san: Hmm, that's a known issue, and I'm scratching my head trying to figure out whether or not I fixed that in the build on my HDD.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Xaser wrote:"it works and it's basically done"
Be that as it may, I've seen some rather unsettling issues with ZDoom concerning deprecated functions. For instance, A_PlaySoundEx caused bizarre levels of lag on my machine, which was fixed by updating to A_PlaySound. Ever since I learned that, I've had something of an intense fixation on replacing deprecated methods with more proper ones. Though, as I recently bought a more powerful machine, it may be less of an issue in my case now, but the mindset remains.

And yes, b5 has firing mode selected as a playerclass, but I get uncomfortable about game-defining mechanics like that being set in stone from the beginning of the adventure. I always prefer the option to change them down the road, if I so please.
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

I don't think anyone's gonna be "Duke Dick and shit down your pants" for updating some code and submitting fixes to the main code block.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

DoomRater wrote:"Duke Dick and shit down your pants"
I have no idea on Earth what this is supposed to mean.
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

just look up Morgan Freeman saying Duke Nukem lines and go wtf at them. I don't even either.
Megamur

Post by Megamur »

I'm having a great time with this mod. It takes WADs that would otherwise be far too difficult for me and gives me a fighting chance by letting me buy equipment I need. And the weapons are balanced nicely so you can't fully rely on guns or psychic attacks alone, and must mix-and-match to suit each situation.

I do wish a few things were tweaked, though. For one, does the ice power really have any use? Just seems like a typical projectile attack, except it freezes stuff when you hit it enough times and then you can shoot the target to break it apart. Seems like it'd just be more effective to use the plasma shot. What I think might be better would be a petrify spell. It would do no damage, but would simply turn the monster to stone temporarily. However, the monster would be invulnerable/have its defense greatly increased while petrified. The attack would mostly be for controlling the movements of your enemies. Say there's a tough enemy but you don't have time to kill it, so you just petrify it and escape. Or if you're being attacked from two directions, you could petrify the enemies on one side so you can focus on the attack coming from the opposite direction. Leveling it up would either increase the duration that your target is petrified, increase the odds that your target will be petrified (if there's random chance involved), or both. An overcharged shot would let you petrify multiple targets at once.

Additional skill levels would be nice, too. I'm only halfway through a 32-map WAD, and I've already maxed all of my weapons and psychic powers, and have 9999 money. Skill settings that would reduce the value of money pickups by a half or three-quarters would give the mod better staying power over long campaigns.

I also wonder if it'd be better to drop the overcharge bonus and just make it that players can hold down the alt-fire button to charge their psychic attacks manually (at greater cost to use, of course). Some powers change their functionality significantly when overcharged, which may actually make them less useful depending on the situation (like the dark power losing its hitscan nature when overcharged, and the fire attack forcing you to get much closer when overcharged than when normal). Manual charging would allow the player more strategic freedom.

Just a few things to consider. Anyway, thanks for making this mod! It's great fun. :)
Funky Gnoll

Post by Funky Gnoll »

The Ice power dramatically increases in strength once you have it at level 3, and the ice projectiles go through frozen enemies. It's a low cost power that can buy you time if you're being surrounded, is THE power to use against Pain Elementals (your shots will go through the frozen Lost Souls, and frozen Pain Elementals don't release extra Lost Souls when they shatter), and frozen enemies don't drop money until they shatter so you can be sure that you're not losing any cash.
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

Funky Gnoll wrote:The Ice power dramatically increases in strength once you have it at level 3, and the ice projectiles go through frozen enemies. It's a low cost power that can buy you time if you're being surrounded, is THE power to use against Pain Elementals (your shots will go through the frozen Lost Souls, and frozen Pain Elementals don't release extra Lost Souls when they shatter), and frozen enemies don't drop money until they shatter so you can be sure that you're not losing any cash.
An additional point that complements the last one is that enemies killed in ways more violently than the norm drop additional BM. Basically, anything that's not just shooting them in the face with a gun is going to make them drop extra money, shattering frozen enemies included.

Also, to the guy who said he had a fully upgraded arsenal and a fully upgraded array of powers...
Spoiler: Actually kind of spoiler-y!
Megamur

Post by Megamur »

Funky Gnoll wrote:The Ice power dramatically increases in strength once you have it at level 3, and the ice projectiles go through frozen enemies. It's a low cost power that can buy you time if you're being surrounded, is THE power to use against Pain Elementals (your shots will go through the frozen Lost Souls, and frozen Pain Elementals don't release extra Lost Souls when they shatter), and frozen enemies don't drop money until they shatter so you can be sure that you're not losing any cash.
I suppose that's true, but it still doesn't seem exceptionally useful, since tougher enemies take a while to freeze. I still think a power that immobilizes any enemy instantly but does little-to-no damage would be more useful than a power that basically just kills enemies in a fancier way.
twinkieman93 wrote:Also, to the guy who said he had a fully upgraded arsenal and a fully upgraded array of powers...
Spoiler: Actually kind of spoiler-y!
Yes, I maxed that out too, and had maximum money again within another map or two.

By the way, is the gravity power good for anything? Almost seems like that should be the default power instead of steel since it hardly does anything. At least steel is useful for bank shots around corners.

I also noticed that the flames that crawl across the ground when you use the fire power can actually go through teleporters. This doesn't have much bearing on gameplay, but it is kind of strange. I also think it'd be a good idea if the fire power was altered so that the flames couldn't cross onto floors that were greater than, say, 24 units higher than the floor height of the current sector. Having crawling fireballs climbing up out of really deep holes looks weird. It also makes the unstoppable wall-scaling ability of the earth power seem less useful.

Furthermore, I wish this mod had some kind of melee weapon. For one thing, tearing things to ribbons/beating them to a pulp up close and personal and being showered with riches would just be gratifying. But beyond that, I just think it'd be more properly balanced if there was a silent melee weapon, and removing the silent properties of the needle gun. As it stands...
Spoiler: If you want to win Psychic, read this.
So I think a silent melee weapon would be at least a little more balanced and dangerous for the player to use.
Wivicer
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Wivicer »

I realize I'm bumping an old(ish) thread, but I'd like to report a bug: I can't deselect the sigil when playing strife in gzdoom.

EDIT:

Realized I was playing with Ed the Bat's modified version. the normal version seems to work just fine.
erni945

Post by erni945 »

Hey Xaser , I wanted to report a mistake but I'm not sure because I played in Wolfen , and when I found the clock gear I could not put it in the clock so I'm not sure if it's a bug or maybe just is not compatible with this campaign because I tried to go Shadows of Chronos and there was no problem with the transition , so now the question arises whether it is something to do with it at all to do? thank you in advance for your answer
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Wolfen does things that by today's standards are considered bad and weird. It's not shocking that it'd break like porcelain when combined with gameplay mods.
erni945

Post by erni945 »

Kinsie wrote:Wolfen does things that by today's standards are considered bad and weird. It's not shocking that it'd break like porcelain when combined with gameplay mods.
I'm only if you can do something about that Psychic compatible with Wolfen because I have to admit that the game for this modification is pretty cool :)

Return to “Gameplay Mods”