[v0.2a Re-release] Blocks of Doom II - Seeking contributors!

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: [v0.2a Re-release] Blocks of Doom II - Open development!

Post by Jimmy »

Run it with the latest ZDoom SVN. r1599 or above should run it smoothly.
dljosef

Post by dljosef »

Two question about the editor:

1. How can I make the teleport blocks work? I'm currently making a teleport maze.
2. Where do I make the player's starting point?
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

The Editing Documentation section 4.5 details how to make teleporters - but it has to be done with a lump editor in the SCRIPTS lump. Not a lot of ACS knowledge is required while editing it, though.

To change the player's start position, you edit the Local_Levels array in the SCRIPTS lump (see section 3.5 of the Editing Documentation). Guys, read it! :P

By the way, dljosef, if you're making a teleport maze, it might be worth just laying out the teleporters on paper or something since there's no immediate way of setting teleporter links with the editor. Just a thought.
Jimmy

Re: [v0.2a Re-release] Blocks of Doom II - Seeking contributors!

Post by Jimmy »

This project hasn't had a lot done to it in recent weeks, so I'd like to get the ball rolling again. :P Any contributions you guys can offer to the project will be very much appreciated. On our forum you can download the latest development "alpha" (which, since 0.2(a)'s release, has changed dramatically) and use it as a template to build new levels and even new tiles or tilesets. We need quite a few levels yet, but we're also open to any of your suggestions regarding ACS library features or new aspects to the gameplay. :D

The project, overall, is pretty much half-done. If you're feeling kinda creative right now, hop over to our development forums and claim a level slot! :)
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

With much of the current development team bogged down with real life crap and alternate Doom projects, the ambitious Blocks of Doom II project is in desperate need of more contributors.

Below is a list of links to pages associated with the project - the top two are where you can visit to contribute to the project, the others are all for regular updates on the project's progress (which admittedly haven't been updated in a while). Registering at the forum is simple (no admin/manual activation required) and the project itself is relatively easy to create levels for, since it comes with its own ACS-based level format and a brand new level editor.

<< Development Forum >> - Register here to get semi-regular updates from the development team. Check out some of the new (in-progress) levels!
<< Latest Releases >> - Go here to download the latest development alphas.

<< Blog Page >> - The project's main article. Updated most frequently.
<< "WADs In Progress" Page >> - Keep up to date with and leave comments on the project.
<< Mod Database (ModDB) Page >> - Lots of screenshots available here.

Hope to hear from some of you soon! :geek:

- Jimmy
StarScream

Post by StarScream »

Listen to this smart man, people. This is a fantastic project that needs more love. :wub:

After you get the hang of the already simple editor and the easy to understand ACS scripts, you can have fun creating maps for this. I know I do.
Grymmoire
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Grymmoire »

After I could have sworn I had done everything correctly, I put together a very small test tile, to see if I could put everything together correctly, and it gave me this:

Code: Select all

Line 14 in file "\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Administrator\Desktop\acc148win\SCRIPTS.acs" ...
\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Administrator\Desktop\acc148win\SCRIPTS.acs:14: Couldn't find include file "blocks.acs".
I followed the directions in the readme to the dot, and when it came to compiling, even with the latest acc, it just said "no"
This was really the main killer to my enthusiasm for trying out something new, and possibly being a contributor.

Yes, this is coming from the template wad. Also gave me the same error when I tried compiling with the DB2 compiler with the resource wad loaded, even though it loads after the map itself.

Even after merging the map with the resource wad and compiling, it gave me this error...
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Are you using the files from the latest alpha? Things have changed quite a bit since 0.2, and the Editing Documentation is a tad out of date. Anyway, from the looks of your error, you might have to extract the blocks ACS lump from the main WAD into your ACC directory. It should work then.

(Carlcyber will have a better idea of how to fix any compiling errors that arise since the files are all his work, after all. :P)
carlcyber

Post by carlcyber »

Hello. :P

Just as Jimmy said, you can try compiling the latest alpha, which is 0.3 alpha 4. The library file contains "BoD2Library", "ExtLib", and "BoD2_MSInitializer". Then you can look into any other files to examine how a level is setting up.

(blocks.acs might indicate you are trying to compile an ANCIENT version.)
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Ah, that's right. :P Man, I've been away from this project too long... :lol:
dljosef

Post by dljosef »

I collected every single sphere in world 1, but when I hit the use button when it said "hit use to enter the secret level" but it won't let me continue the game. Am I doing something wrong?
Grymmoire
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Grymmoire »

I had a similar problem, I didn't collect all the spheres, but when I did finish world 1, no matter how many times I pressed "use," I could not go on.
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

This has something to do with the position of the player in the little sector he gets teleported to. If he's facing the wrong way, you won't be able to continue. Moving the mouse should remedy it, though.
MidnightTH

Re: [v0.2a Re-release] Blocks of Doom II - Seeking contribut

Post by MidnightTH »

SO.. AWESOME!
Jimmy

Re: [v0.2a Re-release] Blocks of Doom II - Seeking contribut

Post by Jimmy »

Oh for shuck's sake, please stop bumping shit. :x

This hasn't been worked on in months. I've been busy with other stuff. Frankly, it'll be a bloody miracle if I do manage to release this thing before 2012 as I planned.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”