[v0.2a Re-release] Blocks of Doom II - Seeking contributors!

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: [v0.2 Release!] Blocks of Doom II

Post by Jimmy »

No other themes are planned for the project itself right now. It's very easy to make your own, though - check out the Editing Documentation part 4.3. :D

Also, is anyone getting "Missing" image errors while loading the themes with the editor? There might be a problem with the .btd files, but it doesn't happen to me. In case it does to anyone else, here's some revised btd files (thanks to Carlcyber).
Themes2.rar
Revised .btd files to alleviate the "Missing" image bug in the editor, if needed.
(1.48 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
StarScream

Post by StarScream »

Just a little something:
Spoiler:
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

:shock: Bloody hell, that's amazing! Didn't expect completely new tilesets this soon. :3: Looks like you have lots of different new tiles there (silver metal, green bricks and brown steps). Are these purely decorative or do they have certain functions?

Keep up the great work, I'll be looking forward to giving this new world a spin. ;)
StarScream

Post by StarScream »

Well, I do find making maps for this very fun. I've made 3 maps for this episode so far, I am thinking of a total of 10, and i have two other tile ideas, Tech and Industry. As for the new blocks, Silver metal ones (thinking about changing the texture) is a replacment for the ice texture, the green brick is a replacment for the falling bridges, and the brown steps for the gravel. however I am working on some ideas for other blocks now. I am not the best at ACS, so I am not sure how well I could code some new functions, but it can't hurt to try :wink: So far I have only used the original codes and mixed them all together to make intresting blocks. Expect falling lava bricks and fake exits!
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

StarScream wrote:Well, I do find making maps for this very fun. I've made 3 maps for this episode so far, I am thinking of a total of 10, and i have two other tile ideas, Tech and Industry.
Fancy posting the new .btd files for those worlds when you're done with 'em? Other people might want to use them. ;)
StarScream wrote:As for the new blocks, Silver metal ones (thinking about changing the texture) is a replacment for the ice texture, the green brick is a replacment for the falling bridges, and the brown steps for the gravel. however I am working on some ideas for other blocks now.
Hmm, I would strongly recommend using an "icy" texture for the slippery tiles or you could catch players totally unawares. While that is sorta the purpose of the mod, have you ever heard of a metal that people can actually slide over like an ice rink? :lol:

ICFLAT3 is a good flat to use for your tileset (found in the wad file) as it's grey, and obvious that it is in fact, ice.
StarScream wrote:I am not the best at ACS, so I am not sure how well I could code some new functions, but it can't hurt to try ;) So far I have only used the original codes and mixed them all together to make intresting blocks. Expect falling lava bricks and fake exits!
:o
Jimmy

Re: [Open Development] Blocks of Doom II: Download & contribute!

Post by Jimmy »

Just a reminder to everyone that this project is open development! Anyone else interested in making levels or even new worlds for this mod, don't be shy to post your ideas or contribute anything you like. :)
.+:icytux:+.

Post by .+:icytux:+. »

hey :D this looks kinda fun. i think im gonna do a space world if you let me :)

played the beta and its awesome. (but depressing when you fail xD)
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

.+:icytux:+. wrote:hey :D this looks kinda fun. i think im gonna do a space world if you let me :)
Go for it. ;)

Very few people are making levels for this project right now - and I've got some very good feedback from the few who have tried it so far. Come on guys, a lot of effort went into this!!! :tongue: Did you miss out on giving it (and the editing package) a try? The project really needs more level designers!

Here are a couple of screenshots of the level editor if you really need 'em.
Spoiler:
Dreadopp

Post by Dreadopp »

That's one sexy looking editor, Jimmy. ;P

I'll download the packages and mess around with it for a while. See if I can come up with something.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

This totally needs more attention. The new version is awesome, have I mentioned yet?

A bug I just found, though: If you slide across ice and bump into a door which you don't have the key (level 14 is a prime example), you get stuck. This may happen on normal walls too, but I haven't checked.

(Funny timing -- I discovered this the moment you signed off. :P )

Kudos to Jimmy and Carl anyhow. This is addictive, and there's a nice and shiny map editor here...
ProjectAngel

Post by ProjectAngel »

Wow. I used to love playing Chip's Challenge when I was younger, but I never thought there'd be a DOOM mod based on it.

I should download this.
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Xaser wrote:A bug I just found, though: If you slide across ice and bump into a door which you don't have the key (level 14 is a prime example), you get stuck. This may happen on normal walls too, but I haven't checked.

(Funny timing -- I discovered this the moment you signed off. :P )
Bah, just my luck. I thought this had been fixed, as well. :( You should bounce right off it - but if you take a look at the ACS lump for the map (if you dare :O) you'll see it uses a ThrustThing special, but only when the door gets opened. I don't really know at all how I thought it was meant to help. :roll:
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

Bump. As a fellow gimmicky modder I can't let this one go. You've obviously put batshit crazy effort into this. The title screen alone kicked my ass :o

Two things. First of all, I'm still not convinced with the camera angle changing. With the mouse, it still feels REALLY stiff. Would there be no way to change the camera depending on the way you're facing? The first person mode definitely helps, but it kinda steals the third person gimmick away.

Second, I can't seem to get the editor to work right. Either that or I'm being dumb. I open the program, load a theme, and the tiles are all "missing". Any ideas?
Jimmy

Re: [v0.2a Re-release] Blocks of Doom II - Open development!

Post by Jimmy »

The patch has been merged with the main WAD and it has been re-released as version 0.2a. The editing package has also been released separately. ;)

For future releases, check my new filespace at phenomer.net.
http://jimmy.phenomer.net/wad-files/

A development forum has also been created so all user contributions are in one place. Register there and show us your work! :P
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Blocks_of_Doom_II/

EDIT: Woah, Cutty. Didn't see your post there. :P

I (with some help from Apothem) recently implemented a new "free camera" mode that allows you to rotate the camera freely around the player in all directions. As for the editor, download the revised .btd files at the top of this page. That should fix it. :D
SoM

Re: [v0.2a Re-release] Blocks of Doom II - Open development!

Post by SoM »

I get a decorate error when I run 0.2a:

Script error, "j-blocks2v02a.wad:DECORATE" line 241:
"bouncetype" is an unknown actor property

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”