[Contest] The Beast 2009 - Results Up!

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Tormentor667

[Contest] The Beast 2009 - Results Up!

Post by Tormentor667 »

The Realm667 is offline as of now but that doesn't mean that I am not productive in any way. It has been a while since the first official Beastiary contest and considering the sheer amount of new sprite artists, decorate profs and new doomers, it's definitely time for another one, so I am proud to announce the official "Beast 2009" - be creative, be innovative, be a winner!

The rules are simple as always, here is a little summary to make sure that you won't miss anything:
  • Everyone may participate
  • You are allowed to submit unlimited entries
  • You are allowed to collaborate (e.g. 2 or more persons working on one monster]
  • Actors must be in DECORATE format (no Dehacked hacks or Edge stuff, but that should be clear)
  • There is no actor or code limit within your DECORATE file
  • You may use latest DECORATE functions which are present in upcoming SVNs (no official version limitation)
  • You are allowed to create friendly actors (e.g. healer actors)
  • Actors must not use any ACS additions
  • You are allowed to use new sounds
  • You are allowed and encouraged to use new sprites (recolors, edits, patchworks or new drawn)
  • Sprites must be in Doom/Heretic/Hexen/Strife style (e.g. Blake Stone, Wolfenstein 3D and similar games are allowed as well)
  • GLDEFs are not necessary but you are encouraged to add them (expect extra points as actors are being tested in GZDoom)
  • Your submissions must be posted in this topic or to each jury member via pm if you don't want to spoil your idea
  • The submission deadline is the 14th of April 2009, submissions after this day aren't accepted anymore
  • You must add a "CREDITS" lump into your WAD/PK3 file in the style of the Realm667.com Beastiary so it can be easily added later
I doubt that I forgot something but in case I will let you know if anything is going to be added.

The jury consists of 5 people, which are (in random order)
  • Ghastly Dragon
  • TheDarkArchon
  • Esselfortium
  • Icytux
  • Tormentor667
The jury (each of them on their own) will test your submissions (via thread or pm) and give a preassigned amount of points to their favorite monsters. Criterias are the behaviour (DECORATE), the sprites (edit, drawing, recolor) and the originality, so try to come up with something unique, new and innovative! To make things clear, the list is as follows:
  • 1st rank gets 8 points
  • 2nd rank gets 6 points
  • 3rd rank gets 5 points
  • 4th rank gets 4 points
  • 5th rank gets 3 points
After the jury has made their decision on the entries, the points will be summarized and the 3 winners will be announced. The individual jury decisions will be posted in this thread and after all 5 of them are done, we will sum up the point count. Simple, isn't it? ;) Just for the correctness: The jury is allowed to participate in the contest but they are not allowed to rate their own submissions.

Actually nothing of that at all. Doom is our hobby, no-one earns money with that hobby and in the end it's all about having fun and sometimes competing against each other to show off who has the best ideas, the best experience in drawing or editing sprites or most clever used skills in terms of decorate coding. But still, the winners will get some kind of honor, a little award that is going to look like this in the new beastiary:
Your entry will be highlighted as "The Beast 2009" and you get a hires version of this award that you can place on your homepage or somewhere else:
I know it's really not much, but as I already said: Take this competition as a little motivation to come up with something special :)

So, good luck, and may the competition begin!

We have a winner!
Finally, the votes from the jury are done and I calculated (twice) the results. But first of all I want to thank all of you for your submissions. I had a lot of fun testing all these monsters and the result has been more than pleasing. Most of these will make it to the Beastiary in the next few days when I have enough time to do that. The Top 10 of monsters looks as follows (where the number in the brackets defines the overall points given by the jury)
  • 1st (67) Eriance.Overlord.wad
  • 2nd (43) GhastlyDragon.Roach.wad
  • 3rd (42) Maelstrom.InfernoDemon.wad
  • 4th (32) Jimmy91.Firedrake.wad
  • 5th (28) LilWhiteMouse.Swarm.wad
  • 6th (27) GhastlyDragon.RepeaterZombie.wad
  • 7th (15) Tormentor667.ShadowBeast.wad
  • 8th (13) Jimmy91.Aracnorb.wad
  • 9th (11) Hnsolo77.Poe.wad
  • 10th (10) GhastlyDragon.JetpackZombie.wad
So congratulations to the winners, the Top 10. And thanks also to those who haven't made it (yet) into this list. Keep up your work, try to learn from the winners and let's see if there is another contest in the running year. For the winners, here are the small variants of your awards (the Top3 Trophy GFXs). If you need larger versions, let me know.

Image Image Image

Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Last edited by Tormentor667 on Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:36 am, edited 8 times in total.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Re: [Contest] The Beast 2009 - Compete Now!

Post by Ghastly »

As good a reason as any to finish the Roach. :D

A quick question, though, if judges can't vote on their own monsters, will someone else be chosen to vote on their behalf? Also, are we to give a rank on every criteria (I.e, 1st rank for sprites, 3rd for Decorate, etc.)?
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Ghastly_dragon wrote:Also, are we to give a rank on every criteria (I.e, 1st rank for sprites, 3rd for Decorate, etc.)?
No, it's just that the judges take every criteria in consideration when assigning their personal ranks.
A quick question, though, if judges can't vote on their own monsters, will someone else be chosen to vote on their behalf?
The 4 other judges vote for your monsters if you submit one, I will come up with an calculation formula in the end that will take this "problem" out of the place, don't worry :)
Vader

Post by Vader »

I'm not officially signing up or something, but I might have something small to contribute!
I'll have to see if i can finish it in time...
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

Is it the crab? Image
Unholypimpin

Post by Unholypimpin »

sounds cool i might submit my poltergeist monster from my doom2 remake mod saddly its graphics need more work

prob wont have a chance of winning , since the fact its not 3d rather its just has like 15 frames so it looks like a nebulus shapeless spirit.
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

Can I submit things that already have made it into the Beastiery that I made recently (Undead Priest, Hangman etc.) ?
Last edited by CaptainToenail on Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Jimmy »

Coupl'a questions:

1) Are we allowed to package the monster with a test map that puts it in the ideal conditions for inclusion in a map?

2) Are these maps allowed to use ACS that is in no way connected to the monster itself?
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

Captain Ventris

Post by Captain Ventris »

There is a remote chance I might enter something... idk. Custom sprites would DEFINITELY be the hardest part, but DECORATE I could do. Hm.
Captain Proof

Post by Captain Proof »

Guess I should finish the Orc Marauder and the hell zombie then.
Lolo_is_cool

Post by Lolo_is_cool »

Hmmm, this contest sounds interesting....
I have a Quake Guy somewhere in my folders... i must modify the color translation, since it's too near the actual Quake guy....
Vader

Post by Vader »

esselfortium wrote:Is it the crab? Image
No, it already won several awards in the annual "ASA" (Atlantis, spriting, awards), so I'm going to submit something Blackrock specific... just something small as I said :mrgreen:
Captain Ventris

Post by Captain Ventris »

Vader wrote:
esselfortium wrote:Is it the crab? Image
No, it already won several awards in the annual "ASA" (Atlantis, spriting, awards), so I'm going to submit something Blackrock specific... just something small as I said :mrgreen:
There go my chances, lol.

Actually, I've got something going as far as sprites, so might as well count me in. Might have it done today, who knows. It's technically a sprite edit/splicing, but the end result will be relatively original as far as Doom sprites are concerned. It's going to be a Friendly entity.
Rolls

Re: [Contest] The Beast 2009 - Compete Now! Deadline 20th April

Post by Rolls »

Hey, it´s a great idea :)
cool :D

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”