Unwad - minimal wad tool (mingw build script now in svn)

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Grubber

Re: [~85%] Unwad - a minimal wad convertor and extractor

Post by Grubber »

All the open source software uses it, so I think there's no problem with patents.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

WAV is only a header to otherwise raw PCM data and there's no special unusual encoding/decoding to patent with so you're fine.
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

Yeah, just wondering if there was an alternative. Someone probably holds patents against half the free stuff anyway. Apparently you can patent just about anything =/
bagheadspidey

Re: [~91%] Unwad - a minimal wad convertor and extractor

Post by bagheadspidey »

quick question: can the characters {|} (curly braces and pipe) be used in windows file names? I'm lowercasing the lump names and this seems like an easy way to fix the backslash in the vile's sprite names at the same time.

edit - i have been informed that no, the pipe is not a valid character for a windows filename. Does anyone know if there is some standard replacement character for the backslash that zdoom would recognize?

edit 2 - never mind, found it, it's ^
ThatOneZDoomer
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by ThatOneZDoomer »

This would be a very useful tool indeed. Could also save me a lot of trouble in messing around with SlumpED, which likes to crash for time to time on me. With this tool, I can easily rip stuff out of wads do like you said, combine a bunch of bestiary files. It would also be useful in cleaning up the messy wad collection I have and by that I mean better knowing how to sort them out by knowing what it contains without jumping into SlumpED.

I just thought of a feature, although I don't know how useful it would be in the end. Would it say, be possible to put a different set of sprites into different sprite folders rather then all of them in one? Say for example, any sprite named HEAD**** would be put in HEAD folder, ROCK**** sprites put in ROCK folder, and so forth. This could be useful in sorting out data especially between different resource files.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Since it can be commandlined into doing things, here's something that would be useful:
1. rip given content from given wads (regexps allowed, or at least wildcards ? and *)
2. convert it to PNG if appropriate
3. optionally rename it following given rules
4. insert it into new wad/pk3.

For example, it could be given a set of rules to automatically extract all HEAD* graphics from heretic.wad, convert to PNG, rename them as LICH*, and save them inside the target wad.

This way, if you have a mod that uses content from another supported game, rather than distributing the ripped content in your own mod (something kinda iffy), you could just ship it with unwad and a set of rules that'll automatically grab the needed resources from the user's own iwads and insert them in the mod.
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

ThatOneZDoomer wrote:put a different set of sprites into different sprite folders rather then all of them in one? Say for example, any sprite named HEAD**** would be put in HEAD folder...
Yes. I've been thinking about doing this anyway, but it's good to hear a second opinion. I may even turn this on by default (it will be optional).
Gez wrote:1. rip given content from given wads (regexps allowed, or at least wildcards ? and *)
2. convert it to PNG if appropriate
3. optionally rename it following given rules
4. insert it into new wad/pk3.
1. Use a regex to determine which lumps will be extracted? I had actually considered this but I figured nobody would really use it. It would be easy enough to include though.

Also I think you should be able to choose which lumps are extracted by type (flat, sound, sprite, etc) but I haven't come up with a good command line syntax for that yet.

2. Of course =)

3. Rename lumps using a regex? That's a great idea. I'll definitely include it; I could probably use that myself. Again, I'm not sure how many people are comfortable using a regex but what the hell, they can learn or just ignore that feature ;p

4. Pk3, yeah. Folders full of files, yeah. Wad... maybe? I don't know. The tool is called Unwad; the whole point is to get stuff out of a wad. That might be beyond the scope of this program. I'd have to hear a pretty good case for it, anyway.

title post updated, stuff added to list.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Something else I've thought off: transform TEXTURE1 and TEXTURE2 lumps into TEXTURES lumps. It makes texture definition far more portable because it doesn't rely anymore on the order of patches in PNAMES.
.+:icytux:+.

Post by .+:icytux:+. »

i have a idea for a tool you could make.

wadcropper.

this would be, converting bmps to pngs. (you could alternativley not convert some wich needs translations and thus)
converting soundfiles and music into smaller formats. and maybe even more features.
all inside the wad without needing to export the files and then put them back.

this would be very handy!
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

You can do the bmp to pngs in slumped.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Hell, you can save a bmp (which has the doom pallette applied to it already) as a .png using MSPaint.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

.+:icytux:+. wrote:this would be, converting bmps to pngs.
Why would that be useful? There shouldn't be any WADs with BMPs in them. I'm not aware of any engine that supports BMPs.

Also, just making a blanket "make the sound file smaller" filter wouldn't appropriate either because some sounds don't work as well in some formats as they do with others.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Enjay wrote:
.+:icytux:+. wrote:this would be, converting bmps to pngs.
Why would that be useful? There shouldn't be any WADs with BMPs in them. I'm not aware of any engine that supports BMPs.
And I hope there will never be. As soon as BMP works, everybody will start using them exclusively, and then we'll get a flood of stupid messages like "help, there are gray squares around my sprites!" or "my wad weighs 785 megabytes, how can I make it smaller?"

BMP sucks.
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

Speaking of graphics formats, I'd love it if zdoom would support xpm with a bit of extra grab info at the end. Zipped xpms are often smaller than pngs when dealing with low-rez, low-color images like doom sprites. I've wanted to request this forever but I'm waiting for the right time =)

For those who don't know, xpm is an easy to read text-based image format... you can open an xpm in notepad. A C compiler will compile xpm. It's usually easy to integrate xpm support into an application because of the straightforward way the data is formatted. And, since it's really just C code, it's easily extensible (for things like an insertion point, for example). Also it is the only format I know of that supports palleted data with over 256 palette entries plus transparency.
Spoiler: scroll down
Da Spadger

Re: [~85%] Unwad - a minimal wad tool (syntax spoiler updated)

Post by Da Spadger »

Cool! Do a unicycle!

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”