Unwad - minimal wad tool (mingw build script now in svn)

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Gez

Re: [~85%] Unwad - a minimal wad convertor and extractor

Post by Gez »

bagheadspidey wrote:I don't own that program so unfortunately someone else will have to do that, unless there is a free version I am unaware of?
MSVC Express is free, you just need to have a legit version of Windows because the download site will ask you for an authentication number. I'm not sure if it's still possible to download MSVCE 2005, because the 2008 version also annoyingly wants you to "activate" it within a month. (Seriously, why do they bother people so? Authentication, registration, activation... The guy who invented the concept of "activation" needs to be shot, anyway. It doesn't activate anything, just prevents deactivation. Meh. If it's a free download, it should be a no-strings-attached free download, not be accompanied by an electronic version of soviet-style paperwork.)
bagheadspidey

Re: [~85%] Unwad - a minimal wad convertor and extractor

Post by bagheadspidey »

Graf Zahl wrote:iostream is inefficient shit. Everyone not seeing this has never been in a situation where this bloated abomination hasn't blown an application out of proportions - both in code size and performance.

And before you ask: Yes, I have seen it - and rewriting all output to use (f)printf not only made the executable 25% of its original size but also made it run magnitudes faster. Since that day I have sworn never *ever* to use IOStream again for anything.
Ah, in that case thanks for the heads-up. I'll add that to my to-do list. For now, though, the most important thing is getting this to build on windows. The program is plenty small and fast as it is, but smaller and faster is always good =)
Gez wrote:MSVC Express is free, you just need to have a legit version of Windows because the download site will ask you for an authentication number. I'm not sure if it's still possible to download MSVCE 2005, because the 2008 version also annoyingly wants you to "activate" it within a month. (Seriously, why do they bother people so? Authentication, registration, activation... The guy who invented the concept of "activation" needs to be shot, anyway. It doesn't activate anything, just prevents deactivation. Meh. If it's a free download, it should be a no-strings-attached free download, not be accompanied by an electronic version of soviet-style paperwork.)
Yeah, I tried to get a copy of this but microsoft's site told me I had an invalid version of windows or some such crap. Of course, I used the code on the sticker attached to this machine to activate windows so I have no idea why it thinks it's not legit. I'm hoping once I get cross-compiling to work (building a windows exe from linux), someone with the appropriate software will be able to contribute a vc++ build script.
bagheadspidey

Re: [release!] Unwad (Windows version ready for testing!)

Post by bagheadspidey »

Bumpity bump.

The windows version is ready for testing.

Get it here.

Some pointers:
* read readme.txt
* run it from a console (cmd.exe, for example)

Questions, suggestions, comments, etc welcome!
Csonicgo

Re: [release!] Unwad (Windows version ready for testing!)

Post by Csonicgo »

Well, what do you know. It works.

maps don't work if I make a PK3 out of the resulting data, but that's obvious, right?
bagheadspidey

Re: [release] Unwad - minimal wad tool (Windows version ready!)

Post by bagheadspidey »

Maps are working now, updated the download link =)
Gez

Post by Gez »

Cool, I'll have to try it when I'll have some time. :)
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

Wow, I didn't expect such an overwhelming response to this!

Heh, just kidding. Someone pm'd me about zip support; in case anyone else is silently wondering wtf is up with zip support here was my response.
I wrote:Thanks for the feedback =)

zlib is already included (libpng uses it); that should be fine for zipping files. The reason I haven't added zip support yet is because I'd like zipping to be available as a separate step from wad extraction, and I'm still trying to decide exactly how I want to do it.

I want the "create pk3" step to compile acs, maybe build bsp info, etc in addition to just zipping the files up, and I'm trying to work out how I want to set up the options and everything for that.

Here's the shell script I've been using to build pk3s -- this is something like what I want to do with unwad (but from c++, not from a shell, obviously). If you're on linux, you might find this useful.
Spoiler: I'm sure 99% of you could give two shits about this part (and probably this whole thread for that matter but oh well)
bagheadspidey

Re: [release] Unwad - minimal wad tool (svn repo up)

Post by bagheadspidey »

zip (pk3) support added, download link updated, svn repo up. See title post for details.

This thing needs testing (on windows especially); if you have a free minute or two and feel like helping out, try unwadding a few wads and let me know how it went!
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

Small update --

From now on if you want to try out the latest changes, you can download a compiled exe directly from the svn. This exe will be kept up-to-date as I make changes. You need to have the rest of the package first; just replace the exe in the package with the one from svn.

The unwad.exe in svn will always have up-to-date documentation; use the command "unwad -?" to read it.
BouncyTEM
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: 2280 Lol Street: The Calamitous Carnival (formerly Senators Prison)

Post by BouncyTEM »

Well, I just tried it out (windows XP so you know) and, so far, quite nice! :D

I'm quite pleased.
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

Thanks, glad you are enjoying it!

Ok, forget what I said in my last post. Instead, here is the complete windows-only binary package; this link will be updated constantly as features are added -- unwad.zip svn build -- this should have everything you need to run unwad on windows. It's a small download so I see no reason to distribute the exe separately (the dlls won't likely change, but the "magic" files may.)
hnsolo77

Post by hnsolo77 »

going to try this out once i get home, this should prove most usefull to me :)

usefull as in save me a shitload of work that would otherwise take me quite a while :P
ThatOneZDoomer
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by ThatOneZDoomer »

I downloaded this when the Windows build first came out and I couldn't figure it out. Then I downloaded the newest Windows build without all the extra stuff. Upon reading the last few posts, I finally figured out how to read the readme file and unwad some random wads. At first I was wondering why all the images turned out gray till further reading and using the example to get the Doom 2 PlayPal file. I suck at command lines, so I made a .bat file that seems to function the same.

I usually don't like asking for help right away, since usually, certain problems can be solved with a little more effort. Now I finally got around to ripping and tearing resources out of various wads. My .bat file currently looks like this...

Code: Select all

unwad -p playpal.lump *filename*.wad
Is it possible to set up the .bat file in such a way that I can just drag and drop a wad file on it and have it unwad automatic? At the moment, I end up changing the file name in the .bat file every time I want to unwad a different wad.
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

ThatOneZDoomer wrote:

unwad -p playpal.lump *filename*.wad
Is it possible to set up the .bat file in such a way that I can just drag and drop a wad file on it and have it unwad automatic? At the moment, I end up changing the file name in the .bat file every time I want to unwad a different wad.
It is. I like this batch file idea, maybe I should include a few example batch files in the release package.

Try this:

unwad -p playpal.lump %*
%* represents all arguments passed into the batch file. That means if you drag a file (or files) onto the batch file, the paths to those files will be used in place of %*.

The only problem with batch files is you won't have time to look at all the output that gets dumped. To fix that, you can do something like this:

unwad -p playpal.lump %* > what-unwad-said.txt
wordpad what-unwad-said.txt &
The ">" operator should dump all the output into the file "what-unwad-said.txt."

The next line opens "what-unwad-said.txt" with wordpad. The "&" character runs wordpad in a separate process so the batch process can finish right away instead of waiting for wordpad to close.
Gez

Post by Gez »

bagheadspidey wrote:The only problem with batch files is you won't have time to look at all the output that gets dumped.
You forgot about the "pause" command. :)

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”