Quake: Nexus Aftermath - /me casts Resurrection

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Quake: Nexus Aftermath - /me casts Resurrection

Post by Ghastly »

Wiki page here: http://zdoom.org/wiki/Quake_nexus_aftermath

Captain Toenail and I have been working on this for the past year or so.

It's a large Quake-based mod for ZDoom, GZDoom and Skulltag continuing the Strogg storyline. We hope to have squad-based multiplayer gameplay, like in Quake 4, high-detail/great-gameplay/ACS-ridden maps, several high-quality (and low-lag) visual effects, FULL multiplayer game mode support (competitive modes included), and we'll be releasing resource wads with almost everything this mod has when it's finished, so people can create their own sub-mods.

The story is that after the Strogg Nexus was destroyed, the Strogg are still alive and kicking. They have plenty of other tricks up their sleeves, but have to resort to more conventional means of communication since the Nexus was just a telepathic link between Strogg. This is just a series of miscellaneous missions, so as not to step on the toes of other mods and games to come.

The gameplay in cooperative and team game modes should be very different. A few subtle changes have made a large impact, so teammates'll likely have to rely on each other if they want to do their best. I, for one, am really looking forward to TLMS and TPOSS.

Before you start up the "Real original, you just stole stuff from other games", we only take credit for things we've done ourselves and for porting the other game's content over; it took a lot of work making monsters and weapons act how they do in Quakes 2 and 4 (though they're still not completely right); and there are a few of our own innovations in here, too, not to mention the plethora of new maps and continuation of the series. We aren't pretending the monsters or weapons are by us. If you still don't like it, then you don't have to play it.

If you want screenshots, a map is already done, and will soon be released as a demo. This won't die quickly, like a lot of no-screenshot projects, as we've already finished all the monsters and weapons.

This mod features:

Code: Select all

-At least 6 Quake 4 style mission units with multiple maps in each unit.
-47 monsters from the Quake series (Strogg story-line only. No Shamblers :p).
-13 weapons from Quakes 2 and 4, and an extra one for Deathmatch.
-3 player classes. Soldier, medic and tech.
-KDiZD-style terrain sounds (clang when you fall onto a metal floor, for example).
-Over one-thousand textures from Quakes 2 and 4 (mostly cortousy of AfterGlow's Q2Tex.wad).
-Several ambient sounds from Quakes 2 and 4 and music from Quake 4.
-Quake 4-style objective displays.
-Quake 2-style gibs.
-Squad-based gameplay, hopefully.
If you wish to sign up to make maps for it, just post here or PM either me or Captain Toenail and we'll send you the link to the resource wad. I'd prefer to be sure of your ability, so please give us an example of your work. We'll also need beta testers for Skulltag, ZDoom and GZDoom, once there are enough maps, so there aren't any bugs. Once your map or map unit is finished, PM it to both myself and Captain Toenail (We're definately looking forward to new maps :D).

Map units:

Unit 1: Destroy Strogg Data Pumps (Ghastly_dragon)
Unit 2: Destroy Stroggification Facility (Captain Toenail)
Unit 3 (No mapper)
Unit 4 (No mapper)
Unit 5 (No mapper)
Unit 6 (No mapper)
Beta testers:

The mappers :p
One map is done, already, and will soon be released as a demo. I'd also like to say that this is 6 units -minimum-, and are a few maps each (like sub-episodes). More than that is certainly welcome, as long as people finish making them.

A CTF and a deathmatch mod for Skulltag is already planned for after this is finished, by the way.

Demo 2 released.

Download links:
http://www.zshare.net/download/16681084386c8d37/
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DV5FEJJ5

Changes:
  • Map unlagged, so it can be played online with less network traffic
  • Map fully deathmatch compatible (small bug with the deathmatch ACS script was fixed)
  • Map difficulty adjusted for single player, without making it easier for multiplayer
  • Light, Shotgun, Machinegun, Laser and Ripper Guards and Sentien re-ripped for better detail.
  • Chaingun spin-up reworked so it fires slowly while spinning up.
  • Humming sound added to railgun (the more subtle Quake 2 sound).
  • Gauntlet-giving ACS script added in LoadACS for deathmatch modes.
  • A few monsters have their health reduced
  • Team-colored projectiles partially added (decorate-side, not ACS-side.)
Last edited by Ghastly on Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:07 am, edited 10 times in total.
DBThanatos

Re: Quake: Nexus Aftermath

Post by DBThanatos »

Sounds pretty ambitious, but i like the idea. Good luck :thumb:

One thing is, i'd love to see remakes or some such for quake1, I love that game so much...
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

Most of the ambitious stuff is already out of the way, just about the only things left are the maps :).
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

D: that's where any of my plans of mods go straight to hell :P

However, I could try to map again some of this days. Quake 2 and quake 4 are quake after all ;)

EDIT: what about monsters? are you going to use doomish stuff or model rips? if is the second case, I offer my quake2 rips that are in AEoD. Those are the best quality (animation wise) rips out there :P (i would offer the decorate too, but im sure you will redo it so...)
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

EDIT: what about monsters? are you going to use doomish stuff or model rips? if is the second case, I offer my quake2 rips that are in AEoD. Those are the best quality (animation wise) rips out there :P (i would offer the decorate too, but im sure you will redo it so...)
Thanks, but we have all the monsters, weapons, items, props etc. already done, and your hi-def sprites would not fit in with the rest of the TC. Anyway, here's some screenshots (I hope that's ok with you, Ghastly :? ), there not all from the same level though.
Spoiler:
Gez

Post by Gez »

Wouldn't it be possible in GZDoom to use the actual Quake II models anyway?
Dreadopp

Post by Dreadopp »

This looks pretty cool. I like the quake games, so I am looking forward to this :) .
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

Quake II models anyway?
Yeah, but that wouldn't really mesh well with the Quake 4 sprites would it? :P
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

@DBThanatos: The monsters themselves are all Doom-style (fairly low-res, though some are scaled since they lost a ton of detail and not too fluid animations). Heretic, Hexen and Strife were low-res, too, and this is practically a new IWad (except that it can't be run on it's own :P).

Edit: Oh, I did use one idea from AEOD. I recolored the BFG from blue to green, since the Doom palette hates those blues.

@Gez: I considered that, but if it's done, it would be best as an add-on, like the Doom model packs. The main problems would be the Quake 4 monsters and weapons, though if those were done (in Quake 2-style) it would help someone I know who's working on a class-based mod for Quake 2. It'd be a heck of a lot of models, too.

@Dreadopp: You don't have to just look forward to this, this needs mappers, so you could help or just beta test.
Dreadopp

Post by Dreadopp »

Ghastly_dragon wrote:@Dreadopp: You don't have to just look forward to this, this needs mappers, so you could help or just beta test.
As much as would love to help out with this, I really shouldn't. I am involved in a lot of projects at the moment, and I should probably finish those before joining into more. However, I guess I could Beta-test if that's alright :) . If I get the other projects done, then I might join in mapping for this one.
Remmirath
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Remmirath »

Same here...got to finish TEN Community Project first (and possibly we're gonna work on DM Maps), but i'm free to do betatesting and give suggestions... :wink:

Cheers... :cheers:

So this was the famous secret Quake TC Toenail was talking about... :P
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

Lol, yup (I've dropped a few hints about this, myself, even going so far as to put up a screenshot of the Harvester in IRC). Even with a few mappers going full-tilt, it'll take a while.

Next time I get to the library, I'll upload and post the demo.
Last edited by Ghastly on Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
NewTiberian

Post by NewTiberian »

this seems particularly interesting, i shall be watching it closely :D
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

Created a ZDoom wiki page, go easy on me, it's the first time I've done it before (it's almost all your writing anyway Ghastly :lol: )

http://zdoom.org/wiki/Quake_nexus_aftermath
Remmirath
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Remmirath »

Hehe, cool...i should do it for the TEN Community project... :)

EDIT: YAY...i subscribed to the Wiki page, and now i've also got a page that talks about me (written by me, naturally... :lol: )

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”