[Dead] Dream Of Magic v2.0

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
DBThanatos

[Dead] Dream Of Magic v2.0

Post by DBThanatos »

//================================================================

Death certificate: august 2009

As much as I hate to say this, Im finally accepting the fact that I wont be able to ever finish this thing.

The main problem is that I cant actually finish the maps. They are just too large (the ones I started) and Im 100% sure that I wont be able to come up with more ideas for new maps. I do have all the needed resources (sprites, sounds, code) for all what I planned, however, recruiting mappers is something impossible, so, without maps, such ambitious project is basically screwed.

Heh, well, is not like there will be a lot of disappointed people, but at least for me, is sad :( Ohh well, it was fun while it lasted.

Ok, I will still have hope. Maybe in 10 years I will come up with some other maps and I will continue this.

Update, early 2009

Spoiler:

Dream of magic EP1 release (somewhen around march 2008)

Spoiler: Release of episode one
Last edited by DBThanatos on Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:38 pm, edited 13 times in total.
[WH]-Wilou84

Re: [WIP]Dream Of Magic take2 Demo (Name pending)

Post by [WH]-Wilou84 »

Looking nice so far :)
It's cool to see mods for Heretic / Hexen, they're quite rare.

I was wondering if the four Horsemen of Apocalypse from Hexen II would be included in Aeons of Death, and here I guess they will be :>
Keep up the good work !
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Well, hello there! :P

Hehe, this looks very, very nice so far. 'Tis not often one sees a Hexen map, and the new resources look quite nice. I'm looking forward to seeing what you've got!
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

[WH]-Wilou84 wrote:Looking nice so far :)
It's cool to see mods for Heretic / Hexen, they're quite rare.

I was wondering if the four Horsemen of Apocalypse from Hexen II would be included in Aeons of Death, and here I guess they will be :>
Keep up the good work !
Thanks. ÆoD is in it's final stage, where I will not add more stuff (because the engine will not allow me) and is very heavy already... (what am I talking about? this mod is going to be very(seriously) heavy too!) So the apoc riders are not going into ÆoD. :P

Xaser wrote:Well, hello there! :P

Hehe, this looks very, very nice so far. 'Tis not often one sees a Hexen map, and the new resources look quite nice. I'm looking forward to seeing what you've got!
Thanks for the interest. I still testing the playability for the levels, because I guess some areas are too empty and others are way too filled.
Indeed is hard to see Hexen mods, that's why I decided to use all this thing in hexen instead of doom (which was the original plan).

DBT
DBThanatos

Re: [Released]Dream Of Magic v2.0 Demo (Download 1st post)

Post by DBThanatos »

In the 1st post I posted (doh!) the link to download this thing! finally!!

If you play it in GZdoom, then use "sector light mode: doom" and gl_lights_size 0.9 (about half of the bar). Also is imperative you set the sprites clipping mode (adjust sprite clipping) to "Never", otherwise you'll get some odd visual effects in the monsters.
If you play in ZDoom you should not worry about anything at all (except for the issues mentioned in the readme).

The mod is beatable, I tired in each skill (except skill 4) with both classes.
Remember: The books can tell you a couple things that might be useful!!!

Have fun and please give some feedback!!

DBT
DBThanatos

Re: [Released]Dream Of Magic v2.0 Ep1 (Download 1st post)

Post by DBThanatos »

Bump.

Nobody is interested in this one? I spend a good time making it :(

A bit of testing? playing? feedback?
Please? ():)

DBT
BouncyTEM
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: 2280 Lol Street: The Calamitous Carnival (formerly Senators Prison)

Post by BouncyTEM »

I'll get to it when I have time.
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

I played it for some time, but soon it became unplayable because of my slow PC. What I saw was pretty good.
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

Well, Zdoom seems to run it without problem, even in speed, I mean, there are almost no huge outdoor areas. Once inside the castle, everything is supossed to run very smooth :)
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

Cool, I'll download this next time I get a chance.

An interesting mod idea for when this is done and out could be the good guys coming in and clearing the whole place out, lol.
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

Good guys? there is no good guys in the history. Everything is supossed to be about egocentrism, power, domination, destruction... and stuff like that :P
In a much detailed history I was writting, it was explained how the land was ruled and by who, and how they lost the power, the raids, the wars, etc, but when I was about 2 pages of that, I decided that was useless information for the mod, since it only focuses in the events happening to the necropolis. In general, there is no hero in the history. :)

DBT
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

Er, that aside, it'd be interesting to go against the already-established characters with the 'new guys', besides Heretic and Hexen are all about other worlds :P.Meh, just a thought, lol.

Downloading now. I just had to wait for my proxy to let me download more than 500 bytes per second.
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

A very important note I forgot to add in the Readme file: Music Credits

While this mod uses the Hexen's music for the levels, the boss battles have a new music. Well, new to hexen at least.

Credits for the Boss Batles MIDI music:

* Death
* Necrophagist
* Nile
Spoiler: Something about the ultimate secret in the hub

DBT
[WH]-Wilou84

Post by [WH]-Wilou84 »

Ok, just had an overview of your maps. I'd say "overview" because I'm stuck in the first map already :>
Nice detailing and layouts, very reminiscent of both Hexen and Hexen II. Maps are really open and not linear at all, for what I've seen so far.

I tried the Necromancer class in Skill 4, and maybe his scythe is a bit too powerful or some of the monsters are not strong enough. I remember those scorpions in Hexen II for instance, they used to be a lot stronger. But well, you're not forced to copycat even their original behavior of course :)
Something important imo, is that the Archer had two kind of attacks. What about the red arrow ?
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

[WH]-Wilou84 wrote:Ok, just had an overview of your maps. I'd say "overview" because I'm stuck in the first map already :>
Nice detailing and layouts, very reminiscent of both Hexen and Hexen II. Maps are really open and not linear at all, for what I've seen so far.

I tried the Necromancer class in Skill 4, and maybe his scythe is a bit too powerful or some of the monsters are not strong enough. I remember those scorpions in Hexen II for instance, they used to be a lot stronger. But well, you're not forced to copycat even their original behavior of course :)
Something important imo, is that the Archer had two kind of attacks. What about the red arrow ?
If you are stuck, well, I guess I could guide you if you want :P Only map01 could be considered open, because that's the biggest, the others are really small and linear.

About the monsters/weapons, well, while I wanted this mod to be similar to Hexen II in terms monster behaviour, I also wanted to change a bit the gameplay, that's why in Hexen you see 25 monsters in a level, and in this mod you se a "bit" more :P Anyway, all monsters used to be much less (in quantity) and much more resistant, but that's why the release of this thing delayed more than I expected: for the dramathic gameplay change. In the last minute I decided I wanted to kill more monsters and have less eternal fights with 2 archers and one golem :) That's why all monsters are weaker, easy to kill.

About the archer not firing red arrows, that's because the archers which will fire those red arrows are not supossed to appear in this episode, those are going to be harder (because will have only the red arrow as attack, never green).

When will another DOM episode will be done? who knows. Im not a full time mapper (I think my maps are decent, but takes me way too long to make one), plus I have to think about how Im going to drive the history (not that anyone actually reads/likes/get-interested-in the history, but well, I had to put that ideas somewhere)

DBT

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”