PlayStation Doom TC

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
SoulCrow

Re: PlayStation Doom TC

Post by SoulCrow »

@fenderc01: What is the current state of the Final Doom PlayStation TC? I recall you uploading a couple of videos to youtube showing Final Doom levels so how many maps are completed?
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

Wait .. WHAT??? :O
fenderc01

Post by fenderc01 »

BoldEnglishman wrote:@fenderc01: What is the current state of the Final Doom PlayStation TC? I recall you uploading a couple of videos to youtube showing Final Doom levels so how many maps are completed?
I never uploaded any videos for Final Doom levels. You must be thinking of something else.
SoulCrow

Post by SoulCrow »

Hmm... I could have sworn I saw a video quite a while ago of someone playing Crater with what looked like the PSX status bar etc. on these forums, but if you say you've never uploaded any then it must have been something else. No idea what though :shrug:
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

When searching through this thread, I indeed found a video of someone playing through Crater. However, that was the original PSX version of Final DooM and not a conversion.
Dragonsbrethren

Post by Dragonsbrethren »

Converted the statusbar to SBARINFO:

Supports everything the ACS-based bar did, plus the frag counter in DM (untested at the moment).

Did some general cleaning up to the PK3 as well, removed some now unneeded resources. I'm probably going to tackle menus next; does anyone know of any issues with the actual map ports?
fenderc01

Post by fenderc01 »

Dragonsbrethren wrote:Converted the statusbar to SBARINFO:

Supports everything the ACS-based bar did, plus the frag counter in DM (untested at the moment).
Sweet! I'd like to check it out.
DarthMaul

Post by DarthMaul »

Although the Nightmare Spectre in the mod looks great, I have some information to give out. Has anybody noticed that on the official PSX Doom game, if the Nightmare Spectre is in front of a bright white light, it turns a light cyan? I checked it out in the original game and it did for sure. I thought I'd give a heads-up about that in case nobody knows or remembers. I didn't know until I tried to find out for myself. However, it was darker in other areas, and only turned green when a wall was behind it. When the floor was behind it, it turned blueish.

If you want an image, please let me know and I'll use my video capturing software to capture the game then save a picture from the video. (The game will be captured from my TV, thus I'll be using a non-emulated copy of the game.)
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

DarthMaul wrote:Although the Nightmare Spectre in the mod looks great, I have some information to give out. Has anybody noticed that on the official PSX Doom game, if the Nightmare Spectre is in front of a bright white light, it turns a light cyan? I checked it out in the original game and it did for sure. I thought I'd give a heads-up about that in case nobody knows or remembers. I didn't know until I tried to find out for myself. However, it was darker in other areas, and only turned green when a wall was behind it. When the floor was behind it, it turned blueish.

If you want an image, please let me know and I'll use my video capturing software to capture the game then save a picture from the video. (The game will be captured from my TV, thus I'll be using a non-emulated copy of the game.)
Unfortunately with the way he seems to have been adapted for ZDoom, that effect might not work anymore. It may not be possible to replicate it fully.
DarthMaul

Post by DarthMaul »

I see. I suppose so, but what about GZDoom? That is, if the white light textures could be made to glow. On the other hand, could seeing the Nightmare Spectre in front of a white wall show its true color? There wasn't any coloration behind it. It could be a darkish blue-green monster. (I really don't know for sure, but I thought that Cyan was a light blue-green.) Anyways, the TC likely won't get a change made to the Nightmare Spectre sprite, unless the Nightmare Spectre's true color gets shown. I also have to admit that even if it appears to be a blue-green, under certain lighting conditions it will still turn green.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

The Nightmare Spectre uses a technique called subtractive blending, which I believe was feature-requested but denied for some reason.
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

I remember Graf saying something about it looking like shit in coloured fog, which makes sense if you consider how the Nightmare Spectre looks when under a blue light on the PSX.
DarthMaul

Post by DarthMaul »

Would there be any other option to get the Nightmare Spectre closer to how it looked on the PSX? What about brightmaps? ) Could a brightmap be used to make the correct areas of the sprite appear very dark except in a bright area? (Can brightmaps be used with translucency?) I had tried creating brightmaps of the Nightmare Spectre on my computer, but my card doesn't support brightmaps and so I'll have to upgrade to a newer NVidia card. (I have the GEForce 7300 LE, and want to upgrade to the GEForce 9500 GT, but can't until I get a 630w power supply installed. I already ordered one after looking up a power supply upgrade for the computer I'm using.)
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Brightmaps not only not work in software, they don't work inversely, i.e. they can't be used to make light areas darker.
DarthMaul

Post by DarthMaul »

I see. Well, I guess the best way to have the Nightmare Spectre is as a regular sprite then.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”