PlayStation Doom TC

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
finnw

Revenant missiles

Post by finnw »

Is there any reason why the Revenant fires a mixture of homing and non-homing missiles (like PC Doom II) in the TC?
In PSX Doom, it is only able to fire homing missiles, never non-homing ones.

I assume this is intentional, since it is simple to mimic the PSX version by changing just one line in DECORATE:

Code: Select all

@@ -432,7 +432,7 @@
        States
        {
        Spawn:
-               FATB AB 2 Bright A_Tracer
+               FATB AB 1 Bright A_Tracer
                Loop
        }
 }
finnw

Re: PlayStation Doom TC

Post by finnw »

I think maybe the compat_missileclip option should be enabled for this TC, to prevent the player using trees for cover against projectile attacks while attacking through them with hitscan weapons.

Of course this problem is not unique the the PSX TC, but there is an extreme case of it in MAP57 (Marshes)
fenderc01

Post by fenderc01 »

Updated the link to PSXTCMUS.ZIP. Somehow I must have deleted the file from the MediaFire server. The link should work now.
fenderc01

Post by fenderc01 »

Some people were requesting it, so here they are...

Added PlayStation Doom and Final Doom Soundtracks in 128kbps MP3:
PlayStation Doom Soundtrack.zip (123.9 MB)
PlayStation Final Doom Soundtrack.zip (58.34 MB)
ZDUser

Re: Revenant missiles

Post by ZDUser »

finnw wrote:Is there any reason why the Revenant fires a mixture of homing and non-homing missiles (like PC Doom II) in the TC?

I assume this is intentional, since it is simple to mimic the PSX version by changing just one line in DECORATE:

@@ -432,7 +432,7 @@
        States
        {
        Spawn:
                Loop
        }
 }
Really? I could have sworn the Revenant fires both types of missiles in PSX :S
TheMistress

Re: Revenant missiles

Post by TheMistress »

ZDUser wrote:
finnw wrote:Is there any reason why the Revenant fires a mixture of homing and non-homing missiles (like PC Doom II) in the TC?

@@ -432,7 +432,7 @@
        States
        {
        Spawn:
                Loop
        }
 }
Really? I could have sworn the Revenant fires both types of missiles in PSX :S
Nope, he is right (:, in PSX doom, the revenant always fired Homing rockets at you, never a Non-Homing rocket.
Oh and Fenderc, will you ever make the Final Doom(PSX) Levels for this mod also? As an extra map pack maybe?
ZDUser

Post by ZDUser »

That's if Kaiser or someone else comes up with a tool to convert (or whatever) the maps to PC format. Because it seems the level data in Doom PSX is stored differently compared to the level data in PSX Final Doom.
TheMistress

Post by TheMistress »

ZDUser wrote:That's if Kaiser or someone else comes up with a tool to convert (or whatever) the maps to PC format. Because it seems the level data in Doom PSX is stored differently compared to the level data in PSX Final Doom.
Hmm...I don't really understand what you mean, And also in the PSX version the maps seemed bigger? I mean in entryway the halls were wider and such,like as if it was a build engine.
ZDUser

Post by ZDUser »

Well, the Doom PSX has the maps stored in a certain way, which tools exist to be able to extract or whatever. But Final Doom PSX has its maps stored in a different way, not the same as PSX Doom.

Perhaps someone else can explain it better.
Dragonsbrethren

Post by Dragonsbrethren »

fender, I'm curious why you've scaled the monsters in this TC. Is it to better match the aspect ratio of the PSX version or were the PSX sprites actually scaled down? From what I can tell, it seems like they just shifted everything up from the floor, like GL ports already do.
Legend

Post by Legend »

Hey Fender. Thanks for the soundtracks. I was actually looking for these. Any chance of getting the sound effects for psx doom in wav format too?
Dragonsbrethren

Post by Dragonsbrethren »

I put it aside for quite a while (timestamps showed I last worked on the TC in February), but my improvements to this TC are almost ready for release. Here's a quick changelog, from memory since I stupidly forgot to keep an actual changelog:
  • Merged in all changes from PSX_UPDATE_01.PK3
    • In addition to this, Revenants now fire homing missiles exclusively
    • The Nightmare Spectre graphics have been removed and recreated (more accurately IMO) with a translation
    • Gravity and player and projectile speeds decreased to better match the PSX version's tic rate
  • Default weapon slots now match PC Doom (so you won't go to pull out and fire your plasma gun but turn yourself into a puddle of goo instead anymore!) - can change these via the console or your config if you insist on the slot keys matching the status bar numbering
  • Status bar redone with SBARINFO
  • Added the PSX small font and a rip of the large font with more accurate spacing.
  • MAPINFO updated to new format
    • Several compatibility options are now set here
  • Half-assed clones of the PSX menus - I'm doing my best with what MENUDEF offers (plus I wanted to keep the important PC options, obviously)
    • Tons of old graphics lumps have been removed and replaced with actual text
  • Automatically loads the music PK3 via GAMEINFO
And I've got a special surprise planned, too. What I'd like before I send this version to fender are a few people, experienced with the PSX version, who are willing to give this a few run throughs and make sure I didn't screw anything up while I was changing stuff. If you're interested, post here or PM/email me.
Dan50

Post by Dan50 »

Is there PSX Doom 2 music I can use with the game?
fenderc01

Post by fenderc01 »

MediaFire Shared Folder:
http://www.mediafire.com/psxdoomtc
Dan50

Post by Dan50 »

Nope that one for some reason isn't working and just has regular doom 2 music. Thanks anyways.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”