PlayStation Doom TC

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
fenderc01

PlayStation Doom TC

Post by fenderc01 »

UPDATE (November 26, 2012):
Version 2.0 Released! Now out of beta...
Check it out over on this forum.

The project has been updated by the people over there and now includes the levels and music from Final Doom. Thanks to everyone for their hard work on an awesome project!

=================================================================================

Beta 3 (February 26, 2010)
Discontinued. Follow the link above for the most recent version of the project.

Download this if you already have the music files:
PSXDoom_Beta3.zip (6.23 MB)

Download this if you do not have the music files:
PSXDoom_Beta3_Full.zip (54.27 MB)

You can download the music files from here separately, if you need them:
PSXTCMUS.zip (48.04 MB)

MediaFire Shared Folder:
http://www.mediafire.com/psxdoomtc

=================================================================================

Added PlayStation Doom and Final Doom Soundtracks in 128kbps MP3:
PlayStation Doom Soundtrack.zip (123.9 MB)
PlayStation Final Doom Soundtrack.zip (58.34 MB)

This is a total conversion of the PlayStation version of Doom. It was designed to run using version 1.3.0 of GZDoom with the Doom II IWAD, so I don't know how well it will work for other source ports or IWADs. I included as much from the PlayStation version as I know how to incorporate. If anyone is interested in making it more accurate to the PlayStation version, or have any suggestions, please let me know. Also, if you find any bugs or something that needs changed, please contact me via private message.

(There is a bug in later versions of GZDoom (newer than 1.3.0) that causes the weapon sprites to be lit improperly when being fired. Please stick to version 1.3.0 until the problem is addressed.)

Features from PlayStation version:
Spoiler:
Changes / Bug Fixes:
Spoiler:
How to Install:
Spoiler:
Thanks to:
Kaiser for the use of his PSXMAKE and JAGEDIT tools.
unknownna for help with the monster, weapon, etc. timings, and bug reports.
Chris Neilson and DoomKn1ght for their Nightmare Spectre sprites. Mine were too light in color.
Anyone else I missed? I will add you here if you remind me.

Archived Post Below:
Spoiler:
Last edited by fenderc01 on Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:48 pm, edited 64 times in total.
Chris Neilson

Re: PlayStation Doom TC

Post by Chris Neilson »

good job.

My topic:
Psxdoom

Download:
Psxdoom_beta2
Sodaholic

Post by Sodaholic »

Chris, I'm pretty sure that fenderc started this thread to split away from your project thread. You have your own thread, so please don't advertise yours in some one else's thread.
fenderc01

Post by fenderc01 »

Sodahollic wrote:Chris, I'm pretty sure that fenderc started this thread to split away from your project thread. You have your own thread, so please don't advertise yours in some one else's thread.
Nah, it's cool. I did the same on his thread. I just wanted to make it easier to post any changes on the first page. I understand what you're saying though.
phi108

Post by phi108 »

So I've now played both versions, yours and Chris Neilson's, and there is a bit of a color difference. On the first level, the imp platform is a different color and the end room and I think the first room are all slightly different colors.

Which version has the correct sector colors? And are all the brightness levels correct in both versions? just to be sure.
fenderc01

Post by fenderc01 »

phi108 wrote:So I've now played both versions, yours and Chris Neilson's, and there is a bit of a color difference. On the first level, the imp platform is a different color and the end room and I think the first room are all slightly different colors.

Which version has the correct sector colors? And are all the brightness levels correct in both versions? just to be sure.
I used Kaiser's PSXMAKE program which extracts all of the brightness and color values from the PlayStation CD, so those are the values I used.
Lemonzest

Post by Lemonzest »

Just tried this in SVN 783 and its crazy, no gun sprite and random textures/flats in the upper right corner :S

edit: also happens in 2.2.0 here, looks like its cycling through the textures in order as after the gun sprites, it starts A/b/c/d/e/ etc in order. maybe your hud code is wrong?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Curious. It does that for me too, but not with GZdoom. It doesn't look like the kind of thing I would normally associate with the differences between those two ports.

When I played it with Zdoom, The BFG appeared briefly immediately on starting the first level (ie, I didn't have the BFG), then the BFG flash (but no gun) then it started to cycle through a bunch of splash sprites in the top left corner and by the time I quit, it was showing crosshairs in their untranslated colours in the top left. I loaded the files up with exactly the same options in GZdoom and it worked. :shrug:
phi108

Post by phi108 »

Ya, this new version is really messed up. It plays on GZDoom, but not ZDoom.

You need to leave out the weapon sprites. They are currently too high, with a gap between the bottom of the sprite and the bottom of the screen, and lowering them makes them exactly like the iwad gun sprites, so less is more here.
And I think there is new hud scripting or something, but it just causes problems, so leave it out. Just replace graphics for the normal doom hud. Or use SBARINFO. Its simple ad less obtrusive.
unknownna

Post by unknownna »

the psx version had cut weapon sprites to spare memory.

They are supposed to be that high up. You're not supposed to play the tc without the hud. If you do, then you'll see the "gap". It would even be bigger on the psx if you removed the hud away.

The psx version had alot of things scaled/cut down/away and the weapons were one of the things.

We decided to not use the real psx weapon sprites because they were way too small for this and scaling them up would only result in a big pixellated mess. :?

The tc runs fine with GZDoom, but somehow messes up with ZDoom. There are also a few map bugs as a result of converting them, but they'll be fixed by notice.
Last edited by unknownna on Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
phi108

Post by phi108 »

ALL weapon sprites in this TC have the EXACT SAME size as doom2.wad. The offsts are just different, so they cover more of the screen and are obtrusive and leave a gap between the bottom of the sprite and the screen edge. Thiis is an UNDESIRED feature, if this is the way it was in PSX doom, and if the sprites aren't different at all, they don't need to be in.

And before downloading the music pack, Does it have the Club Doom track? That one's missing from the doomdepot pack.
unknownna

Post by unknownna »

phi108 wrote:ALL weapon sprites in this TC have the EXACT SAME size as doom2.wad. The offsts are just different, so they cover more of the screen and are obtrusive and leave a gap between the bottom of the sprite and the screen edge. Thiis is an UNDESIRED feature, if this is the way it was in PSX doom, and if the sprites aren't different at all, they don't need to be in.

And before downloading the music pack, Does it have the Club Doom track? That one's missing from the doomdepot pack.

The sprites were different in the psx version. If they weren't different, they would not be in this tc.
Look at my previous post.
And yes, this music pack contains the club doom song. It's all hi-fi. Converted to .OGG in order to reduce size while maintaining quality.
phi108

Post by phi108 »

Yes PSX had different weapon sprites, but this TC doesn't have them. It has DOOM2.WAD sprites. It either needs to get rid of them, or get the low-res PSX sprites.

And, FINALLY a CLUB DOOM TRACK!
unknownna

Post by unknownna »

phi108 wrote:Yes PSX had different weapon sprites, but this TC doesn't have them. It has DOOM2.WAD sprites. It either needs to get rid of them, or get the low-res PSX sprites.
Look at my before previous post. The developers scaled the weapon sprites and cut them down alot.
They were too small for this. The marine's hands looked like baby hands. You would need to scale the sprites up to fit the screen like the psx ones, but this would be extremely pixellated due to their low resolution.
They're the closest you'll get to the real thing as for now. :P
I would love to use the psx sprites though.

Edit: You know? We changed the offsets of the pc ones to match the psx ones.
Last edited by unknownna on Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
phi108

Post by phi108 »

??? How can I enjoy sprites that are the exact same sprites that I have been seeing since Doom 2?

And I guess a simple solution is to delete all of the weapon sprites in sprites/, so I'll settle for that.

But fenderc01, make sure you look into SBARINFO for the hud, so it will work in GZDoom and ZDoom.

EDIT: Oh this is a team effort? Well, all this time I was thinking fenderc01 had gone and done the whole thing like Chris Neilson.
Thanks fenderc01 and unknownna for yet another PSX TC.

EDIT: OK, when's everyone in the "thanks to" going to get together and do the ultimate, flawless PSX TC? I'd rather not have to switch between different projects.

And isn't there a way to set up the MAPINFO for music names from Doom.wad and Doom2.wad, and name the appropriate tracks in the pack the same names as the iwad tracks?
Last edited by phi108 on Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:04 am, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”