Lizard Squad: A cartoony ZDoom mod - Version 5.2b release!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Lizard Squad: A cartoony ZDoom mod - Version 5.2a releas

Post by armymen12002003 »

Are you still doing the texture packs.
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

I am. Progress has been real slow. I only replaced about three textures since the last time I did any progress unfortunately. I've kind of lost motivation some time ago, but I hope to pick up on it some time in the future.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

god speed, LC. and good to be it's back on track.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

i should give this a run again sometime with the texture pack. i remember it being pretty good if a bit difficult.
YukesVonFaust

Post by YukesVonFaust »

glad to be back on track, lizardcommando!
(now if i can only do a humanized version of Lizard Squad...)
(but full of metal slug stuff... with less half-life...)
(a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶ ̶l̶o̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶S̶a̶b̶e̶r̶ ̶M̶a̶r̶i̶o̶n̶e̶t̶t̶e̶ ̶J̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶e̶r̶e̶n̶c̶e̶s̶.̶.̶.̶)
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

How about adding this in? This gun is to a gyrojet what a small flintlock pistol is to a M2 Browning, basically.

Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

Why don't you just make an addon with it instead of asking lizard commando to do it?
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

Sgt. Shivers wrote:Why don't you just make an addon with it instead of asking lizard commando to do it?
I can't mod for my life.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

EddieMann wrote:
Sgt. Shivers wrote:Why don't you just make an addon with it instead of asking lizard commando to do it?
I can't mod for my life.
Then go learn! =P
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Isn't it bloody obvious? as LC told before, no more custom-made ideas. Weapons in this mod is fine enough.
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

EddieMann wrote:I can't mod for my life.
Learrrn thiiings.
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

EddieMann wrote:How about adding this in? This gun is to a gyrojet what a small flintlock pistol is to a M2 Browning, basically.

Sorry, not gonna happen. Like everyone is saying, use it for your own mod.
lizardcommando

Re: Lizard Squad: A cartoony ZDoom mod - Mod Debrief

Post by lizardcommando »

Hey guys, not sure if anyone is wondering about the status of this mod or not, but Lizard Squad is essentially done. I haven't done any work on it since god knows when and I haven't really done much work on the texture pack as well.

Now I want everyone to give me their honest feedback/critique on the mod. This was very long overdue. What worked with the mod? What didn't work? What are some things that could have been improved upon? Favorite weapons, items, vehicles and enemies? Be as honest as you want. I already have a couple critiques of my own:
  • Sprites definitely needed improvement, especially the weapon sprites. Improving them was definitely on my to-do list. As the mod progressed, there were some sprites that looked a lot better than the earlier sprites. I didn't mind the enemy sprites so much. I know there were a few that needed some improvements. Compared to the weapons and items, the enemies turned out much better in the end.
  • Animations needed improvement. Basically the same thing as sprites. Improving them was also on my to-do list.
  • Use completely original sprites. The Metal Slug series is the main inspiration to Lizard Squad and my lizard characters. However, that doesn't mean to blatantly use sprites from those games. I was eventually planning on replacing "borrowed" sprites and make my own.
  • Scale back the weapon list. There were a lot of weapons in your disposal. A little too many. I could have gotten rid of a couple of weapons like the Assault Shotgun and the 9MM Pistol
  • Get rid of Classes. I don't honestly remember what gave me the idea to pursue this. I think my brother gave me that idea, haha. I only ever use the Cowboy class these days. I love using the revolver and doing trick shots to kill bad guys around corners. The Spec-Ops class is fun too.
  • Make levels designed specifically for this mod. Probably the biggest one for me. Level design is a bit too far out of my skill range, but I bet having a small 7 map episode would have been a very good idea to show what kind of world I wanted to build.
As far as things I'm proud of, I'm just happy I was able to replace all of the enemies. I ended up remaking all of them except for the Phantom (that came directly from ICD-Lizard). I'm also really happy with how the vehicles turned out. They were pretty damn fun to use, although there weren't very many levels as far as I could remember that could really utilize them very well due to their sizes. The animations did get better as the mod progressed. They could be better though. I'm really happy how the Metal Slug tank's sprites and animations turned out.

What do I plan on doing with this feedback? Make some kind of spiritual successor to this mod. I can't promise it'll happen in the near future. It might not have my lizard characters. However, I want to have my lizard characters come back in some form in the future. Who knows when that'll happen.

Anyways, thanks for everyone who has supported this mod, followed this mod and played this mod. Your guys' support helped me get through some tough times. Hell, I'm surprised I had worked on this mod for a little over 10 years! The very first released version of this mod was called The Exterminator and had a completely different looking Charge Blaster and only half of the enemies were released. I never would have thought I'd have vehicles in the mod. What a helluva ride.

I would love to hear everyone's opinions.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

To be fair, I did not know this mod even existed... :oops:

I guess I will have to give it a shot now, as it looks right up in my alley.

Regarding the sprites, they should look less like MSPaint doodles and more like they are from a SNES/Genesis era game.

Also, I encourage you to make sure all weapons are designed for widescreen resolutions. And speaking of widescreen, a widescreen status bar would be a good thing to have too.

I am also a bit puzzled by the weapon sprites: those that are centered look fine, but the angled ones look like they are not aimed at where they shoot.
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

I don't blame you for not knowing this mod didn't exist. Last post was made back in 2015, haha.

The whole issue with the widescreen compatibility: This mod was started way before widescreen support was a really big thing.

Also, all those issues with the weapon sprites pretty much fall into the first two categories.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”