Corvus to HeXen

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
neoworm

Corvus to HeXen

Post by neoworm »

Idea is to add Corvus from Heretic as 4th playable class to Hexen.
I started converting some weapons to pngs to use them in Hexen. Also started recoloring of Corvus to Hexen pallete to keep color customization (which is not possible with PNG).

But there are some things that are bothering me. I wanted to use mage item placement but change all mage pickups to custom inventory items that will give the right weapons to ricgt classes (determined by some dummy inventory item with which corvus start). One problem is that all weapons look like the mage weapons (this can be probably changed by some script). Second problem is the major one - I set the SpawnClass to mage but Hexen simply not recognize Corvus as a mage. So all three weapons are spawned and Corvus can use them all.
And another thing that bothers me - how to change flechette behaviour for corvus.

I was playing with this yesterday and today so not much was done, but even now I think that it could be impossible without changing maps...

Is there anyone who wants to cooperate on this?
Virtue

Re: Corvus to HeXen

Post by Virtue »

i tried this one a while back, i was stuck at the same point as you with playerclasses and whatnot, another thing that bothered me was trying to add the tome of power and getting the weapons to work
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

I started remaking corvus sprite. Original was too small compared to Hexen characters. He will carry Ethereal crossbow now.

Ben2k9:>> Can I use your D´Sparill Staff sprite as Corvus Ultimate weapon?
Attachments
New Corvus
New Corvus
HexCorvus.PNG (4.28 KiB) Viewed 5829 times
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

Wow nice, so you got the Corvus player class working?

(I'm looking forward to this, because I've always wanted to make a Hexen wad with most of the Heretic stuff in it too) :)
Nash

Post by Nash »

How could Corvus possibly exist in the Hexen world? I thought Heretic and Hexen took place in two totally different worlds?
Ryan Cordell
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Ryan Cordell »

For all we know it might be just that Hexen's somewhat more in the future than Heretic. I can't recall.
Project Shadowcat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Project Shadowcat »

Nash wrote:How could Corvus possibly exist in the Hexen world? I thought Heretic and Hexen took place in two totally different worlds?
This one's correct, however I've lost the manual. It had all the explanation behind it.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Didn't the intro movie from Heretic II have Corvus going from world to world/ dimension to dimension via portals until he eventually got back to his home world?
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

Technicaly it is the same world, or to be exact the same Universe. There were the same Serepent Raiders in both games.
Ryan Cordell
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Ryan Cordell »

Hey, if anything, didn't Heretic state Corvus went through various portals to get back to his home place, after defeating D'Sparil or those Minotaurs?

Who knows if he could've ended up in the Hexen era/areas.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

If you followed the story, he ended up in his home town again to fight another infestation (see Heretic II)
Nash

Post by Nash »

I just had this funny idea in my head... what if something in the portals screwed up and Corvus ended up in the modern world... hahaha...
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

I don't see why it's such a big deal whether he was officially from the same world/universe; the character and weapons certainly fit with the hexen atmosphere, which should be more important than the "stories." Of course the most important deciding factor should be whether it will be fun to play. Hell, I think putting the doomguy into hexen as a "marine" class would be fun >=)
Nash wrote:I just had this funny idea in my head... what if something in the portals screwed up and Corvus ended up in the modern world... hahaha...
Yeah, speaking of, Corvus into Doom would probably be a better fit gameplay-wise... But I'm sure someone has done this already?
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

So whole first frame of walking animation is done, I will try to complete it tommorow.

About the weapons.
Gold Wand - so Corvus will be second character with ranged starting weapon, its awfuly weak so it will be quite hard in some places.
Ethereal Crossbow - Blue mana weapon. Its Heretic trademark weapon, it cant be left out
Hellstaff - Green mana weapon. It will probably need some strenght balancing. Maybe it will work in powered up state only.
Ultimate Weapon - I am not decided what will this be. Heretic doesnt have any real Ultimate Weapon. It will probably need new sprites. I have 3 adepts right now - D´Sparill staff, enchanced Phoenix Rod or Crystal Lance (the weapon on the title screen of Heretic).

I found out that someone already made Corvus mod for hexen. But its for JDooM.
http://www.geocities.com/hexen_star/corvus.html
Attachments
HexCorvus_.PNG
HexCorvus_.PNG (9.63 KiB) Viewed 5719 times
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

bagheadspidey wrote:I don't see why it's such a big deal whether he was officially from the same world/universe...
Well, I certainly see no reason why a mod can't be made to have Corvus in Hexen. Hell, I don't see why the Doomguy or Strifeguy, or even Gordon Freeman or anyone shouldn't be there if a mod author wants it. It just so happens that Hexen is a very natural feeling game for Corvus to be in, regardless of whether the official story line supports it or not - and IMO, it certainly doesn't rule it out. Let's face it, the game is called Hexen: Beyond Heretic.

So, for me, it's not an issue at all. However, it is an interesting point for discussion.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”