[WIP] The Good Guys V2 [Updated P1 20080317][Screenshots P4]

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
MartinHowe

Re: [WIP] The Good Guys V2 [Updated P1 20071120]

Post by MartinHowe »

TheDarkArchon wrote:
Blade Nightflame wrote:There's no b in 'Dum-Dum'/'dumdum' expanding bullets.
*facepalm*
rotflmao!!

Err, BNF, try this, it may help :P

I suppose you think Korax really does spend his time trying to sell "death insurance" to people when he isn't busy murdering elves :)

OK, here's the docs for these (I'll do a formal update later today)

Dumb? Dumber? Even an elephant would forget his own name with two of
these in his brain; when you need an insane amount of stopping power in
a traditional alternative to plasma rifles and atomic disintegrators,
the Black Cat .44 Magnum Dumb-Dumb (tm) round is your cleverest choice!

Designed to split up inside the target and leave no exit wound, Dum Dum
bullets are the ultimate round for bringing down the bigger beasties.

Licensed only for the Police, Dumb-Dumbs (tm) are illegal for military
use and could get you court-martialled; then again, the executioners of
Princess Diana probably don't give two hoots about the Hague Convention!

I did this because the handguns and sniper rifle are meant to be high-stopping power weapons and should not use ammo that in the game is indistinguishable from those with RIPPER flags (i.e, slugs).
MartinHowe

Re: [WIP] The Good Guys V2 [Updated P1 20071121]

Post by MartinHowe »

Updates (see page 1):

2007.11.21:
-Bible of Blasphemy zombies now play their sight sound if waking from boredom.
-Bible of Blasphemy zombies now have full *slurp* animation sprites.
-AresPistol, MagnumHandgun and SniperRifle changed to use dum dums instead of slugs; see this post for the reason why
-Black Cat MDM-2744 Dumb-Dumbs (tm) added as an ammo type.

This makes the BBZs as complete as they need to be for now; implementing combinations of idling action - e.g., with/without eyes closed, head up/bowed/down, etc -- is possible as all action combination sprites are now present in the wad; they're just not all used yet. For the perhaps most obvious action, a callable USE state in decorate (or DoomScript) is needed.

Priority next is fixing the knife animation. After that, unless more bugs are reported, I'll probably design the WMDs.

Then I'll look into the lack of comprehensive area damages for the black magic primary fire actions and the nuke detonation -- the WMDs will likely have the same problem. Even the original BFG9000 suffers from this; for example, at the end of TNT MAP01, try firing the Bible of Blasphemy *directly* into the cubbyhole that contains the exit switch; you should find that the chaingunners aren't even wounded; even the vanilla BFG won't usually affect them. Of course, if we had some sort of "creeping death" area damage codepointer...
MartinHowe

Re: [WIP] The Good Guys V2 [Updated P1 20071121]

Post by MartinHowe »

Update (see page 1):

-Improved knife animation
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: [WIP] The Good Guys V2 [Updated P1 20071120]

Post by wildweasel »

MartinHowe wrote:Credit to WW for the original "GUN-NUT (tm)" box, LOL :)
That came from a replacement Half-Life model, I believe.
MartinHowe

Re: [WIP] The Good Guys V2 [Updated P1 20071126]

Post by MartinHowe »

Update (see page 1):

-Fixed minor Bible of Blasphemy AltFire spawn bug
-As promised, added an enhanced Heart of Heresy AltFire effect that at the moment occurs randomly, though I may make it an artefact possession effect in future versions. It's random with a chance of about 25%, so be patient and Resist the Temptation (tm*)
Spoiler:
MartinHowe

Re: [WIP] The Good Guys V2 [Updated P1 20071128]

Post by MartinHowe »

Update (see page 1):

-Replaced ACS scripts with enhancements to the custom player class for enhanced compatibility

If anybody's tried it in multiplayer and has problems, please let me know. Not being into MP myself, the only problem I can foresee is the player colour translations - I started a MP game on my own (local) computer using two windows just to see what would happen, and the player sprites always show up black; then again, for Co-Op it shouldn't matter - the SAS don't go into battle wearing garish blue and green uniforms so that they can all identify each other :) Thinking about it, it should be OK for non-team-orientated DM games too -- because everybody is your enemy :P
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Might want to change those "none" ammotypes to ""s since "none" is not supported by the SVN.

I still think the black magic hazards needs a bit of tweaking. For instance, if you shoot the Heart of Heresy's primary attack anywhere while in the green corridor in map01 you'll always die instantly. I have no idea why, so basically unless I go through every map and memorize the spots where this happens, the black magic direct attacks are pretty much deathmatch/godmode/shitsandgigles-only.

Possible bug: the dumb-dumb round icon on the HUD is stupidly large. :P

Now to try the multiplayer...
MartinHowe

Post by MartinHowe »

IIRC, "None" or "0" is ok for ammo types and such, just not state labels and/or function parameters. I'll keep it in mind, though and see what happens on the next GZDoom release.

Incidentally, this mod should work with plain ZDoom except for the assault shotgun flashlight, though GZDoom's sidebar-style HUD really is a must for any weapon mod these days.

Like I could give a dead Dalek for the dumb-dumb icons :) Seriously, I do know what you mean, they appear next to the nuclear warhead case by chance so they look a bit odd; just remember these are icons like in Windows; they're not intended to be "to scale".

Finally, the profane primary attacks and the nuke detonation are a kludge at best; like I said earlier, they suffer from attempting to approximate a BFG blast with projectiles, which is necessary because the BFG damage cannot be customised. This is something I want to look into, but I'm going to be without a computer for the next week or so, so you'll just have to pray that Bast is merciful - go buy a cat or something :)

Oh, and have you tried the HoH's secondary attack yet? The extra special effect needs tweaking a bit when it appears but it's sure a lot more fun that just resurrecting a monster all the time.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Wait what's this about not just rezzing... ::checks::

...hahahahahahaha

also, OMG FLASHLIGHT :DDD (didn't notice that the first time - was running on ZDoom until the "none" issue came up)

Icon or not, I still think the dumb-dumbs are a bit big...
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

1.) You should probably add some "replaces" to a few of the weapons, so that they replace the old Doom pickups.
2.) The Clipboard is my favorite weapon. More mods need Postal 2 weapons :D

Good stuff so far!
MartinHowe

Post by MartinHowe »

Vaecrius wrote:Icon or not, I still think the dumb-dumbs are a bit big...
Aw crap. Not seen that before - I always using the GZDoom side-bar display, which scales the icons; evidently that mode doesn't. When I get home next week and thus have access to my own computer again, I'll try out various display settings and see exactly what's causing this. Presumably that screenshot is from GZDoom, rather than plain old ZDoom? And what screen resolutiion is it?
Kinsie wrote:You should probably add some "replaces" to a few of the weapons, so that they replace the old Doom pickups.
An add-on WAD to this that contains a "compatibility layer" for playing normal levels is intended eventually, though maybe not on the very first official release.
Kinsie wrote:The Clipboard is my favorite weapon. More mods need Postal 2 weapons :D
"Postal 2"? Never heard of it, I'll check it out.
Kinsie wrote:Good stuff so far!
MartinHowe

Re: [WIP] The Good Guys V2 [Updated P1 20071208]

Post by MartinHowe »

Update (see page 1):

-Created prescaled HUD icons for all ammo types for people who don't/can't use GZDoom enhanced HUD
-Fixed AmmoType None problem
-This should now work OK with recent SVNs of "plain" ZDoom except for the Assault Shotgun flashlight (which requires OpenGL lighting effects)

@Vaecrius - this should fix the dumb dumb dumbs :)

@Kinsie - LOL Postal 2 :D
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

MartinHowe wrote:"Postal 2"? Never heard of it, I'll check it out.
To give a quick explanation: One of the levels has you going from door to door with a clipboard trying to get people to sign a petition to make whiny congressmen actually play violent videogames. You generally start off polite, but if you keep trying on someone who keeps saying no your character will start with the swearing and threats, usually resulting in the police being summoned, and we know where that goes...
MartinHowe

Re: [WIP] The Good Guys V2 [Updated P1 20071223]

Post by MartinHowe »

Update (see page 1):

-Implemented the Neutron Degenerator (slot 7 secondary)
-Minor typos fixed here and there

Screenies (all 640x480x24 PNG, total about 512KB)
Spoiler:
Extract from the manual:

Made under licence from Black Cat, UAC has added to it's Ultra Weapons
Range the 777-29B Neutron Degenerator, designed to mimic the effect of a
neutron bomb, but in a properly controlled and targeted manner.

The Neutron Degenerator bombards the target area with deadly neutron
radiation; neutrons will damage anything, but are particularly harmful
to living (and undead!) tissue and this weapon makes full use of that.

The Neutron Degenerator is a wide-area damage energy weapon and the name
is a pun on degenerate matter objects such as pulsars and magnetars.

The blast area is very wide, 160 degrees lateral, 70 degrees vertical - now that's what I call Mass Destruction :)
MartinHowe

Re: [WIP] The Good Guys V2 [Updated P1 20080104]

Post by MartinHowe »

Update (see page 1):

-Project retargeted to ZDoom (SVN r654 or greater required)
-GZDoom support *temporarily* unavailable (will allow working shotgun flashlight)
-Nuclear Disruptor renamed Molecular Disruptor
-Implemented the Molecular Disruptor (slot 7 primary)
-The other two WMD have working weapon sprites
-Nuclear explosion sound works properly now

The only functionality that the mod had requiring GZDoom was the assault shotgun flashlight, the rest now works fine in "plain" ZDoom. I kinda realised that it was crazy to require GZDoom, which is updated nowhere near as frequently as the ZDoom SVNs, when there have been a raft of improvements to ZDoom in the recent past, some of them essential for the WMDs (and the black magic primary attacks, for that matter) to be anything more than cheesy BFG rip-offs.

So, unless something urgent occurs, next up will be implementing the other two WMDs and refactoring the black magic primary attacks to use the same basic method; the nuclear warhead detonation will have to stay as it is for now, though it will need tweaking for performance on slower machines as it really does lag.

Finally, regarding the black magic weapon primary attacks: don't try using them in confined spaces; porting the WMD architecture to them will improve things a bit, but firing the HoH primary attack in a narrow corridor probably will kill you for the moment :P

To fix these problems would require the ability to transmit "who owns me" information via hitscan attack codepointers such as A_CustomBulletAttack that are used from generic actors either by using a different field from self->target or adding another argument to them, plus some messing about with P_SpawnPuff. In other words, until DECORATE feature requests are being considered again, firing black magic and nuclear weapons in a confined space without getting killed is a non-starter :(

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”