ZDoom project ideas you have

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
EddieMann

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by EddieMann »

DoomKrakken wrote:The "Binding of Isaac" game is grotesque, the concept is hideous, and the items are plain disgusting. It's a hyper-twisted interpretation of the true story of Isaac.

I do not believe it has any place in Doom. I mean, seriously? Blood? Excrement? Cat heads? A hangar through the head? No thanks...
What are you, some sort of Moral Guardian?
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

I had a great idea!

How about a psychological horror TC where you play as a nameless psychopath who snaps gets possessed and goes on a rampage in a small city?
It'll mostly take place at night-time, the main weapon would be a slow-firing and weak machine gun, there could be 17-21 maps.
There could be parts where the main character's insanity is looked into, but never completely explained.
I can't do this kind of project because I don't even have any experience at making doom wads. I can't sprite, code, or map even if my life internet connection depended on it.

Here's the inspiration for my idea:
Last edited by EddieMann on Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

How about we not demonize mental health issues for the sake of horror for once.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

EddieMann wrote:
DoomKrakken wrote:The "Binding of Isaac" game is grotesque, the concept is hideous, and the items are plain disgusting. It's a hyper-twisted interpretation of the true story of Isaac.

I do not believe it has any place in Doom. I mean, seriously? Blood? Excrement? Cat heads? A hangar through the head? No thanks...
What are you, some sort of Moral Guardian?
YES. YES I AM. :D
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

zrrion the insect wrote:How about we not demonize mental health issues for the sake of horror for once.
Then replace mental health issues with demonic possession, it'll still work.
raymoohawk

Post by raymoohawk »

id like to see a mod inspired on the gantz manga (dont remember if i already said this), and another one based on akame ga kill

on a more interesting note, id like to see some of the terrain mechanics of disgaia applied to a doom mod
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

I'm surprised nobody's made a mod based on Orcs and Elves, yet. It was even made by ID Software. Maybe I'll take a crack at it.
tsukiyomaru0

Post by tsukiyomaru0 »

MetroidJunkie wrote:I'm surprised nobody's made a mod based on Orcs and Elves, yet. It was even made by ID Software. Maybe I'll take a crack at it.
You might need to extract resources from the DS game, because I think it is impossible to extract from the Mobile ones (including J2ME, iOS and Android)
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

tsukiyomaru0 wrote: You might need to extract resources from the DS game, because I think it is impossible to extract from the Mobile ones (including J2ME, iOS and Android)
That was my intention, actually. The DS version has much better visuals than the mobile version, anyway. Now if I can find out how to open these extracted bin.lz files.

With the way things are going, I'm beginning to think I'd be better off just taking screenshots and removing the backgrounds via GIMP, at least for the weapons.
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

There should be the Zdoom/GZdoom equivalent of Postal 1.
FireFish

Post by FireFish »

Something which has been floating around in my mind, and for which i already tested maps,
but do not have the patience to do in a doom engine ;

A big open map with a desert enviroment with safe areas, monster areas, small plaza buildings scattered around, and bunker dungeons.
People spawn into it like they do in MMORPG games. Monsters drop loot, you can explore to find items, boss fighting quests, and the sort
would be your gameplay needs.

It would be like a low tech action MMORPG.
GuardStrike

Post by GuardStrike »

I actually would like to see a mod where the story involves of a marine that somehow became a half-demon, half-human.

He was a science experiment to where scientists try to fuse one marine and one doom monster into one being. Many failures and critical thinking in a year later, one marine finally survived the fusion of marine and hell-spawn. That marine however, is you.

The scientists rejoice as they finally succeeded in the fusion. Though you however, was not happy with this and anger started to fuel your power. That's when the Icon of Sin contacts you through telepathy and says this backwards. Though your demon like powers allow you to translate it. "That's it my minion. Get angry. Show them pain and suffering. Show them the wraith of hell."

As he finishes talking to you, you do exactly as he says and you murder the scientists without hesitation with your claw hands very similar to the imps. The alarm is then raised and marines and security are aware of your onslaught. You then start to make your escape as you murder every human being that dares to stand in your way and try to kill you.

That's the prologue part of the story. Which could serve as a cutscene for the beginning level.

Now on to the gameplay part. The gameplay is that your a demonic fused marine that has the same powers as the monsters from DOOM. Well, not yet at least. You start out as a weak demonic marine with only your impish claw hands. But after completing the first level and escaping the lab, you're then teleported by the Icon of Sin so he can speak with you about your next task.

After that, you're given the choice to use the souls of your dead enemies as currency to purchase more abilities to add to your demonic powers. Such as being able to lob a fireball like the imps, be able to crunch and eat the living bodies of your enemies with razor sharp teeth like the pinkie demons, summon a pistol, shotgun or chaingun to use like the zombie dudes.

Also you have the choice of summoning or hiring one of Icon of Sin's monster minions to aid you on the levels. Though if your buddies die and you complete the level and return to the Icon of Sin, he'll scold and punish you. The strength of the punishment depends on which minion you brought with you. If a zombie dies, Icon is more forgiving as they are weak trash. However if a hired cyberdemon dies, the punishment could either mean instant death which means a game over and he deletes your save, or he'll take all of your abilities. So hiring demons from Icon is a system of risk versus reward.

As you progress further into the mod, more abilities, upgrades to those abilities unlock and different hireable hellspawn unlock. The most powerful of merchandise you can buy from the Icon of Sin, like a built-in rocket launcher ability like the cyberdemons, are only available near the end of the game where it gets harder.

Finally when you beat 7 levels, you get to fight a UAC boss marine on the 8th and so on. These bosses range from fast and strong marines wielding BFG9000s and Rocket launchers, to marines being in a giant mech robot with quad rocket launchers.

Your reward for beating a boss is having Icon of Sin teleport you and congratulate you on your progress and your reward is more unlocked abilities and you get to play a roulette game to see how much souls he'll reward you with.

After beating all of the bosses, you unlock all of the upgrades you can purchase, yet you feel like you should be free instead of being Icon of Sin's puppet. The Icon however notices this and starts to send his army of hellspawn to kill you and now you're in a constant battle between not only the UAC, but the very hellspawn you're fighting with.

After plowing through Icon's seemingly endless wave of demons, you finally reach him. Then he says "I knew this would happen."

Then you say, "Why didn't you kill me before I started all this mess master?"

Icon then says "You say master. Yet you still wish freedom against my will. Do you think I'm just going to give up my throne that easily to you?"

You say like a smartass, "Why yes. In fact, you "will" easily give up your throne. I suggest you run before I murder you."

Icon angrily says "We'll see who murders who after I cut off your disgraceful mouth."

You confidently say "Then cut it oh powerful one." in a sarcastic tone.

After beating the Icon of Sin, the ending is that you now rule over hell and the Icon of Sin is now "your" puppet after resurrecting him against your will.

That's it for now. I hope I didn't say a mouthful.
RikohZX

Post by RikohZX »

With the recent release of Hotline Miami 2 over a week ago, I'm no modder but I had this weird sort of idea where the player's placed into various maps with quick-to-kill enemies, weapons in their hands as well as lying around that can quickly be thrown or switched between (but never carried in full altogether, so I guess each weapon would have to be an individual Item), and quick deaths / quick restarts for the player as well forcing twitch reflexes combined with a sort of overhead view in the top-right corner of the screen so you know what you're charging into due to perspective. A sort of FPS-ization of the high adrenaline action of Hotline Miami.
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

Ok so a mod idea

COP DOOM
YOU CAN TAKE 2 HITS
1 INJURES YOU
2 KILL
DONT DIE
SHOOT THINGS

Chainsaw: A baton
Fist: Kicky shoe whats-its
Pistol: Yer trustey revolver!
Shotgun: Shotgun! An old favourite
Super Shotgun: nuthin, friendo!
Chaingun: Semi-Auto Pistol! Dont'cha wish your precinct got these!?
Rocket Launcher: Flammable Tear gas! Won't do much unless ya light it. (pls don't tell anyone its flammable)
Plasma Rifle: Top-o-da-line AR-15! Too bad you don't get any fancy pants attachments
BFG9000: A UAC PLASMA RIFLE! Holy toledo, now we're talking!

monsters shoot you and stuff
but they die pretty quick because you're hardcore
if you get shot once you are invincible for a bit but if you get hit again you dead
you're also slow and can't aim because you're bleeding n such when ur hit
so yeah don't get shot it sucks

but yeah so enemies have pretty low health amounts (like quake but you do doom damage neat :D)
nukage is rlly bad for you so don't walk in it too much (stea- i mean borrow terms demonsteer code)
uh
hmm
so like tracers i guess?
i dunno
you're hitscan
they arent
that's fair right?

better write up later

EDIT:

Only graphics I need now are a baton and some kind of fancy plasma rifle, I got sprites for the rest done. :D
Graviton

Epic DOOM

Post by Graviton »

A Gzdoom total conversion for doom 2 that would use a modified version of brutal doom in which Doom guy starts off in a mental institution which he was sent to after tasking about what happened on Mars and phobos. Eventually something causes all the doctors in the place to become possessed and you have to fight your way through to regain your weapons. Slightly inspired by wolfenstein: the new order and the video game Evil Dead: Regeneration. Besides that , I thought of everything myself. Lost soul would start as a normal disembodied ethereal human face and morph into a skull when attacking. Would say "Help me." hoarsely when idle. Would possess you when you die and either drop you from a high altitude or levitate you slightly and break every bone in your body.Mancubus would smash your skull with its cannons and proceed to smash everything else you have. Baron of hell/Hell Knight would pick you up, slap you back and forth and then tear you in half. Everything would be hires with either models or sprites, depending on which looked better. Probably will make this eventually but it will be a while.

Return to “General”