ZDoom project ideas you have

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by wildweasel »

Why do we need to remake other games in GZDoom? Why not just take inspiration and do something new?
tsukiyomaru0

Post by tsukiyomaru0 »

wildweasel wrote:Why do we need to remake other games in GZDoom? Why not just take inspiration and do something new?
Because making something new is harder, I think? I do get your point, though. I once had ideas of making a Bullet Hell Shooter in Zdoom or GZDoom
NachtIntellect

Post by NachtIntellect »

This has probably been thought of before but I would like a splitscreen wad that can be carried over onto any wad for example, if I wanted to play Brutal Doom with one of my friends but oh wait, he doesn't have the internet, there's a big enough screen for the both of us to play on, we could load up Brutal Doom/whatever with the splitscreen wad, allowing us both to play, I know this sounds kind of impossible but think of the possibilities, hell I could probably even play both screens at once, it shouldn't be that hard, AutoAim would have to be on though.

Edit: Also if need be I can use a program to have one person use the keyboard and the other use the controller, there is infact a program for this, all that'd need doing is to add in some keys to replace the camera movement, I can't exactly remember what the program is called but basically it detects the controller in use and allows you to configure buttons and such, it's real handy, I've even used it to play, Resident Evil 4, Dead Space and Nazi Zombies Doom edition.
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

Already tried with a mod here, suggested and [No]'d most recently here, among others. Just sayin' ;)

8-)
mamaluigisbagel
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by mamaluigisbagel »

This'll be a long post for an over-suggested idea, but with a few touches from other mods. And yes, this is an idea I have, I'm not asking it to be a feature.

Sadly, this is about co-op bots. NO! Put down that gun! Before you shoot me for mentioning it for the 50th time, hear me out. Something I've wished for was to recreate my own Doom Comics. No, not the same as the "real" Doom Comics. In my comics, there were four marines (based off of the four original colors: Green, Indigo/Gray, Brown, Red) with their own personalities that worked together to go through the Doom maps. I won't go into detail about the comic, storyline, etc but rather continue with my wish. I recently played the quaker540 add-on to Brutal Doom simply out of boredom, and it must have the best ally marines I've ever seen. They dodge, follow you, teleport to you if they stray too far, give you ammo and stimpacks when you need them, and even transfer across levels! Anyways, I always wondered why nobody tried to make a co-op marines mod based off these. In fact, they're pretty much the only reason I play BD. They're like the perfect co-op bots.

Then, there's DECORATE bots. I remember a co-op marine mod where you could summon marines with specific weapons and specific colors (the original 4 colors, to be exact) I loved it as well, but it faded away. My idea was, why not implement the same AI as the marines from the quaker add-on, with the co-op marines mod? Is it possible?

So here's how it'd work: In the console, you would type a similar command to the co-op marines mod (summon gmp = summon Green Marine with Pistol) and it would summon the same marines from the quaker Brutal Doom add-on with the specified color and weapon, possibly using the Marine Skins that show what the marine is holding. Obviously they wouldn't roll, do brutalities, or anything like that, but this would be so they'd work with vanilla. They would still give you ammo, health, follow you, etc.

Now I've read almost 6+ co-op bots threads before joining, so I understand why it'd be hard, but I don't mean like ZDoom bots, but DECORATE marines (or whatever the BD marines are. *coughpartialinvisibilitycough* ) Thinking about it, I imagine it'd be nearly impossible to make, and of course, I have 0% experience with coding for Doom, or DECORATE for that matter. I suppose if I worked hard enough, I could make this, but right now its just a dream for me.
Carbine Dioxide

Post by Carbine Dioxide »

I think that would be sorta easy to implement DECORATE vanilla marines, but what do I know, I am a noob around here.

I really didn't like BD's marines. They threw grenades that would blow me up or almost kill me. They would also get in my way to where I had to kill them.

Anyway, it sounds like it would be a fun and cool Idea to me.
mamaluigisbagel
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11

Post by mamaluigisbagel »

Carbine Dioxide wrote:I think that would be sorta easy to implement DECORATE vanilla marines, but what do I know, I am a noob around here.

I really didn't like BD's marines. They threw grenades that would blow me up or almost kill me. They would also get in my way to where I had to kill them.

Anyway, it sounds like it would be a fun and cool Idea to me.
Yeah, that happened to me before too, and yet I forgot about that. That's the one thing I didn't like, and considering I'd prefer it to be for vanilla (or Smooth Doom, Perk Animations, etc) and not Brutal Doom, they shouldn't be able to do that.

I'm actually about to start looking into coding and see if I can do something like this. I mean I'm not doing anything else :P
SNEAKY

Post by SNEAKY »

Cutmanmike wrote:Post ideas, dreams and visions of ZDoom wads you'd like to make or help make but haven't got the time, tools or skill to do so. Don't go crazy and post things that just cannot be done in the ZDoom engine though.

Also post why you can't make the project. Who knows, maybe someone will like your idea and will be willing to lend you a hand! :idea:

Here's one I constantly think of doing and even gathered resourced to start it once. 28 Days Later doom. If you've seen the movie you know what to expect but if not, basicly it would be a zombie infestation.

The gameplay would be that you're randomly spawned into a huge city or town, maybe even connected via hubs. There's no monsters at the start so you're just walking around this empty city. After a while zombies would start randomly spawning (I have a system planned for this using some a_checksight trickery). Some would chase after you right away, some would walk around aimlessly until they see you and some would just stand still. They'd be fast (like in 28 days later), the same speed as the player. Ammo would be limited and you'd have a "sprint" bar so you can't just avoid them all day. The aim of the game would be to find the helicopter which is also randomly spawned in the huge city in certain areas.

Okay now here's the killer: the maps. I can't map for taters and i'd want it to look as "realistic" as it could in Doom. Alot of work would need to be done. Also here's another reason why: sprites. For the life of me I can't think of any sprinting zombie sprites.
I need help on doom builder 64! could you please tell me how do I make teleports word on doom builder 64? it is hard.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

You should go ask in the proper forum. I think Doomworld would be better equipped to help you.
Woolie Wool
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux, Windows 11

Post by Woolie Wool »

One idea that I had but I'll probably never have the time or the motivation for is a Ballistics level set where the enemies and weapons are further tuned to work as a true TC. Enemies would do tremendous damage but appear in relatively small numbers, you would die really easily, and the game would be played slowly, cautiously, and deliberately compared to Doom.
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

Actually, Woolie, I've had a sort of urging to write a mod that would procedurally (via RandomSpawners and possibly ACS) reduce enemy numbers, heighten their reflexes and damages, and try to give Doom a darker, more intense atmosphere (couple it with Dark Doom and ambiancepack.wad for maximum immersion). I think I'd enjoy a mod where I have to scrounge ammo and face off against deadly -- but sparse -- opponents.

I've also played your Ballistics mod and very much appreciated the heavy focus on gun battles. I get tired of the old demons/aliens routine. Maybe I could try to develop something that would play with weapon / item / monster spawns according to skill levels (and even checking the player's status at the start of a level, for a self-adjusting skill level)? I mean with Ballistics, unless you'd rather I didn't.
Woolie Wool
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux, Windows 11

Post by Woolie Wool »

That would be interesting, though I really think Ballistics was never really a good fit for regular Doom levels, the way it plays is completely different from Doom.
Hellstorm Archon
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Hellstorm Archon »

Considering how chronoteeth did some certain sprites, and that torridgristle extracted sounds from Wolf: TNO, perhaps there could be a TNO-themed mod, or at least have those aforementioned resources put to good use? I was considering starting something I'd like to call "Brütal Wolfenstein" (no, I'm not counting on it being a mod for you-know-what, I've thought of it as more of a standalone deal), but I'm generally too lazy to tackle something of such a scale, not to mention that I've started doing college stuff now. :P
Grant_Wolfskin

Post by Grant_Wolfskin »

A realistic one level Bad Toys 3D remake.

* When you enter Delta Military Systems Inc. it is raining and thundering out. You can look out the windows and it is always like this.

* Possible music track: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eukoZLs2 ... D5pbnnqg-V[/youtube]

* New toys to battle. I have not thought of any yet.

* Toys and they are harder to take down. I thought it would be cool if the smiley face toy would be able to grab you and you have to tap a certain key to break free before it either bites or rips you apart.

Smiley Face Toy: Revenant
Flying Fuzz Ball: Zombie Man
Bald Shotgun Weilding Toy: Shotgun Guy
Bee: Cacodemon
Rocket Launcher Spring Toy: Baron or Hell Knight
Purple Machine: Cyberdemon

* Unexpected enemy placement
JoeCapricorn

Post by JoeCapricorn »

Not sure if this will wind up as part of a collection, or something that is stand-alone, or even if it's a feasible idea, but I'm currently working on what may be the slaughtermap that ends all slaughtermaps. One million monsters... just not at once.

The level starts out with 0 monsters, before the mayhem starts there may be a hallway for people that change their mind that just ends the level if this were part of a collection (it would be a super secret map like Map 32), then the next hallway has four options - the maximum number of monsters in the level at any given time. 1000, 2000, 4000, 6000. There are embedded waves of each monster, some of them only containing flying monsters and some having a higher chance for boss monsters as well as Mancubi and Arachnotrons. There would be stations that dispense ammo and health, as well as certain powerups that would be available only after X number of monsters were killed (so a megasphere, maybe every 1000 monsters, once it is dispensed you have to wait another 1000 monsters for it to become available again) and very likely a couple super secret stations that provide invulnerability, activate crushing platforms (since it's GZDoom I'm thinking about doing a gigantic freaking foot made with 3D floors ala Monty Python) and even kill all monsters currently on the map.

Now the key to keeping the map from eventually crashing the player's computer is some janitorial service cleaning up the bodies. Each monster comes with a tag that then has Thing_Remove when all monsters from that particular subgroup are dead. The bodies get removed, the counter keeping track of number of monsters spawned (so it doesn't go over 1 million) is increased and as long as there hasn't been a million monsters reached the next wave is spawned.

I kinda made a very basic version of this idea where it just spawned then killed 5000 imps, erasing the evidence and repeating without end. I got the kill counter to reach 450,000,000 before I decided my computer was probably heating my room too damn much and exited. The funny thing is I saved my "progress" and I'm continuing onward past a half billion dead monsters. My next test is actually to see what happens if I exit the level with a million monsters killed, to see if it crashes the intermission screen at all.

That's not all the crazy ideas I have. I posted a long while back about a level that is basically a tower with actual floors instead of fake room over room floors. I even put an elevator in it. You start the level looking toward this gigantic monolithic structure, before suddenly being zapped to the top floor. It's hard, with almost 600 monsters. Each floor has a different theme of sorts, like one of the lower floors has a ton of fire themed monsters spawned. You gotta reach the bottom floor to beat the level (though there is a super secret shortcut that allows the map to be completed in around 4 minutes)

The tower one is a completed (more or less) idea though, and I might want to look for some suckers beta testers.
Attachments
halfbilliondead.jpg
halfbilliondead.jpg (7.83 KiB) Viewed 549 times

Return to “General”