ZDoom project ideas you have

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by armymen12002003 »

I was thinking it would be cool to do megawad with different themed levels with enemies and weapons to the theme.

I.e. Medieval themed levels with medieval themed enemies and weapons and every time you complete a level you get those weapons taken away and start a new level to take on enemies with new weapons that fit the theme, which you start from a hub. kinda like the arcane dimensions and rubicon rumble pack tc's from quake.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

armymen12002003 wrote:I was thinking it would be cool to do megawad with different themed levels with enemies and weapons to the theme.

I.e. Medieval themed levels with medieval themed enemies and weapons and every time you complete a level you get those weapons taken away and start a new level to take on enemies with new weapons that fit the theme, which you start from a hub. kinda like the arcane dimensions and rubicon rumble pack tc's from quake.

This is pretty good actually. You could also make a megawad that takes place on different time periods and the enemies, weapons, are based on the era you're in.
BFG

Post by BFG »

a Serious Sam 'remake' mod, after seeing that Quake 3 arena map for Hunters Moon, it felt very much like a Serious Sam style battle. I know about Retro Encounter, but it was trying to be more like SS meets vanilla Doom than a remake. I would like it to be more like the original game with the models and intense gibs. It would also be like Paranoid where it is not just a remake of the game, but a spin-off story with completely new level settings and bosses.
Gamer With Dignity

Post by Gamer With Dignity »

I'm currently making a mod that gives a limited inventory so you can't hold every weapon at once.

On the flip side almost every weapon can be dual-wielded, so if you want to wield a super shotgun with a plasma rifle, or a minigun with a rocket launcher, you can do that. The only exceptions are the BFG 9000, unmaker, chainsaw, and double chainsaw.

Hitscanning is now completely removed from everything except the Archvile's attack, and all bullets are made into fast-moving projectiles. The bullets are very fast, but dodgeable with enough distance between you and the enemy and/or lightning reflexes.

I'm going to fix ripper projectiles so that they aren't as OP. Ripper levels will be an important statistic for weapons as well as enemies.

Lost Souls will be nerfed and made into kamikaze cannon-fodder. In exchange I'm going to add Forgotten Ones (based on but not using the beta Lost Soul sprites) which will replace the old Lost Souls and will be comparable in toughness.

Instead of 100%, health and armor now caps out at 10 points (though it's possible to get to 20 points with bonuses).

Eventually I'm planning to strip the HUD down until it just displays ammo, keys, and doomguy's face/shoulders. You'll be able to tell your health/armor levels by looking at doomguy.

Also I have some new ideas for weapons:

-Slot 1-
Double Chainsaw: The double chainsaw, like from Doom 64. Does twice as much damage. Is very dumb.
Vorpal Blade: a melee weapon that can be wielded with other weapons and lets you deflect most projectiles, kind of my attempt at Demon Steele inspired gameplay. Alt-fire will be a lunge attack or something.

-Slot 2-
Plasmag: A plasma magnum. A more powerful version of the handgun, fires plasma projectiles that ricochet and have high penetration, has to be reloaded after 6 shots. No idea what I want the alt-fire to be yet.
Rifle: Just a generic assault rifle. Moderate accuracy, moderate rate of fire, no penetration. Alt-fire is iron sights.

-Slot 4-
Minigun: Replaces the chaingun. Slow wind up/wind down times, low accuracy, low penetration, high rate of fire. Alt-fire spins the barrel without firing.
Gatling gun: Similar to the minigun but has faster wind up/wind down times, higher accuracy, higher penetration, and a lower rate of fire. Alt-fire spins the barrel without firing.

-Slot 5-
Riveter: A nailgun with a low rate of fire, moderate penetration, moderate accuracy. Pressure automatically builds when not firing which increases penetration, then drops as you fire. Not sure what I want the alt-fire to be yet. Nails can be recovered from the wall as long as they aren't lodged too deeply.
Nailgun: A hellish automatic nailgun with 4 barrels* and a low-moderate rate of fire. The more accurate you are with this weapon, the hotter the nails get until they start to glow and deal more damage. At their hottest, the nails will glow white-hot and leave glowing cracks in the wall where they land. Alt-fire shoots a shotgun blast of nails and resets the temperature of the nails afterwards.

-Slot 6-
Grenade launcher: Fires cluster grenades. Alt-fire is iron sights.
Missile launcher: Fires homing missiles. Alt-fire chooses a target to lock onto.

-Slot 7-
Plasma rifle: Technically not a new weapon, but the alt-fire will charge the plasma rifle up. When charged, it will fire red plasma balls that do more damage. Over time, the plasma rifle will lose charge whether or not you are firing it (it loses charge faster when firing), and the projectiles will go from red to green back to blue.
Blood Auger: When fired, it launches out a chain surrounded by a railgun-like spiral of flame particles. When the chain hits an enemy it will pull that enemy towards you and do a low amount of damage. Firing it at certain objects/textures will let you grapple in that direction similar to the hookshot from LoZ. Alt-fire shoots 4 gouts of flame angle-offset into a square shape that rotates. This gives the alt-fire a sort of semi-auto shotgun utility while also having a predictable but complex spread. It also allows you to pull enemies towards you with the chain and then blast them with the alt-fire. The ammo it uses are phylacteries dropped by a handful of high-level enemies.

-Slot 8-
The Unmaker: Similar to what I described earlier in this thread. Every moderate to high level enemy you kill will automatically grant you a new kind of shot for the Unmaker themed around that enemy. Because the Unmaker isn't a traditional gun, I'm going to try to avoid having it shoot traditional projectiles, and instead focus on AoE, status effects, orbitals, and summons. The Unmaker can't be dual-wielded and because the only way to collect ammo is to kill moderate to high level enemies, you will eventually run out of ammo unless you average at least one kill per shot, forcing the player to use different weapons even though it's very powerful.

*As a rule I like to avoid sticking multiple barrels onto a weapon and calling it an improvement, but the nailgun is my only exception because it's hellish. Also gatling-type guns don't count because they are functional and the super shotgun doesn't count either because it's bad ass.

-=SOME OTHER IDEAS=-
The health bonuses will allow Doomguy to go below the "death state" rather than healing him. His face could be beaten to a pulp and his brain could be hanging out but he'd still be going strong because of the bonuses, only dying when there's nothing left of his face but a mangled skull. In this state, normal health packs won't be able to heal you and instead you'll need intensive trauma packs, which use the black and red berserk pack sprites. Berserk packs will instead be replaced by berserk spheres which are functionally identical. Rather than healing his wounds, collecting health bonuses will make Doomguy look more pale and zombified, which is the only indication as to how far below the initial death state you can go without dying. This changes the functionality of the health bonuses since they are now independent of health. As a stretch goal, I'd like to add a feature where going below the death state and then healing with a trauma kit will leave Doomguy with visible scars, which are removed by health bonuses.

Medikits are now a full heal. Stimpacks heal one point.

I'm going to add in 5 new in-between damage states to Doomguy's face sprites so that it will be possible to tell exactly how much health he has. This is in addition to the 10 super gory should-be-dead-by-now doomguy faces.

There will be ways to lose your weapons, but I haven't thought of any I like yet. Once I get to the mapping stage, all silver teleporters will remove your armor and weapons upon entering.

Berserk spheres will make you instantly drop your weapons and make it impossible to pick up weapons again until the effect wears off. They will also make you run faster, jump higher, punch/kick faster, grant temporary invincibility and the ability to deflect projectiles with your fists, all in addition to the traditional explosive punches.

I plan to voxelize as much of this as I damn well can, starting with projectiles and also have sprite support for people who prefer GZDoom.

The point of this mod is to create a more fast-paced and arcadey style of gameplay reminiscent of games like Hotline Miami, Action Doom, Demon Steele, Binding of Isaac and Devil Daggers, and also to allow map creators to have more control over the types of levels they make. Since you can only hold a maximum of two weapons at a time, it allows creators to do things like make megawads where every map contains every weapon, allowing for better pacing, or persuade the player to experiment with new weapons/weapon combos. It gives more purpose to health and armor bonuses too so now there's little reason to spam them all around a level.

I have a 5-episode storyline planned out that I really hope to make, but I don't want to post too much of it because it's all very subject to change. The general idea is that you saved Mars from Hell, then you saved Earth from Hell, and now you have to save Hell from itself.

So far I've got the bullets replaced with projectiles thing done and the health is limited to 10 points too, and I've updated all the health items and enemies to reflect the new health counter. Also I've been working on the Blood Auger and I'm mostly done with its main shot. I've been working on this mod for about a week or so. Tomorrow I'll voxelize all the bullets.
BadMojo

Post by BadMojo »

Project ideas eh... I was considering doing a quiver conversion for zdoom... Ive already done the fajita maker
YukiHerz
Global Moderator
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YukiHerz »

Familiar/Innocent Devil system for hexen, a new class, like a summoner or necromancer, able to summon friendly monsters to aid him in battle, but unlike other types of summoners, this one can replenish its familiars' health by colecting a new powerup dropped by enemies, the familiars could have unique abilities in battle or movement like the Innocent Devils, maybe even evolve, but that's probably too much work for nothing.
BFG

Post by BFG »

a map of a city, with a main road with all different type of 3D model car variants driving around in it that go on a set grid (kinda like how Raven did the Death Wyvern in Hexen).
I am surprised why it has never been done.
LordOfTheSluggies

Post by LordOfTheSluggies »

Like, a Meal With Mancubus mod, where one player controls A Mancubus who's carrying around a tiny doomguy on his head, so kinda like Big Daddy/Little Sister or Donkey Kong Country

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eBVa38PgP8

Or a Rex Marksly/Delilah Moreau mod if anyone here listens to Steam Powered Giraffe.
DOOMERO-21

Post by DOOMERO-21 »

VriskaSerket wrote:
DOOMERO-21 wrote:i dreamed a Macross / Robotech mod before... but the problem are the resources (sprites).
I have a few, which I gave you a few days ago.
But I think that's not enough to do much with...
Still, it's a start.
There are not many Macross models around for me to work with and make sprites out of.
ok i have an idea of this, i was watching again Robotech and searching the veritech mode in 2d perspective in the episodes and was hard to find, but the final result was this:

this toke me 1 day.
BadMojo

Post by BadMojo »

Heres something Ive been working on, its not worthy enough to be posted as a project yet as there is no "story" and such and its nowhere near finished.. Theres 2 almost finished levels and a few more that well.. there not done yet. So far it includes 4 new weapons of my own creation, Custom sounds, Custom textures, Custom music and Ive included credits to the resources Ive used at the moment, but Ill be working towards creating my own resources and using that instead of using other peoples stuff.

But anyway, have fun with my very alpha first ever megawad that doesnt even have a proper name yet :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1yj55ecya8xmm ... t.pk3?dl=0

Should probably mention... It works best in GZDoom, I havent tested it in zdoom yet.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

A strife mutator that makes acolytes shoot avoidable tracer bullets instead of bullshit accurate hitscan attacks.
Clownman

Post by Clownman »

Spoiler:
Boom, 10/10... No, seriously - I think it would be fun.
LogicalFallacy

Post by LogicalFallacy »

A vertical-scrolling shmup. It seems like it should be possible, given the tools we have today. I just don't quite have the knowledge or experience to make something like this yet.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

LogicalFallacy wrote:A vertical-scrolling shmup. It seems like it should be possible, given the tools we have today. I just don't quite have the knowledge or experience to make something like this yet.

forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=32541
LogicalFallacy

Post by LogicalFallacy »

4thcharacter wrote:forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=32541
Thanks! Now I definitely know it's possible and have something I can reference when I get around to it. Also that mod is pretty darn fun.

Return to “General”