ZDoom project ideas you have

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
defndrs

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by defndrs »

Hmm, wait, not really a whole town. I rather think of a nice pixeled background of a Warhammer style town in a dim light and only very few houses in the front or even some kind of "fake" walls/facades like in a fake western movie town. Maybe even clever use of flat textures/planes could work...
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

I'm way more interested in the game concept than the aesthetics myself (or Doom engine melee weapons which I'm very much not a fan of) so I have no comment.

That said, if it's not necessarily vital to the concept that we replicate Vermintide...
defndrs

Post by defndrs »

Getting the game concept to work in ZDoom would be paramount anyway. The rest doesn't really matter - I could always mod melee weapons in or try to find maps to work with it. So if the basic concept of a survival/horde/L4D Gameplay in ZDoom would stand (with a single hub inbetween maps), you could practically "mod" everything else in. Be it Wolfenstein content, Castlevania or Skaven ;)

As of now, there is only "Stronghold" for Doom, I wonder if that could be used as a base.
xenoxols
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by xenoxols »

I've got an idea that I'm going to start working on, had it in my head for a while. Anyways, the idea was to have a Castlevania mod set in the old west, where you would use firearms, TNT, magic, and of course, the vampire killer. It would be fairly open, somewhat metroidvania like, and may or may not have npcs.
Carbine Dioxide

Post by Carbine Dioxide »

how about a mod that's like Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness? That was my favorite out of all of them. I played this one WAD once with the music from that, I forgot what it was called though.
xenoxols
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by xenoxols »

Eh, I decided to just go back to the projects original goal: a remake of Castlevania 1/4.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

A thing I've always wondered, with most FPS games - even tactical ones - is, when reloading, where do the extra magazines tend to come from? It's understandable that a guy comes into a major military action carrying a full load of extra magazines, but what about the guy that just showed up one day and found a pistol on the ground?

The idea here is a refactor of how ammo and reloading works. To start with, you have a pistol and two loaded magazines. Any ammo that you find will tend to be in the form of individual bullets or boxes, which would need to be loaded into magazines (probably using a "clean up ammo" key, or more likely, hold the Reload key for a few seconds) in order to be quickly reloaded into the weapon. Otherwise, you'd spend much longer loading your weapons, or in some cases, be reduced to firing just one shot at a time as your character quickly just inserts one round into the breech for lack of time. Want more reloads? Find more empty mags that you can use. Want that nice capacity upgrade for your rifle? Well, unless you can find multiple extended mags, you'll only have one reload with the extra capacity.

A further idea is to handle ammo inventory in a similar way to Bungie's Pathways Into Darkness; your inventory is actually a branching tree list of containers within containers. Your rifle, for example, has a few empty slots on it for attachments and the magazine, while the magazine has empty slots for ammo. Though this could get out of hand, very easily...
Big C

Post by Big C »

wildweasel wrote:A thing I've always wondered, with most FPS games - even tactical ones - is, when reloading, where do the extra magazines tend to come from? It's understandable that a guy comes into a major military action carrying a full load of extra magazines, but what about the guy that just showed up one day and found a pistol on the ground?

The idea here is a refactor of how ammo and reloading works. To start with, you have a pistol and two loaded magazines. Any ammo that you find will tend to be in the form of individual bullets or boxes, which would need to be loaded into magazines (probably using a "clean up ammo" key, or more likely, hold the Reload key for a few seconds) in order to be quickly reloaded into the weapon. Otherwise, you'd spend much longer loading your weapons, or in some cases, be reduced to firing just one shot at a time as your character quickly just inserts one round into the breech for lack of time. Want more reloads? Find more empty mags that you can use. Want that nice capacity upgrade for your rifle? Well, unless you can find multiple extended mags, you'll only have one reload with the extra capacity.

A further idea is to handle ammo inventory in a similar way to Bungie's Pathways Into Darkness; your inventory is actually a branching tree list of containers within containers. Your rifle, for example, has a few empty slots on it for attachments and the magazine, while the magazine has empty slots for ammo. Though this could get out of hand, very easily...
One thing I love about Hideous Destructor is that it actually sort of addresses this (although I think you only really have to worry about actual "magazines" for battery cells and recharging them---if you have spare 7.76mm ammo you will always have an infinite amount of Liberator mags you can put them in, for example).

Also, as for that link... :shock: :woh: :trippy:
Carbine Dioxide

Post by Carbine Dioxide »

wildweasel wrote:A thing I've always wondered, with most FPS games - even tactical ones - is, when reloading, where do the extra magazines tend to come from? It's understandable that a guy comes into a major military action carrying a full load of extra magazines, but what about the guy that just showed up one day and found a pistol on the ground?

I think Resident Evil Outbreak had something like that.

Clicked on Oyster's thoughts to see this:
Oyster wrote: haha what
hold on
GENTEK

Post by GENTEK »

Who want to join me to make a DARK FOCRES Mod but a REALLY NICE Mod!
I work on the PDA (Thank you KODI! :P), CODE and CREATE more beautifull effect than the original, recolored all officers, I remake all 3d Model like in the original game, animated Kyle Katarn's ship, weapons move like in Software Pitch Render, new textures based on the originals are made and I make other stuff!
I want to remake all old levels that you can unlock when you pass the new story! PM me if you are interested!
ImageImageImage
Last edited by GENTEK on Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:37 pm, edited 6 times in total.
tsukiyomaru0

Post by tsukiyomaru0 »

Silly idea for a custom difficulty: "This is Maze of DOOMlana". What would it do? You start every map with 100 health, can't go above the cap, there will be no healing items... The only way to heal is through EXP (carried over through levels).
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

I'm actually in the works of making a Matrix mod. Can see some alpha progress here:

Download

Currently, I have the following done:
  • Wall jumping
  • Wall running
  • Single to dual weapon pick-ups
I have a laundry list of things I want to do with this:
  • Bullet-time
  • Advanced movement:
    • Rolling
    • Wall cartwheels
  • Weapon throwing
  • Tracers for all weapons
  • Re-skins of enemies
  • Tons of other crap
There is a ton to go through and I've been kinda slacking on this. Hopefully I can turn it into a decent mod as I've seen some Matrix styled mods before but not like how I envision it. Most of the problems however extend to sprite work as I can edit certain things but I can't do crap for making anything from scratch.
YukiHerz
Global Moderator
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YukiHerz »

An idea for running Doom 64 on G/Zdoom:
Providing hand Zdoom's text lumps with a tool that can convert the Doom 64 wad into a pk3 usable with zdoom, with only the graphics and other lumps that have no issues loading in Zdoom, this tool could also convert the maps to udmf, extract the sounds from the soundfont as the wad only has midis that play specific instruments and converting other necessary files that can't be loaded in zdoom.

Of course, creating such a tool would be a big task, but i would love to be able to run Doom 64 in zdoom without having to provide the game's assets, i suppose most the issue would arise from the map conversion as there are some features that aren't available in udmf format such as flipped textures.

*Note i don't account for licensing issues between d64ex and zdoom as my knowledge of licenses is null as is my versing in such tools.
eyesoftheworld94

Post by eyesoftheworld94 »

I have a standalone idea for Doom 2: Combining my love for Doom as well as The Trailer Park Boys (amazing tv show from where I'm from (canada - i live in the same area they film at) - would it be possible to make a DOOM Wad that utilizes Ricky, Julian or Bubbles (randomizes them as the character per mission/ level) within the game, all the while using soundbites/ clips, and stories from the television show. Or you could be an upandcoming thug in the underworld, working for Ricky, Julian and Bubbs ?
gabrieloup

Post by gabrieloup »

Transformers TC for Doom 2 anyone?

Imagine, you can play as your favorite autobots and play in levels based in battles raging in the G1 show and the 1986 movie, even including the fight against Megatron with the Touch theme playing in the background. Still wonder why there hasn't been a SINGLE Transformers TC for Doom, but so far, even Aliens had it's own TC. No plot at all, no cutscenes, nothing like that. Just something similar to the Aliens TC. Or I guess levels could have specific playable characters each (so that you could shift between the Autobot and Decepticon sides, or maybe even play as a human), but that would break compatibility with other maps.

The characters would have sprites directly photographed from the original toysets, just like Doom also had hand-made clay figures as enemies and toys as weapons.

Return to “General”