ZDoom project ideas you have

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Kontra Kommando

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by Kontra Kommando »

did this really quick. Perhaps I will make it a real enemy one day.

I want it to be part of a future WAD i have planned. I want nothing but thrash metal that i like for the music.
Hellstorm Archon
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Hellstorm Archon »

While I was just goofing around in an external hard drive, I found this little gem I wrote quite some time ago, when Doom 4 was originally announced in 2008, so I made up something as speculation.
January, 2148
They thought it was all over. With the fall of Mars City, the UAC built a new Mars City, called Mars Metro; as well a base on the moons Phobos and Deimos called Tei Tenga, also known as the “Pandorium”, for there were rumors that this base that rests on two moons housed fauna similar to that of the Mars City incident. You are stationed as a marine in a UAC base in Qatar. Hours after you arrived, you and your squad were sent to investigate disturbances occurring on Tei Tenga. After investigating these disturbances, you were to report to Mars Metro to await further orders. Simple enough, right? As you are being transported to Tei Tenga, you reflect on the nightmares at Mars City. After you reach the Phobos part of Tei Tenga, you, as well as your squad, enter the base, only to find in your horror that the Phobos moon base is smothered in bloodshed, unholy malevolence, and wrack. You can only speculate what happened to the Deimos moon base….

Meanwhile on Earth, unusual goings-on have been occurring. Electronics are malfunctioning for no apparent reason, children are becoming gravely ill due to an unknown disease, and other disturbances. While you are fighting your way through the Phobos moon base without your squad, the situation only got worse. The skies gradually to turn blood red, violent tremors shake the Earth to its core, and volcanoes burst with inconceivable rage. Finally, demonic creatures start to spawn everywhere. The larger the population in a city, the worse the situation would get. Burning souls transformed people into mindless, flesh-eating shamblers. Billions were now either dead or turned into zombies within a matter of hours. Then, as you catch up to your squad at Mars Metro, the militaries of the world tried to fight this scourge, but cannons were melted, aircrafts went down in flames, soldiers were mercilessly butchered, and humanity was dangerously close to losing the impromptu war known as Hell on Earth. Little do you realize you will have to take back your planet, your species, and your soul……
Perhaps someone could turn this story into a mapset?
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

Just a quick little idea.

Strife RTS mod; from the perspective of the Order - you begin by crashing the comet into the planet, releasing the virus which gives you control over "infected humans", they do the basic gruntwork until you can upgrade them and build better machinery. You salvage parts from the comet [which is actually the Order's ship] to build some basic necessities: Power Generator, Acolyte Constructor and a Factory. Power generator is powered by Crystals which you obtain via other facilities you build later, but for the beginning you start with one crystal, you need a crystal to build subsequent power generators. Acolyte Constructors convert your basic "infected humans" into Acolytes, you'll need resources to build your acolytes, and humans to convert. You have to capture groups of humans and subdue them to be able to process them into Acolytes. Factories are used to provide weapons, ammunition and later on, with the use of advanced factories, robots such as Crusaders, Reavers and Inquisitors.

That's all I got so far, but the end goal is 100% population control, and all rebellions quashed. Did I mention random Front attacks? Yeah they'll happen, the first rebellions will be unarmed civs, easily stopped. But later in game you might find some of your facilities being raided by the Front. If they're successful they'll launch an assault on more of your buildings - factories, prisons, power plants, barracks, etc. Losing even one of these facilities would be dire. Late game enemy raids would be difficult to fend off if you're unprepared.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I'd like to air a concern of mine.

The Ultimate Doomer's work stands out in my mind. Here's an author who really grasps what it is to make urban-themed Doom maps; high-concept maps, etc. Fragport (well, half of it anyway), Super Sonic Doom, etc. The problem is, these maps are so high concept that they often present compatibility headaches with source ports (even source ports that the maps were originally designed for!), mods (I know of only one mod that even works with Super Sonic Doom and it was never publicly released...XASERRRRR), and sometimes ordinary gameplay (there's some suspension of disbelief needed for some of the effects in Fragport to really work).

I know TUD tends to mark his projects as "MAY NOT make modifications", but I honestly feel that these projects really need to be updated for newer ZDooms. For example, Fragport Map06 would be really simple to fix up with silent teleports and horizon lines, while Super Sonic Doom could be vastly improved by just fixing up the way the fake-3D floors and doors work, among other things.

Kind of wish we could take on such a project, but with the permissions being set this way and the fact that TUD seems incommunicado at the moment...probably never.
tsukiyomaru0

Post by tsukiyomaru0 »

Playing some good old games I realized: Faxanadu could have a fan remake/sequel on ZDoom. The game wouldn't transition too poorly on Hexen/Heretic theme, plus the fact it is something so amazing that must be experiences first before you can properly judge it (trust me, I used to think it was lame just by seeing still shots, the videos motivated me enough to try it, and playing it felt really undescribeable. It's an underrated gem).
Jblade

Post by Jblade »

wildweasel wrote:I'd like to air a concern of mine.
*snip*
I'm sure a compromise can be reached - I imagine that there is a difference between using the content and changing it to create something else, and modifying it to maintain compatibility and ensure it can continue to be played by future generations of Doomers. TUD's stuff is a product of it's time and it would be a shame for it to end up unplayable in the future without tracking down obscure copies of Zdoom to play it in.

I think if it was modified JUST to fix all the problems it had (and things like gameplay or story weren't touched at all) than I doubt he would have issues with it (and of course add a clause in the readme saying the project would be taken down if he objects) It sounded like Serpent Resurrection was to be his last Doom project so he may not ever come back sadly.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Unfortunately, Ty Halderman of the /idgames archive thinks differently; that's why there is STILL no readily-available WAD version of Strain. Rather, if you want to download Strain from /idgames, you would need DOSBox and a copy of Doom 2 to run the Strain "installer," because its readme file stipulates that it "MAY NOT be used" as a base for further files, meaning that a pre-installed WAD file would be strictly verboten on /idgames.
Jblade

Post by Jblade »

Well that's frustrating, but ultimately the price to pay for something to be on /idgames - there's surely tons of other places to host it though? Of course I say all this as a non-doomer so I think I'll just settle for seeing a modern SSD as a pipedream.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

I want to simulate a living ecosystem.

The ground could be covered by lots of little things that can be picked up and eaten, and ooze and bud asexually after gathering enough ambient energy.

These could be eaten by several other species still low on the pyramid (but some of each might eat each other), while larger vegetation might provide fruit or pollen-bearing food bits.

Pretty much everything but the little oozing guys would have to breed sexually. Collision in Doom being what it is, it would probably involve the male leaving a sperm packet on the ground or something.

...the player might get the Hideous Destructor SSG and the option to hunt things or just hang out and chill in the wilderness.

Gonna be a lot of work and almost certainly would not work without custom (very large) maps.
tsukiyomaru0

Post by tsukiyomaru0 »

I kind of hate myself for this idea, but perhaps a Bionic Commando on ZDoom, more based on the NES/GB and ReArmed.
raymoohawk

Post by raymoohawk »

one day :rock: one day

cirno is the strongest!
luckygreentiger

X-COM doom

Post by luckygreentiger »

I've been playing a lot of the new XCOM lately and I thought "how cool would a XCOM FPS be?" and then I thought about the XCOM FPS they were going to make (ew) and the 3rd person tactical shooter they did make (ew as well, IMO). So anyway, I searched for sprites someone might have made for the new XCOM but found instead an abandoned project using the sprites of the old X-COM.

Well, so my idea was just to make a run and gun shooting game like the original Doom using the X-COM enemies and lethalities of the original X-COM and nothing near as ambitious as the original X-COM DOOM project (which apparently was going to have bots and more). Does anyone know where I can get the X-COM wad from that project? It would be extremely helpful.
SoloSpaghetti

Post by SoloSpaghetti »

Spoiler:
This... as an enemy. :D
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

SoloSpaghetti wrote:
Spoiler:
This... as an enemy. :D
GERTY just wants to help you. :(
kevansevans
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by kevansevans »

I kind of want to make an achievements mod for Doom and Doom 2. And not just regular acheivements like the one you find in BFG edition, those are freaking lame. I'm talking "UV MAX Five/ten/twenty/Every level(s) in a row", "Beat # levels under par time", "Fire 25 shotgun shots without missing or damaging demon (each shot must kill)", "Beat # levels without firing a single shot", "Beat dead simple without hurting an enemy", "Kill a cyberdemon using your melee"

You know... stuff that can actually be considered achievements.

Return to “General”