ZDoom project ideas you have

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by phantombeta »

TheUnrealRogue wrote:EDIT* I would really want to see a doom mod where you're whole goal is to fuck around.
Go play HDoom then!
(jk. Sorry xD)
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

TheUnrealRogue wrote:I would really want to see a doom mod where you're whole goal is to fuck around.
Please specify the italicized text.
phantombeta wrote:Go play HDoom then!
(jk. Sorry xD)
You just haaaaaad to go there, didn't ya? XD
TheUnrealRogue

Post by TheUnrealRogue »

DoomKrakken wrote:
TheUnrealRogue wrote:...fuck around.
Please specify the italicized text.
A mod with no story or motivation. You can do almost whatever the hell you want. Maybe one big city map with civilians and all kinds of destructible objects. Something that would never get old.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

A finite sandbox (even if randomly generated, the ranges of options still remain finite) with no goal to work towards would get old pretty fast, at least without regular updates with new content.

(That holds doubly true in the case of an H game :V)

Now that Red Eclipse no longer supports the old libc6 from Debian Stable I've been wanting to make a "Zed Eclipse" weapon/gameplay mod incorporating all the stuff I like about RE's weapons and movement, with a few personal tweaks of course. Not sure if it'd ever get past the concept stage, given how many weapon mods there are around already and my dread of trying to figure out what I have to sacrifice work around for Zandronum compatibility...
Arctangent

Post by Arctangent »

TheUnrealRogue wrote:A mod with no story or motivation. You can do almost whatever the hell you want. Maybe one big city map with civilians and all kinds of destructible objects. Something that would never get old.
I feel like the last sentence conflicts with the rest of the post. GTA, Saint's Row, Just Cause etc. are jammed packed with different things to do, sometimes completely unrelated to the base game, and they still get old. And that's with an engine that can actually support the stuff that can turn hilarious, such as ragdolls, advanced physics, NPCs loading the wrong models while using the same animations, etc.

It'd probably be better to make something really freeform or with a ton of emergent gameplay, but still have an arcade-ish vibe so there's always the motivating factor of beating your best score, or the best score of someone else. And no, score like in Goat Simulator wouldn't work with that, as you get points for literally everything and so scores are really an issue of how much tedium you can bear.

Edit: blah ninja'd
TheMightyHeracross

Post by TheMightyHeracross »

A fan(?)-remake of Mars 3D into something decent. Something about that game gives me this feeling that it could've been good. You know, redo the sounds (KEES MEH ESS) and levels, and sprite edits (ew mismatching hands and gun positions). I think it'd be cool.
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

I've been thinking alot about it as of late as i've been playing hideous destructor. Really the only thing it could use is some enhanced graphics, effects, and sounds. The gameplay is there, but one of the things it could use is some sprucing up. Even if its sprites and sounds only. the other thing i want to do is tweak the scopes, maybe add a CS sniper like texture for it instead of the free floating scope.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

TheMightyHeracross wrote:A fan(?)-remake of Mars 3D into something decent. Something about that game gives me this feeling that it could've been good.
in that case, ZBacktrack please
ordo.malleys

Post by ordo.malleys »

More badass shotguns:
- auto shotguns (USAS-12, AA-12, Pancor Jackhammer, H&K CAWS)
- NeoStead 2000 instead double-barreled shotgun
- Flame shotguns (Nuclear throne and Crimsonland)
ordo.malleys

Post by ordo.malleys »

Combi weapons (combibolters and Painkiller weapons):
Rifle+flameconon
Rifle+Plasma gun
Chaingun+Rocket launcher
fluff

Post by fluff »

A Small Soldiers/Sarge's Heroes style conversion.
Gameplay wise this wouldn't have to change anything technically but some fun gimmicks could definitely be utilized under the theme; Speaking of which... the theme would obviously be the selling point. Playing as a toy version of Doomguy opens up so many whacky possibilities for levels, as well as weapons and enemies because you're just a toy after all, it doesn't have to "make sense" or fit any theme other than you being a toy.

I'd already have it made, even if nobody else wanted to see it, for myself. I lack the talent in any department to get it done though.
ReedtheStrange

Post by ReedtheStrange »

Will somebody please make a Jazz Jackrabbit WAD.
RV-007

Post by RV-007 »

I think it would be fun to make a Beverly Hills Cop TC, starring Eddie Murphy and the music.
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

I got an idea for a wad:

It's January 2123 A.D, and you play as a short robot-man named A.l.i.a.s (Artifical Lifeform Intended for Assassination and Sabotage), who's been turned into a brainwashed war machine through numerous experiments, who's right arm is replaced with an auto-shotgun (like how the Cyberdemon's arm is a rocket launcher), who wants revenge against the army who turned him into an abomination, and seeks to eliminate his creator.

LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

EddieMann wrote:I got an idea for a wad:
I had an old project that wasn't too dissimilar from this, EU-8. EUs were humans stripped of their humanity and trained to be machines of destruction, suited in mobile powered armor coupled with an orbital AI weapons platform. Specifically, they get sent ahead of colonization ships, and wipe out a planet's native population before the ships arrive. EU-8 and her AI secretly developed a companionship that slowly re-developed her humanity. Sent to wipe out a supposedly non-sentient race, eventually she discovers they actually have a developed culture, merely living simple lives underground. Realizing the scores she's killed damages her progress toward her humanity, and is faced with a choice gameplay wise: Continue on with the elimination, or turn around and defend the planet from the human colonization effort. Siding with the natives and wiping out the colonists would result in a boss battle against another EU sent to kill 8. EU-8 would then use the defeated EUs return shuttle to set off to wage war against the EU program (epilogue). Siding with the colonists ended with a never developed alien boss and re-integration with the EU service, but starts an inter-galactic war with the aliens.

I was never happy with any of the progress I made, and gave up on the project. Was a mash up of Starship Troopers (book), Kurt Russell's Soldier, and an Outer Limits ep about human prospectors killing what turned out to be an alien boy scout troop camping out on an undeveloped planet.

Return to “General”