ZDoom project ideas you have

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
tsukiyomaru0

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by tsukiyomaru0 »

One thing I'd like to see is a Doom with the same environment of Doom 3 or the Legacy of Suffering, but a different story. Instead of being the awesome Marine however you are an ex-marine who had been jailed with a scheduled execution... However on the Final Day, hell breaks loose, a Pinky breaks you out of the cell and you kill it barehanded, proceeding for your great escape.

Early one you should only be able to get temporary melee weapons, like a metal bar, wrench, broken shotgun... Those can be thrown to hit far enemies and you can't carry many of them. But no sweat for a badass, right? Later on you get some weaker guns, starting with a nail pistol, then going for a riot shotgun, assault rifle, rocket launcher... And goes on... However as you progress you witness the Doomguy progressing as well. At some point, you will have to engage him, but you can't win: once a certain time passes, a Cyberdemon will interrupt the fight and Doomguy will leave to get rid of Mr Big Guts. That will be your cue to get the hell outta there. After this point you won't see Doomguy again... Until after you defeat VIoS, who found a way to manifest freely. Unfortunately, you get fatally wounded and the last thing you see is Doomguy coming in the distance... And blowing your head to pieces.
Clownman

Post by Clownman »

^ I'd love more Doom 3 themed maps too, but of course with the normal Classic Monster designs. ((I'm fine if they are given their Doom 3 sounds of course.)) Basically almost something like Doom 4 where it feels both modern and classic.

Other than that, I kinda wanna make some sort of Duke TC that's a retelling of the first (and maybe the second) game, Essentially what LameDuke's original idea was supposed to be in a way. I'd have to find some good mechanoid sprites that feel like Proton's mechs though.
goldsteed

Post by goldsteed »

I've been reading a bit of crossed recently and i was wondering what if someone made a doom wad based on the gore filled comic
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

If I ask wildweasel and Xaser permission, then I could fuse elements from Style and Parkour respectively to create a really cool hybrid mod. Blasting things with akimbo weapons running on infinite ammo and style points while doing cool "freerunning" moves sounds pretty awesome.
sonic_HD87

Post by sonic_HD87 »

goldsteed wrote:I've been reading a bit of crossed recently and i was wondering what if someone made a doom wad based on the gore filled comic
If the wad is accurate to the comic's content, it would be x-rated or erased for heavy content.
DnB-Freak

Post by DnB-Freak »

So whats wrong with combo locks?
There're no even in D3 :glare:
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

MJ79 wrote:If I ask wildweasel and Xaser permission, then I could fuse elements from Style and Parkour respectively to create a really cool hybrid mod. Blasting things with akimbo weapons running on infinite ammo and style points while doing cool "freerunning" moves sounds pretty awesome.
Assuming you weren't planning on using Style's weapons, I can't exactly claim credit for inventing the "style points" concept (I borrowed it from Dead Man's Hand by Human Head Studios), so consider my permission 100% accounted for.
RSSwizard

Post by RSSwizard »

More weapons ideas...
You start with most of the weapons but they're broken, they need repair pieces. And you only have 4 weapons total, though they have alternate fire modes that make up for it. I guess the weapon pieces are just as much like picking up the weapon, treating it as if you dont have the weapon at all (unselectable). But it would definitely need to have upgradeable (replaces the old weapon you have) type weapons.

Basic Rifle Thing - Get the grenade launcher piece and it can fire bolter grenades (rocket launcher). The rifle fires semi auto or 3 shot bursts. Get the scope and it can zoom in.

Some Energy Gun Thing - Mainline weapon. The fuse starts out broken, so you salvage a fuse from the first one you find. Then there's a modulator out there which upgrades it to full strength or turns it into a contra spread gun (replace SSG on map ids). Maybe it works without the pieces and has infinite ammo but it shoots a really weak shot (a crappy laser rifle). Otherwise ends up being like a shotgun when operational though.

Chaingun - Machinegun slot, you dont start with it but it gets picked up. Maybe like the heavy assault rifle from D4. Maybe upgradeable too... the upgrade piece being a belt fed module so that it just dont need to be reloaded anymore.

BFG - A weapon you start with but which is missing several "classified" modules. Its a semi auto energy ball shooter to start with, like caco shots. One module might allow it to do something weird, like chain lightning, or spit out living energy balls (lost soul behavior). Having all the modules gives it the BFG. Just short of that it would double as a plasma gun.
KarolineDianne

Post by KarolineDianne »

I've really been itching for mods and maps with a Quake 1 flavor and atmosphere to them. Though sadly it's getting harder and harder to scrape the barrel for that particular niche, having already played Slipgate and Dissolution to death. It's getting to the point where the only logical conclusion is 'Just make it myself', but I've never so much as touched any of the editors or code for Doom or its source ports, so I'm not really confident I could do anything.

On the other hand, I have dabbled in sprite art and game design more than a little over the years, mostly in various versions of Gamemaker, but I have my doubts as to just how qualifying that experience counts as. In any case, the primary ideas regarding this hypothetical project would be stuff like...

- Dark, muddy color palette, probably taking textures right from Quake 1, maybe even PSX Doom or Doom64 textures as well.

- Dark, atmospheric lighting and effects, similar to PSX and Doom64.

- Droning, spooky ambient soundtrack, likely borrowed directly from Quake1 or Doom64.

- Custom weapons that feature a mix of meaty industrial-scifi guns and arcane artefacts. I'd want every weapon to adhere to an aesthetic of wrought iron, stone, and wood, with a healthy smattering of bloodstains, rust, and arcane. In particular, I'd want to create things like... An ancient double-barreled shotgun primarily carved from rune-etched stone that fires blasts of eldritch energy, emitting unholy wails and flame from the breech when broken open to reload.

- And of course, altered or replaced enemies to match up with the new themes. I'm unsure exactly what would fit best here, but I'm sure there are plenty of monster sprites that would work out, presuming the ones I often see added in other mods are available to be used.

One of the main concerns would be whether I should bother with mapping at all, considering level design is something I've never been good at in anything I've done. It may be best to just go the GMOTA or Demonsteele route and make it one of those 'load in whatever maps you want' total conversion mods. But more than likely the biggest I could probably ever get, presuming I even start at all, would be a basic weapon replacer mod. But even then, I'd still need to get my first baby steps into .wad creation before I can even try.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

The sounds and sound design are such a huge part of the Quake feel.

That, and the choppy, low-def models that nonetheless had these highly detailed (if choppy) moving, idle, breathing, etc. animations which at low res really added a surreal fantastic vibe to everything. You simply cannot replicate Quake without the idle monsters slowly wandering around on their own.

Level design, with the excellent flow and use of all three dimensions for scale and mood lighting are a very close third.
Big C

Post by Big C »

Jet Force Gemini + Doom.
kodi

Post by kodi »

Vaecrius wrote:
That, and the choppy, low-def models that nonetheless had these highly detailed (if choppy) moving, idle, breathing, etc. animations which at low res really added a surreal fantastic vibe to everything. You simply cannot replicate Quake without the idle monsters slowly wandering around on their own.
I loved the models and animations in quake for much the same reasons, but for me Hexen 2 has the best low poly animations I've ever seen.
-doomdude-

Post by -doomdude- »

KarolineDianne wrote:I've really been itching for mods and maps with a Quake 1 flavor and atmosphere to them. Though sadly it's getting harder and harder to scrape the barrel for that particular niche, having already played Slipgate and Dissolution to death. It's getting to the point where the only logical conclusion is 'Just make it myself', but I've never so much as touched any of the editors or code for Doom or its source ports, so I'm not really confident I could do anything.
I like your post, my tips:

write down a step by step schedule,
first tier make a weapons patch,
second tier items and powerups,
third tier add monsters, (expecially those from Hexen),
fourth tier sounds,
then textures,
finally soundtrack.

Don't bother with maps.

About weapons:

1: melee: two flaming axes, alt-fire for flame.
2: revolver in one hand plus skull in the other: normal fire revolver, alt-fire you shoot a fire ball (or frost ball).
3: strong: unreal flak cannon that looks like a lava runic cannon (for ispiration look the Kiss Pyscho Circus gun).
4: crowd control: nails gun, period. Primary fire bursts, alt-fire full load.
5: powerful: Blood napalm-balls launcher, period.
6: exotic or esoteric: wand/stuff etc.
7: like above...
MetallicaSepultura

Post by MetallicaSepultura »

here's a thing i'm making right now (linked to my previous post):
tsukiyomaru0

Post by tsukiyomaru0 »

So, I'm watching someone play Killer7 and... Here's my idea: Killer7 on (G)ZDoom. Each "Weapon" could be a Smith, Rings would be handled through inventory.

Return to “General”