ZDoom project ideas you have

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Evilfish6666

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by Evilfish6666 »

That's pretty what I was feeling tbh :D
Maybe some sprite upgrades and optional reloading and such, Might not even end up on GZdoom given the "exotic" lol nature of the game.
Has anyone even attempted drivable Half Life 2 style 3D vehicles? XD
kodi

Post by kodi »

There's been attempts (some ongoing I think) but vehicle physics are a bitch and a half to implement properly.
BlackLagoon

Post by BlackLagoon »

Evilfish6666 wrote:That's pretty what I was feeling tbh :D
Maybe some sprite upgrades and optional reloading and such, Might not even end up on GZdoom given the "exotic" lol nature of the game.
>3D vehicles
More trouble than it's worth imo. Driving sections are bad enough in modern FPS.
Evilfish6666

Post by Evilfish6666 »

Ah but if its to be a decent port It kinda needs the driving bits, At least 4 of the maps were based around that :D
I've already ripped nearly all the assets (massive pain in the ass lol) and began mapping, So at the very least the FPS segments should end up playable.
Scaled

Post by Scaled »

A strife-like inventory system for doom where you can pick up health, the unused portions of health/ammo (say you pick up a large ammo pack and only need a few? a small ammo box worth goes in inventory,) Power Ups, and or anything else mapmakers can come up with (would be nice to include a few stock objects like 'guy's head for retinal door scans, or severed hand, or mines... you get the idea I hope?)

Thought is it'd be goot if another Saturn map pack ever gets done and meant to compliment the small expansions Saturn Weapons bring, but something that could also be used standalone.

I have no idea how to do ACS and programming in general just leaves me feeling stupid and frustrated.

The other idea I have is to borrow a page out of Duke and have a deadicated melee key so while reloading or if your gun is suddenly out of bullets and youv're dogpiled by five or so pinkies you can punch your way out .

Has anyone other than that jokewad RPG done dialog bits, NPCs, shop owners, and the like?

Other idea I hasd is simple. Put the doom weapons in strife. Sure loading up a doom' weapon mod into strife and typing 'give all' gives them to you, but depending on the naming scheme the weapons don't take strif'es ammo, picking up strife's weapons make yu have to hit the actionbar, using the sigil is weird because half the time you can't get back to it if using doom weapons.

I just want somethign that when loaded goes 'OK crossbow is this, machinegun is that' and so on.

Mainly just because Strife's weapons are kinda meh.

Oh and another thing with strife. Have the weapon's alt fire modes actually bind to the alt fire key rather than 'oh i have a crossbow for electric bolts, but go next for poison bolts' or 'the mauler has one mode for shotty pellets, the other is green death ball.'

... I actually kinda wish you could rotate out between active sigil shot type being used both because each behaves different and takes different amounts of health. Seems like it'd be mildly neat to be able to cycle through the powers each piece has... and now that I think about it. The sigil pieces really should give some kind of stat buffs when collected. Think 'the unmaker' from doom64.

Lastly on the subject of strife I kinda wish the main games maps could be rejiggered a bit.

The Factory levels made less mazelike (fuck the proving ground, just... fuck it.) Move the mutants over to the old Front base after you take the castle. Have side missions given by the mutants. Expand the borderlands a bit so it's less of a stroll and more of a journey between tarnhill and there. Things like that. Nothing major, just... quality of life and 'would be nice' touches.
tsukiyomaru0

Post by tsukiyomaru0 »

I've been (re)Playing Tron 2.0 Killer App for GBA and noticed something really about the Tank and Recognizer segments...

It's sprites are NOT compressed and hidden at all! You only need OAM Viewer (My choice) or a Tile Viewer to see and save them!

So, an idea: a Tron Game Grid Battle mod that revolves around 4 classes as there are two types of Tanks and two types of Recognizers (Corrupted ones excluded, because they are literally reskins of the normal counterparts)

on Note
Magenta = 8 directions rotation
Magenta + Yellow = 16 directions rotation
Magenta + Yellow +Green = The game's 32 directions rotation
jdog320

Post by jdog320 »

A remake of Terminator Future Shock & SkyNET. Would love to see a buggy game remade in the doom engine.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

BlackLagoon wrote:
Evilfish6666 wrote:That's pretty what I was feeling tbh :D
>3D vehicles
More trouble than it's worth imo. Driving sections are bad enough in modern FPS.

Unless the vehicles are just scattered around in a map just for everyone to drive and fool around like in that CS map that I played a long time ago, it would work. But I don't know how it would work in Doom.

On topic:

After remembering one of the mobile games that I played since I was 13 years old, a Hexen-based mod that has bunch of portals in a hub where you go through and them "clear" them by killing their respective bosses and/or collecting items inside comes into mind. The portals are grouped into a single hub, and there will be a central town where you can revisit for supplies. There will be "item crafting" as well, or maybe your own hideout/residence where you store your earned treasures or exchange your weapons. Once you clear the first hub's portals, you may move on to the second hub but you will have to fight some monsters on the way through there.

Also, there are sidequests and secret stuff as well, but most of them are purely optional and only if you want some extra or powerful items or weapons.

Most of the bosses matches their map's theme. Ice nymph or a yeti in a blizzard mountain, magma golem/SCP-457 lookalike on a volcanic region, etc.

Not every Hexen mod has to be about puzzles.
TheDoomGuy

Post by TheDoomGuy »

I still think a "Wolfenstein Part II: Rise of the Triad" project would still be a simple, yet fun-if-done-right thing to make. :)
Big C

Post by Big C »

Anime Arsenal. It's an arsenal of weapons from anime, as the name indicates.

Fists = Wimpy and ordinary until you pick up a berserk pack. Then you can go Kenshiro on fools.

Chainsaw = Guts' Dragon Slayer greatsword from Berserk. What better weapon for a demon slayer?

Pistol = Alucard's Casuli from Hellsing. Vastly overpowered for a pistol, unwieldy, and FUN. A rare pickup lets you wield Alucard's Jackal in the other hand for giggles.

Shotgun = ?????

Chaingun = Seburo assault rifle/grenade launcher from Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex.

Plasma rifle = ?????

BFG9k = Kamehameha or something. Or maybe Killy's graviton beam emitter from Blame!.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

A fully-realized Cross-Punisher would be amazing. Especially if you had the choice between Wolfwood's (pistols, machine gun and rocket launcher) or Chapel's (the twin machine guns).

Also, how about the old cliche giant squeaky mallet?
Big C

Post by Big C »

wildweasel wrote:A fully-realized Cross-Punisher would be amazing. Especially if you had the choice between Wolfwood's (pistols, machine gun and rocket launcher) or Chapel's (the twin machine guns).

Also, how about the old cliche giant squeaky mallet?
Those work. I'd need to watch Trigun again before I knew how to implement the first two...

Paper fan also works as a melee weapon. I still like for the weapons to be distinct and recognizable and the squeaky mallet's too...Generic. Hilarious, yes, but generic. Maybe make it an Easter egg pickup.

...Come to think of it, the Yukkuri DooM Hack comes pretty close to my idea of an anime-themed weapons mod, but it's...Well, it's even less serious than what I had in mind.
YukiHerz
Global Moderator
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YukiHerz »

What about the Dominator from Psycho Pass as a possible weapon?
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

A total reinterpretation of Guncaster.

I call it "Guncaster: In Name Only".

Started off as a joke, but now I'm thinking it'd be a pretty cool idea. I'm all for reinterpretation. :D
JudgeGroovy

Post by JudgeGroovy »

Here's my idea. You have two pistols, one in each hand. It fires a bit faster than having one pistol. And that's the only change. I feel that if this mod came into fruition, it would make Doom twice as cool as it has been for the past 20 years.

I know of plenty of mods that have akimbo pistols, but they usually also have numerous other changes you might not want when playing a vanilla style pWAD.

Return to “General”