ZDoom project ideas you have

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
cambertian
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by cambertian »

Two things (one of which isn't really a project idea, but a potentially cool vanilla mapping trick):

The actual idea I have: a class-based survival based mode where you have to keep a slowly-shutting door open for a certain amount of time before moving through it and onto the next door. Monsters are coming through the door, so naturally you'll have to choose between fighting them or keeping the door from shutting. Some classes would be better suited for opening doors, some for support, some for offense, etc. The goal is to get through 3 or so doors and onto the exit.

The mapping trick: Do the usual monster-teleport trap with a monster that will only spawn on a certain difficulty. Instead of having it teleport to the playfield, teleport it to a square outside the map with a linedef trigger inside. This way, you can have things occur on the map depending on the difficulty.
RSSwizard

Post by RSSwizard »

just a weapon idea here but...

BFG that doesnt use cell ammunition.

This way you can have the BFG and replace the plasma rifle with something like a heavy assault gun. The cells then become the big bullet ammunition, or devastator mini-rockets or whatever.

The BFG gets its own custom ammo, uses one shot per attack, and gets a full charge when you get the BFG. In essence the BFG has an internal cell, or its got infinite energy but its got durability (fuses?) that degrades and it can only be fired a certain number of times.

When you run out of ammo for the BFG, the item takes itself away so you no longer have the BFG (its discarded, inoperable). Can even for visual appeal toss out a "broken BFG with sparks coming out of it" at the end of its weapon lower cycle.

While that would mean you'd get a full tank of gas to start with rather than a bfg that can (by map design) only be used a couple times, the only way to reload it is to get another BFG. It might even have a minor chance of having a "Hiccup Malfunction" and use 2 shots and seem to be going unstable for a moment. There goes 2 precious shots.

Making it uber precious and limited use (how often do you find a BFG?).
TheDoomctator

Just Straight out a Wolfenstein The New Order Weapon Pack

Post by TheDoomctator »

Well as you may have read in the title it is simple as that...
And well as i don't have a idea of how to make one i would like to see anyone of our greatest mod makers in zdoom to make one...and yes i know it isn't easy it needs a helluva lot of work and i don't want to look like a complete ass-hat,but well i can't ask politely for such without looking like one can i?
IF anyone actually wants to do such a thing there are some weapon sprites here: (some are just inspired of TNO but i would like to see em anyway)
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... NO#p698358
BUT DON'T FORGET TO ASK FOR PERMISSION AND GIVE CREDIT(bla,bla,bla you may know the drill by now,also sorry for CAPS)
So yeah it's simple as that if someone actually want's to do it please warn me in advance i would love to see this done...oh i forgot to say please...sorry
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Just Straight out a Wolfenstein The New Order Weapon Pac

Post by NeuralStunner »

The development forums are not the place to request mods!

Project ideas should go in this thread instead.
TheDoomctator

Post by TheDoomctator »

NeuralStunner wrote:The development forums are not the place to request mods!

Well I did such and my request got here still...also the link you gave me loops to back here...The fuck is happening?
Freaklore1

Post by Freaklore1 »

Say as anyone ever made a weapon sprite out of the machine guns from the game 'Red Baron',it would look nice as a portable weapon and it's from WW1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD8-WytDpQM
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

TheDoomctator wrote:

Well I did such and my request got here still...also the link you gave me loops to back here...The fuck is happening?
Your post was originally in Feature Suggestions; I moved it here. I probably should have said something when I did.
MetallicaSepultura

Post by MetallicaSepultura »

Vaecrius wrote:The most difficult thing would be replicating all the shittiness! D:
actually my idea was to make it better than this piece of shit.
for now i'm testing around with random DECORATE stuff, and also re-mapping some D!Zone maps to make something in terms of maps.
the problem is having the idea.. i mean, i have many ideas for doom mods but the problem is taking down everything you need to do:
what kind of graphic style do you want to use? (cartoonish, prerendered, classic Doom sprite style etc)
what do you want to change?
how do you want to progress in the game (structure, levels etc...)

i mean you have to put down everything before starting.
also, talking about prerenders, once upon a time i tried to remake an ANGST enemy model it's pretty shitty, but it was my first try at character modelling
TheDoomctator

Post by TheDoomctator »

wildweasel wrote:
TheDoomctator wrote:

Your post was originally in Feature Suggestions; I moved it here. I probably should have said something when I did.
Then that about settles it...my mistake there mate im new to the forums as a member,got the titles wrong and that's about it :D
RSSwizard

Post by RSSwizard »

Another idea I had was a lower end weapon set changed for more dangerous stuff. An idea sorta a cross between quake 1 weapons and resident evil 2 weapons.

* Shotgun - Instead of pistol, like in quake 1 and does less damage like the quake 1 gun also. Shells replace Bullets and you only get half as many. Security forces were given 20 gauge shotguns for keeping the peace, they didnt want them to be absurdly lethal, yet at the same time needed them to be effective with lethal shot loads.

* Small Grenade Launcher - in place of original shotgun. Grenades replace the original shells, you only get half as many. Has to be reloaded each time like the super shotgun. These are armor piercing grenades like 20mm, around 110 direct hit damage and 40 explosive with 100 spread (so it can hit a small group).

* Pump Grenade Launcher - in place of original super shotgun. Could hold up to 4 shots before requiring reload. Obviously faster refire rate than the small one, which allows you to quickly take down bigger targets (ahem, hell knights). But if it has to reload you cant just go after a crowd with it, forcing the use of other weapons or tactical maneuvering.

To break persistence of reality the explosive damage from the grenades does not affect the player (though it could have a small explosive damage call that does affect the player, maybe 20 points). The grenades would be fast projectiles with speed 50 probably, they could be given a slight negative vertical velocity every X number of frames to simulate them dropping and limit the range effectiveness of weapon slot #3.

* Auto Shotgun - Like the name says, replaces the chaingun but it doesn't fire as quickly. Pretty much just a semi-automatic shotgun. Could even use the sprite for the shadow warrior shotgun so the chaingunner sprites dont have to be changed (their refire is just slower, but they would sit there and keep firing as usual). But either way still fills the same niche mostly, the higher number of pellets induces painstates better and with a quicker refire monsters are still unlikely to retaliate if they're being gunned down.

* Rocket Launcher - Heavier duty single shot rocket launcher that has to be reloaded. You only get 2 rockets per box but the single rocket pickups still remain the same (a bonus, for picking up individual rockets). Max carry 20 rockets or 40 with backpack. The rockets do triple damage. It can do a little extra radius damage but give it 2 tiers of explosive damage (150, then another one for 150 with a spread of 60 map units or something like that). That way it can probably still kill the romero head, depending on which map pack you're playing.

Also the blast of the explosion could be done where it does the tight radius damage, but then spreads explosive flames projectiles around which do projectile impact damage like nails, and thats what really does the radius damage against everybody else (and it can be given that force thrust benefit to push people around). Provides a nicer visual and fulfills a function at the same time.

what a fun kick it would be to have the cyberdemon shooting 3 of these, like nothing had changed, but if you can dodge em to begin with it only raises the stakes. Alternately the cyberdemon could occasionally at random fire a triple-shot pack of grenades (these hurt the player fully), making the combat less survivable or predictable.
RSSwizard

Post by RSSwizard »

Okay so project idea, after the invasion of hell on earth has been repelled the player is sent into a quarantine zone to see if there are any monsters in there, orders are to return, not fight, if any are spotted so the cleanup crew can go in (the cleaners have to prioritize).

Player goes through the entire first map without running into any critters, has to grab a few access cards and flip some switches to get through locked doors. Then a door closes behind them locking them in a small complex. In there they find a strange skull switch (the large wall switch from Map11 or Map30). With no other choice they flip it, then start hearing all manner of teleportations going on outside. The door opens.

Player only has pistol and bullets, the escape area they came from is being overrun by imps, pinkies, and a horde of hell knights. So they are railroaded through one of two new doors that have opened outside, and have to hurry to get inside. Player finds a shotgun among some dead sargeants but has to run for it as the forces are overwhelming (an archvile will catch up with them if they fight).

Which leads to the player running for an unintended exit, with the fate of their rescue crew in the "safe" zone undetermined.
The Snake

Post by The Snake »

I really, really wanted to make a Deathmatch-focused Gundam mode, similar to the Mega Man one, where you'd pilot the giant mechs, they'd all of course have different weapons and whatnot, and the maps would of course be space, or cities (where you dwarf the buildings). I actually began making it and got some sprites to work but hit a wall--plus, I really don't have the time or patience anyway.
kodi

Post by kodi »

A TC inspired by Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri, a squad-based tactical mech game from 1996.

Gameplay would basically be a couple of large open maps in which one plays customizable or randomly generated scenarios like "protect the convoy" or "sabotage the power plant", with objects placed into the level through scripting. The player(s) would be able to order their AI teammates around through a minimap and do tacticool shit like call in off-map artillery strikes or close air support. PvP multiplayer would be a blast I think.

I'm fairly confident I could handle writing most of the code, but it'd be too large a project to make entirely on my own.
Scaled

Post by Scaled »

Idea I had but it'd take way WAY too much work I fear; a TC that lets you pick a hero and go delving through the halls of Dungeon keeper, with the ultimate boss being a tortured-into-evilness Avatar. Dungeon keeper has first person textures and sprites. I just don't know the scaling. If anything dungeon keeper's dungeons would be simpler than doom because it's all right angles and blocks other than sprite 'things' to represent room bits. So a lot of that could be done via actual map making to do detail work (pedistals for thrones, ledge lips, bed/bunk racks, etc.)

Another idea I had was more... system-shock-y in nature. Findable logs/codex entries, fixed booths you respawn in when you die, taking doom 2016's 'holograms that play story world buildy bits you don't have to sit through and can come back to any time. Using hexen/heretic/strife's level connectivness to be able to go between levels as you please, inventory system (easy peasey given strife support.) Object interactivity (IE picking up a power cell then putting it in a slot that causes machinery to do stuff, or turn on automated defenses.) Allies you can rescue and direct to either fight or go to a safe space you've started to fortify.

And a melee option, because kicking a hellknight in the junk never stops being funny.

Edit:

FOr something more vanilla. Considered trying to make a series of maps based on the von bruan's overhead maps from system shock 2, or backporting strife maps to Doom and have hell invading just after strifeguy got the whole Order business sorted out.

Has anyone done that? Had a combination/melding of doom, hexen/heretic, and strife levels/enemies?
DnB-Freak

Post by DnB-Freak »

Combo Locks

Boolean(On/Off) Combo locks handled via ACS.
Yellow switches identifies that this is a combo switch that can be turned on and off.
When the right combination is set, a door will open(or any other action executed).

Here's some from my WIP mod.
Spoiler:

Return to “General”