ZDoom project ideas you have

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
MetroidJunkie

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by MetroidJunkie »

I had an idea of something akin to The Escapists except, instead of trying to get out of a prison, you try to get out of a zombie infested town. Trading, completing favors, etc. with cell mates would be done with survivors in the town instead. To make it feel more like The Escapists, the town's under quarantine so you have to get through it while dealing with zombies. You can get items, build up your stats, and stuff like in The Escapists until you have a good escape plan to get past both the zombies and security outside.
Drake Raider

Post by Drake Raider »

Question. I dunno if this has been done, asked, or attempted before, because I am too lazy to search, but has anyone done anything Ultima related? Doom owes alot to Ultima, both directly in the case of the engine, and indirectly, in numerous shoutouts throughout the main Doom series. I'm throwing together a map of Lord British's Lands from Ultima 1, just on a whim, and was wondering if anyone had any other thoughts on that.

EDIT:

PM me if you want an actual project or discussion or something, I don't wanna hijack the project suggestion thread, but didn't think that this merited it's own yet.
VriskaSerket
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by VriskaSerket »

Idea? Hoo, boy. I have plenty.

But here's my favorite:

Another idea I've had was some kind of classic Resident Evil style gameplay. Walking and sprinting would be slower than default, you gotta aim to shoot, you can't move while aiming, you need to reload, which also prevents you from walking.
Also not having any HUD, instead having access to a whole inventory pause screen with a player health condition display integrated, from where you can do stuff with items you collect (Combine, Check and Drop). A certain amount of slots too, so you can't just carry all the ammo, keys and power ups at once. You can drop stuff. Pick 'em up with a button rather than just walkin' over them. Also items are not used when picked up, and are manually activated through the inventory.
Another idea I had was being able to combine items (ie: Stimpack + Stimpack = Medkit, Soulsphere + Soulsphere = Megasphere, etc.)
Reloading can also be done through the inventroy, by doing the classic "Combine <ammo> + <gun>", allowing you to reload without exposing yourself to dangers. Also certain weapons, like the Plasmagun and BFG, have their ammo displayed in percentage instead of a direct number of rounds. Some weapons may also take two slots. Obviously, to keep the RE style, you have to equip weapons in the inventory to use them. To give some balance, the ammo you can pick for guns would have a max of 250, or 100% for percentage guns.
And finally, another idea I had was different health and ammo types. For instance, a different type of Stimpack that stops bleeding only, without granting any health, akin to the Hemostat from Dino Crisis, or acid rounds for the Rocket Launcher. This, of course, would open even more combinations for health items, with special outcomes that are never found on maps or dropped by enemies and can only be achieved through item mixing.
All of this would naturally make the game have a much slower pace, and it would be designed to go along with a more unnerving enviroment (Dark Doom with PSX music or Hell's Ambiance, for example) and melee or mid-range enemies.
Also city maps like Planisphere 2, After the Holocaust and so on.
Which brings me to another dream I've had: A full wad of realistic city maps, for using with mods like RGH, Trailblazer and Goldeneye.

I guess I can always dream. The reason I haven't made any of this is because I can't mod THAT far, I just started learning. I can currently only mod sprites, sounds, textures and music, all of which is really basic. I am currently working on a Reisdent Evil item sprite replacement, though.
I guess it's just a matter of patience and not giving up, which I can surely do!
Xeotroid
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Xeotroid »

A Hexen free-roaming overworld adventure was mentioned here:
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... 64#p815786
Buuut it was quickly discarded as being impossible. I don't really think it's that crazy hard, let's just make "cell" maps like RPGs from Bethesda (Elder Scrolls, Fallout), where you have a low LOD map of the whole world and a small high-detail chunk of the world you're currently in. Here, one cell would't be a part of a giant world, it would be a one map, with the LOD map as a skybox to prevent rendering problems. Does it sound like a feasible idea? :D
Miru

Post by Miru »

Maverick Hunter 6. A MegaMan X fan-game meant to replace X6, X7, and X8 in canon. It goes back to what the earlier X games did right but in 3D. You have six playable characters to choose from: X, Zero, Axl, Alia, Layer, and Palette. Each has their own set of special weapons to obtain from the bosses. The game is by default in 3rd person, but first-person is available. While the bulk of the game is akin to X8, with the same Mavericks (changed my mind. They're now a mix of 6/7/8/Command Mission bosses), the Fortress stages are very different. Gate serves as the first fortress boss, and later revives Magma Dragoon to fight for him. Red is the next fortress baddie. After fighting against Dynamo, Vile, and Sigma, Lumine is of course revealed as the true villain. Rather than the cliffhanger of X8, the game has a happier ending (spoilers: Iris gets resurrected.)

Hated gameplay elements of the real 3D X games are removed. For example, Rescuable Reploids only show up in Gate's stage, and tie more into Gate's character.

Also, I wanted to do a SpongeBob partial conversion like Ultimate Simpsons Doom.
raymoohawk

Post by raymoohawk »

id like to see something like quake 3 arena, but featuring zdoom characters like cam, hae lin, mel, demon eclipse girl, and shamu pony etc
Arctangent

Post by Arctangent »

raymoohawk wrote:id like to see something like quake 3 arena, but featuring zdoom characters like cam, hae lin, mel, demon eclipse girl, and shamu pony etc
Ignoring how difficult it would likely be to get the consent of all involved, a crossover mod where the characters are all technically just skins and instead their gameplay is represented through one or two weapons any character can pick up and use would be a pretty fresh take compared to a concept closer to Samsara.
raymoohawk

Post by raymoohawk »

not sure if youre being sarcastic or not, but i do think it would be a fun mod, and its not like the characters cant all have theyre own game play, gmota guy, hae lin, they all have theyre own different gameplay in theyre mods
Seidolon

Post by Seidolon »

Is anybody planning on creating a modern remake of Heretic's episode one? If so, please let me know! I would love to be a part of this! If not, someone should start organizing a team. I would love to make very detailed heretic episode 1 maps!!!!!!!!

I also agree with Xeotroid's idea posted above (my idea originally).
Kontra Kommando

Post by Kontra Kommando »

I would like to make a game similar to my aliens game, but with something of my own original creation. Here is what I am proposing as the main antagonist of the game; the Blattodeaspaien, a giant Cockroach apex predator. I would like to call the mod, "Roaches".
Zanieon
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Zanieon »

Lately i've been thinking in somewhat bring some guys from movies being skilled with weapons and tactics as Doom guy is but not overhyped appealing like Riddick or something of the kind, those are:

John MccLane (Die Hard ~ Bruce Willis)
Frank Moses (RED ~ Bruce Willis)
John Wick (John Wick ~ Keanu Reeves)
Bryan Mills (Taken ~ Liam Neeson)

Damn, imagine what those 4 can do together, rofl
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Nah, you know what? We need more Bruce Willis in Doom. Let's bring in Korban Dallas and Hudson Hawk. =P
Zanieon
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Zanieon »

Well, maybe Hudson then, Korben is from the Future so if we include him, we need include Douglas Quaid from Total Recall (Colin Farrell from the 2012 version would fit better for this) and John Anderton (Minority Report ~ Tom Cruise).
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

I think also that somebody like Van Damme (TimeCop) and, of course, Vin Diesel (Riddick) could fit on a Doomish themed idea, but please no Dolph Lundgren, Chuck Norris, Sylvester Stallone or Steven Seagal at all, they're too much slow IMHO! :-)
Last edited by Ozymandias81 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Kontra Kommando wrote:
Spoiler:
This remembers to me one of the most creepy story of Kafka: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Metamorphosis

Return to “General”