ZDoom project ideas you have

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
HeXaGoN

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by HeXaGoN »

kevansevans wrote:I kind of want to make an achievements mod for Doom and Doom 2.
That sounds like a neat idea, I'll see where I can get with this.
Carbine Dioxide

Post by Carbine Dioxide »

I have been wanting to make a silent hillish zombie mod with new monsters, weapons and maps, but don't have the coding capabilities to do so.
tsukiyomaru0

Post by tsukiyomaru0 »

After seeing this terrible game going around, I had an idea: Someone remake Five Nights at Freddy's but in (G)ZDoom with some added features like:
1. You CAN leave your office with a flashlight and tablet (to monitor the cameras)
2. The damned fan can be turned off, but that causes the office temperature to go up and may cause the guard to pass out in exhaustion (only to wake up sometime later surrounded by all the animatronics).
2.1. The temperature goes up and down in specific areas if you choose to leave the office.
3. Fear bar. Basically works like Amnesia's hallucination system. The higher the fear bar goes, the more often you will hear or see things that aren't there (And will also cause Animatronics to appears as a shadow with glowing eyes if you are unlucky to see them).
3.1. Said bar should only go up for as long as you are out of the office. Once at the office, the bar goes down.
3.2. Seeing Animatronics outside the office causes them to behave differently: Foxy screeches at you, which causes other animatronics to know they have to go to Pirate Cove, Freddy will max out your fear bar but will stay still, Bonny will slow down and attempt to approach you... And NEVER turn your back to Chica, because she goes faster than Slenderman on sugar rush.
4. Custom Night can be done through an extra option, which also allows you to choose whether or not the animatronics will actually try to kill you or just scare the heck outta you and send you back to the office.
Carbine Dioxide

tsukiyomaru0 wrote:After seeing this terrible game going around, I had an idea: Someone remake Five Nights at Freddy's but in (G)ZDoom with some added features.
as creepy and weird as that sounds, that is a good idea.
proman232
Location: I am everyone, everywhere, anyhow, anyway, anywhere, any-day.

Post by proman232 »

I had an idea once about a TC set in Victorian era London, involving a cabal of demon hunters defending the city. The primary antagonist would be an ancient sorcerer who had been trying to raise hell for centuries. It would involve many different kinds of demons, depending on which part of the city you were in, and the different groups would be hostile to each other. you could also enlist the help of your fellow hunters for a price. Weapons would be hard to come by, and the final battle would be killing the sorcerer before he could sacrifice the queen. Of course, you would have a friendly demon (an oxymoron, I know) captive inside you. It would allow you to steal the powers of other demons to expand your arsenal. For instance, steal the power of a fire demon, and you gain incendiary ammo. It would be very ambitious to say the least. Oh yeah, and no OpenGL. If this gets made, I want to play it, and my s****y laptop can barely handle GoldSrc engine on software rendering. Still, just an idea. I thought it was cool.
Scripten

Post by Scripten »

I'd love to see a mod done in the style of Pirate Doom, with the same amount of love, but with the general aesthetic of a Studio Ghibli film. So something like Laputa, Castle in the Sky, or Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. Of course, it would be a little more based around exploration rather than the other Doom gameplay alternatives. So... something like Phocas Island with less focus on killing things. Honestly, the only reason I see it as a Doom mod is because the 2.5 sprite engine is perfect for that particular art style.

Why can't I make it myself? Mostly time. With the mod I'm working on already taking up almost all my free time as is, starting another would be absolutely ludicrous. :P
raymoohawk

Post by raymoohawk »

i would like it if there was a heaven themed mod that acted as a sequel to the original games. hell is gone, but now its heavens turn to fight the doomguy. the desgins of the new monsters would be inspired by the more wacky heavenly creatures the bible describes such as the cosmic lion thing from revelations
YukiHerz
Global Moderator
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YukiHerz »

I've never read the bible, but hell i would like to shoot the living shit out of demons and angels.

I got the idea to make a mod based on survival horror, of the classic style, including somewhat complex puzzles and a sense of fear, of course, drop the no-weapon bullshit, instead, small firearms and common objects as weapons, to make the players feel like everymen trapped in a nightmare.

The whole mod would be based around Resident Evil Outbreak games, with a mix of Silent Hill and Alone in the Dark.
Carbine Dioxide

HazeBandicoot wrote:I've never read the bible, but hell i would like to shoot the living shit out of demons and angels.

I got the idea to make a mod based on survival horror, of the classic style, including somewhat complex puzzles and a sense of fear, of course, drop the no-weapon bullshit, instead, small firearms and common objects as weapons, to make the players feel like everymen trapped in a nightmare.

The whole mod would be based around Resident Evil Outbreak games, with a mix of Silent Hill and Alone in the Dark.
that sounds amazing! I love Resident Evil Outbreak!
Trance

Post by Trance »

tsukiyomaru0 wrote:After seeing this terrible game going around, I had an idea: Someone remake Five Nights at Freddy's but in (G)ZDoom with some added features like:
1. You CAN leave your office with a flashlight and tablet (to monitor the cameras)
2. The damned fan can be turned off, but that causes the office temperature to go up and may cause the guard to pass out in exhaustion (only to wake up sometime later surrounded by all the animatronics).
2.1. The temperature goes up and down in specific areas if you choose to leave the office.
3. Fear bar. Basically works like Amnesia's hallucination system. The higher the fear bar goes, the more often you will hear or see things that aren't there (And will also cause Animatronics to appears as a shadow with glowing eyes if you are unlucky to see them).
3.1. Said bar should only go up for as long as you are out of the office. Once at the office, the bar goes down.
3.2. Seeing Animatronics outside the office causes them to behave differently: Foxy screeches at you, which causes other animatronics to know they have to go to Pirate Cove, Freddy will max out your fear bar but will stay still, Bonny will slow down and attempt to approach you... And NEVER turn your back to Chica, because she goes faster than Slenderman on sugar rush.
4. Custom Night can be done through an extra option, which also allows you to choose whether or not the animatronics will actually try to kill you or just scare the heck outta you and send you back to the office.
Congratulations on letting the entire point of that game pass miles over your head.

I do honestly hope someone makes this so they can see what these design decisions of yours do to make the game boring as shit.
tsukiyomaru0

Post by tsukiyomaru0 »

Trance wrote:
tsukiyomaru0 wrote:After seeing this terrible game going around, I had an idea: Someone remake Five Nights at Freddy's but in (G)ZDoom with some added features like:
Congratulations on letting the entire point of that game pass miles over your head.

I do honestly hope someone makes this so they can see what these design decisions of yours do to make the game boring as shit.
No, I realized the game is shit-tier yet people love something that was obviously based of a tutorial game, just with reworked art. Besides, there are better "point and click" games that are made IN FLASH and won't get repetitive after stage 1.

5N@F is just another Flappy Bird wannabee, and is succeeding at that.
Trance

Post by Trance »

The amount of wrong in that post is so concentrated that I'm convinced you've either never played it or are simply exaggerating to have the last word.

Five Nights at Freddy's is brilliant. It's a breath of fresh air in an amateur game arena choked by terrible Slenderman and Amnesia ripoffs, with an original gameplay concept and setting, terrific art direction, and a successful attempt to reconnect with the spirit of the "almost-reality" slasher-horror feel of those famous films of the '80s and '90s. It's an example to the vast sea of amateur devs out there on how to do jumpscares that work -- a genuine build-up of tension is a vital prerequisite. That's hard to do correctly.

Added to that is the technical challenge the dev overcame to make the game in that engine: Multimedia Fusion 2 doesn't do real 3D, so all the graphics assets and animations are 2D sprites painstakingly pre-rendered, with all the lighting and perspective considerations handled masterfully and seamlessly.

FNAF isn't a long game, or a complicated one, but it's a triumph of good game design and originality with a ton of style. Flappy Bird it ain't. To suggest the two are similar in quality or work put in just highlights how little you've actually looked into it.
tsukiyomaru0

Post by tsukiyomaru0 »

Trance wrote:The amount of wrong in that post is so concentrated that I'm convinced you've either never played it or are simply exaggerating to have the last word.

Five Nights at Freddy's is brilliant. It's a breath of fresh air in an amateur game arena choked by terrible Slenderman and Amnesia ripoffs, with an original gameplay concept and setting, terrific art direction, and a successful attempt to reconnect with the spirit of the "almost-reality" slasher-horror feel of those famous films of the '80s and '90s. It's an example to the vast sea of amateur devs out there on how to do jumpscares that work -- a genuine build-up of tension is a vital prerequisite. That's hard to do correctly.

Added to that is the technical challenge the dev overcame to make the game in that engine: Multimedia Fusion 2 doesn't do real 3D, so all the graphics assets and animations are 2D sprites painstakingly pre-rendered, with all the lighting and perspective considerations handled masterfully and seamlessly.

FNAF isn't a long game, or a complicated one, but it's a triumph of good game design and originality with a ton of style. Flappy Bird it ain't. To suggest the two are similar in quality or work put in just highlights how little you've actually looked into it.
Are you gonna argue with me? Really?

i'll do it off thread as to not derail it.
Trance

Post by Trance »

There's no need to continue it. I've said what I needed to say. Go ahead and make your FNAF remake with your changes, and see for yourself how awful it turns out.
tsukiyomaru0

Post by tsukiyomaru0 »

*sigh* You insist on that...

On other stuff... Idea: "Dementium: The Ward" for GZDoom. Might be possible, right?

Return to “General”