WWHC-Diaz + (NEW!) The VR Missions (help wanted!)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

DoomRater wrote:Wow, I would have done something more like "draw four 10's and draw a 2" for the life bar, so that only two would be needed at any point...
That's 5 HudMessages. Four 10's and a 2. Though given that the health is out of 50 pixels in this specific case, it actually would only ever max out at five HudMessages with this setup.
Risen wrote:Given that the bars draw to the side of the screen, you could use a single 50px wide graphic and change only its offset.

I didn't look at your example, just looking at weasel's screenshot.
They're not quite at the edge. Each bar has room for an image on the left to represent what it is. Though... it wouldn't be a big deal to switch that to the right of the bars.

In addition, I can perhaps use this idea with the clip ammo bars on the bottom of the screen.
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

I despise custom huds. I ripped out the code in Simplicy just to play it with the regular hud.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

You're going to be able to toggle this one. Guaranteed.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Cutmanmike, people like you are the reason why I asked Zippy to let the player toggle this one.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Zippy wrote:
DoomRater wrote:Wow, I would have done something more like "draw four 10's and draw a 2" for the life bar, so that only two would be needed at any point...
That's 5 HudMessages. Four 10's and a 2. Though given that the health is out of 50 pixels in this specific case, it actually would only ever max out at five HudMessages with this setup.
No, it's one HudMessage drawing four 10 bars in a row. You need five lines like this (one for each possible length of 10) and you check between them.
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

wildweasel wrote:Cutmanmike, people like you are the reason why I asked Zippy to let the player toggle this one.
Oops sorry, I thought I was posting this in a thread eriance made...
Risen

Post by Risen »

Zippy wrote:They're not quite at the edge. Each bar has room for an image on the left to represent what it is. Though... it wouldn't be a big deal to switch that to the right of the bars.
That's not a problem, because you just set your hudmessage IDs so the icon prints on top and adjust the offset accordingly. It's only be a problem if there are translucent bits to the left where you could see the game.

If you did it this way you'd have to do something about widescreen mode.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Risen wrote:That's not a problem, because you just set your hudmessage IDs so the icon prints on top and adjust the offset accordingly. It's only be a problem if there are translucent bits to the left where you could see the game.

If you did it this way you'd have to do something about widescreen mode.
True. Another good idea. With regards to widescreen, I wouldn't be able to test it. I suppose the very fact that SetHudSize is being used to set a 4:3 ratio complicates that in all sorts of ways. Technically speaking, since the graphics are aligned on the left, that particular case wouldn't be much of a problem. Unfortunately, I think I'm going to make widescreen a secondary (or probably ignored) priority since I can't even test it.

No, it's one HudMessage drawing four 10 bars in a row. You need five lines like this (one for each possible length of 10) and you check between them.
If I'm getting what you're saying correctly, it's basically something like:

Code: Select all

if( tensNeeded == 1 )
{
  HudMessage( s:"A"; // yadda yadda... 
}
else if ( tensNeeded == 2 )
{
  HudMessage( s:"AA"; // yadda yadda... or is it s:"A", s:"A"; ?
}
else if ( tensNeeded == 3 )
{
  HudMessage( s:"AAA"; // yadda yadda...
} // etc.
and personally, I wouldn't want to code it like that. Certainly a very valid (and more direct, really) approach, but I prefer the structure of it as it is now. Conceptually at least. So long as this is just a small hobby thing, the stakes aren't exactly high, I'm not feeling the need to do R&D to figure out maximum efficiency, etc. Having it work without serious efficiency problems and having a good time making it are my goals, with all due respect to Mr. wildweasel.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

I'd use case switches but yeah, the structure is right.

Two more things: Zippy, you can test widescreen mode by using a windowed resolution. Weasel, why use two ACS numbers for setting the player speed? You could use one and pass the speed multiplier to the script instead, which would allow faster tweaking of the speeds and possibly multiple speeds for different ironsight guns should you make em.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Could you write up an example script for me? It's a miracle that I could get the scripts working as-is. Took me about three tries to get something that actually compiled/worked.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Sure.

Script 357 (int movespeed)
{
SetActorProperty(0,APROP_Speed,movespeed/100);
}

That should do it, I think. 100 should be normal speed.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

I have an idea that I'd like to get feedback on before I bother implementing it...

As the RPK stands, it's not especially realistic - not being able to fire at all without the bipod down, and not being able to move with the bipod extended (and it being completely irrelevant whether you're crouched or not).

My idea is to make it feel more like the Mauser's - you can fire without setting it up, but this presents severe recoil and reduced accuracy. Setting up the gun, i.e. shouldering it, slows Diaz to half speed while idle, and 1/4 speed while firing, but makes the gun fire as accurately as it does now.

Does anybody think that this would unbalance the game too much?

Also, I'm planning on implementing the view kick feature from Hideous Destructor - who originally wrote the scripts for that, and do I have permission to use them in my wad?
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

It would bump it up just a power level, but I muchly like it.
Cptschrodinger

Post by Cptschrodinger »

I'm for it, the RPK is as it stands is incredibly risky to use.

Edit: God, what the fuck was wrong with my sentence structure?
Last edited by Cptschrodinger on Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Risen

Post by Risen »

Zippy wrote:With regards to widescreen, I wouldn't be able to test it.
Sure you can. Use the letterboxed modes.
Zippy wrote:I suppose the very fact that SetHudSize is being used to set a 4:3 ratio complicates that in all sorts of ways.
It blocks out a 4:3 rectangle in the middle and references that. In KDIZD, I used large black boxes to mask out the remaining areas. That was needed for the intermap and credits.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”