Hell-Forged (updated to v1.11 - development paused)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

How do you feel about the difficulty of Hell-Forged Maps on UV (Grandmaster)?

Poll ended at Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:26 am

Too Easy
9%
Somewhat Easy
4%
Just Right
22%
Somewhat Hard
52%
Too Hard
13%
Impossible
No votes

Total votes: 23

mckracken

Re: Demon Eclipse (WIP) - Abandoned

Post by mckracken »

no download link?
the demon eclipse on Doomworld is that the latest beta?
Blox

Post by Blox »

Sad to hear, but I can completely understand you after just taking a look at all those files within it, and that it's very hard to work on something specific for such a long time.

It definitely was a too big project for one individual, especially what with the one and only man team thing going if memory serves.

I'd hope the whole thing doesn't go to the trashcan though, because this is some big stuff to drop and completely abandon 5ever. ;o
Remmirath
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Remmirath »

Sad to hear this. I was really looking forward to it, but I can see where you're coming from. Actually, I'm very surprised that you managed to work on so many resources for this all alone. Kudos to you for that, and thanks for giving the community a handful of great resources. :D
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

Sorry to hear the project's shutting down. I always considered this to be the single-player mod that everyone other single-player mod strives to become.

Eager to see your new project, though.
Xtyfe
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11

Post by Xtyfe »

You're a very creative artist, far more so than anyone in the doom community in my opinion. While your skills in artistry wont get you far in your chosen field of work, your creativity certainly will.

Good luck, I hope you're successful in what you do. Its more than can be said for my future that's for sure :D
printz

Post by printz »

Damn, are you sure it's Abandoned, and not on hold?
kmxexii

Post by kmxexii »

Damn; was looking forward to this. Will there be a final, "incomplete" release for those of us who don't mind playing the unfinished product? I'd greatly appreciate it.
printz

Post by printz »

What about the maps? What about the plot?

Why not try to pass the project to a friend, so he/she can finish the levels at least?
Tapwave
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Tapwave »

printz wrote:What about the maps? What about the plot?

Why not try to pass the project to a friend, so he/she can finish the levels at least?
What if Eriance wants to be done with it and what if you're asking a bit too much from him?
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

Gutted :cry:

This is a sad day in the Doom community, although it's safe to say with the numerous revisions and restarts that, as an entirely one-man project, this was always a possibility.

Good luck for the future with your graduation and other projects. Hopefully we haven't seen the last of you, but rest assured that your work on DE won't be in vain.

*cue the vultures :P
printz

Post by printz »

terranova wrote: What if Eriance wants to be done with it and what if you're asking a bit too much from him?
I just hope he isn't rushing with this decision, that's all.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

Eriance has stated that he has far higher priorities in life than working on DE anymore, and that is has been unsatisfactory as of late working on it. sometimes you need to set your priorities straight in life; as much as i (and lots of others) wanted DE to see completion one day, Eri's priorities as of now far exceed that of working on a mod he is not particularly satisfied with working on, anymore.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

One last beta with all the latest stuff will be uploaded once I complete the near-finished stuff. In all, episodes 1-2 will be fully playable. Although I really wanted to redo some of the later Ep2 maps, no motivation comes to me for DE anymore. I've yet to really playtest the unfinished secret map for EP2, and I'm not even motivated to finish it. Needless to say, Episode 3 won't be a reality until I have a lot more time to 3D model the other 20 monsters I would need, as well as draw the hundreds of textures I would need for each of the 6-themed maps. Episode 3 might have been better off as it's own mod. :P

The issue with DE is it's original intent. When I started it almost 7 years ago, I had almost no doom-editing experience outside pixel editing sprites. DE was originally just something I would do for practice and fun to gain the experience I lacked. As such, every time I make something in DE, it would immediately antiquate everything else I've made before due to the progress I make. I'm quite fanatical about keeping my stuff consistent at the highest quality I can make, as such, this obsessive compulsive behavior prompts me to remake everything that shows an significant amount of quality disparity from the newest stuff. I've gone through some 2-3 iterations of the sprites and maps already, and I've now realized it's not practical and it will never get finished. It is best to take everything I've learned and started something new, rather than the redo the old stuff over and over.
Last edited by Amuscaria on Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hellstorm Archon
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Hellstorm Archon »

Wow, this is probably the saddest news I've heard since the deaths of Neil Armstrong and Micheal Clarke Duncan (and to a lesser extent, the death of Skulltag and a very prominent Doomer who worked on Alien Vendetta, MAP20 as a famous example), but considering the weight of such an ambitious project on one person, this is probably understandable.

Demon Eclipse was probably one of the most, if not the most, outstanding single-player mod in recent Doom memory. It currently has some of the most influential resources that any mod could have. It's such a shame it got cut short, but will live on in many mods, and possibly even in Doom 4. Eriance, we all wish you well and hope this won't be your last visit in the Doom community.

R.I.P. Demon Eclipse (2005-2012)
The Mod That Almost Was
ProjectAngel

Post by ProjectAngel »

Shoot. This had the chance to become one of, if not THE, best Doom WADs of all time. Kinda sad that it has to be shut down.

Understandable, though. You've got a lot going on in your life, and that requires a lot more attention than this. That, and working on such a massive project alone must have taken a lot out of you.

I would have loved to see your take on the remaining weapons, though. The weapon designs of Demon Eclipse are what got me hooked.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”