Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Hideous Destructor [last update dated July 28, 2014]

Post by Matt »

I should note that if you time your forward leaps correctly you can completely avoid most of the stepping slowdown. Yes, this does mean leaping down a flight of stairs may be better than just moving down the stairs - I'll think of some way around that eventually.
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

I'll also point out that kicking and lunging at the same time is more efficient and effective than sprinting. I have not mentioned it up to this point in case you somehow hadn't found out.
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Which controls are those? If you mean unarmed altfire+forward+space I find that the stamina runs out super quickly so it doesn't seem that much different.
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

What I mean is it's better for darting into cover or over gaps.
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

Vaecrius wrote:I should note that if you time your forward leaps correctly you can completely avoid most of the stepping slowdown. Yes, this does mean leaping down a flight of stairs may be better than just moving down the stairs - I'll think of some way around that eventually.
To be fair, freerunners tend to completely skip stairs and just jump over them for that exact reason, so at least it's grounded in reality. At least if you have fall damage on you can't do that for ridiculously large flights of stairs.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Is falling its own damage type? I can add a general check to see if at any moment there has been a sudden and drastic change in the player's velocity and implementing pain and fatigue based on that (which would also cover a running leap into a wall, being knocked back by a blast, etc.) but that would involve calculating the player's velocity in ACS every single tic which seems a bit bloaty.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

I don't think a simple velocity calculation loop would slow things up that much, but you could probably get away with up to 8 tics. Not instant, but ~1/4 a second is still pretty fast.

8-)
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

Vaecrius wrote:Is falling its own damage type? I can add a general check to see if at any moment there has been a sudden and drastic change in the player's velocity and implementing pain and fatigue based on that (which would also cover a running leap into a wall, being knocked back by a blast, etc.) but that would involve calculating the player's velocity in ACS every single tic which seems a bit bloaty.
I'm not sure about this. Lots of doom maps operate on the assumption that the player has legs composed of some kind of impact-absorbing gelatin.
Matt

Post by Matt »

I implemented it last night in my local copy. Seems to work OK. It's nothing like the regular falling damage, but instead a very nominal amount of damage but your fatigue spikes and you're forced to slow down. The effect is mitigated if you are unarmed, or berserk, or both. (Imay add have added crouching as a mitigator as well.)
Matt

Post by Matt »

Question: does anyone actually use burst on either the ZM66 or the SMG? I'm considering ditching it on the latter.
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

I use burst fire on the ZM66 because of the overheating. I do not use it on the SMG.
Big C

Post by Big C »

I use burst fire on the SMG for ammo conservation. I'm starting to dislike it on the ZM66 due to the recoil being surprisingly kicky, despite ostensibly being intended to reduce kick.
Matt

Re: Hideous Destructor [last update dated August 4, 2014]

Post by Matt »

Leaving them alone for this NEW UPDATE! then.

Changes:
  • Restored the cyberdemon's spamminess.
  • Added a nominal "falling damage" whenever you fall or slam into a wall (or monster!) too hard. Just a bit of pain and fatigue, no broken bones just yet. Mitigated when you are unarmed, have your weapon lowered, are crouching, or are berserk.
  • Got rid of that downward dip when you take damage, as otherwise you'd fall into a feedback loop and die from touching anything too fast.
  • Increased maximum fatigue level to 200.
  • Removed the momentum inheritance from the hand grenades. Problem was that they'd still end up spawning too low if you took a running start before throwing it off a ledge (e.g. Map15 starting room).
  • More tweaks to corpse-stumbling.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

This update looks quite good...especially the removal of the damage dip :twisted: (which sounds like some kind of RPG food item that's only purpose is to harm you)

I don't know if you've tweaked the HUD since the update that changed ammo bars, but I'd recommend moving the SSG's right shell closer to the left.
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

How about giving the chainsaw blade durability? Or overheating, something like that. Maybe both? Use it too much and the thing breaks. Gotta pick up a new one.
Or give it limited gas.

Seems like something like that would fit with HD.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”