Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Medicris

Re: Hideous Destructor [last update dated November 17, 2014]

Post by Medicris »

Crudux Cruo wrote:Well, after playing with the marksman, after 10 levels i just got fed up with the tiny ass scope. its great for popping around corners and one shotting something, but the scope is to small. coupled with how jittery the mouse movement is, its just is impossible to really snipe well with that weapon. if it had a bigger scope i could deal with it but its just not working, sorry. my attemps to dig into the ACS and decorate code have been futile; perhaps im just not smart enough to understand the sophisticated code, but untill the scope is made larger its just not playable. other than that, I love everything about the rifle. the damage is right, the accuracy is right, the way it works is right. the scope is wrong, and thats that.
I don't really agree. The scope is the same size and design as the Liberator's (which is quite nice and precise in comparison to the ZM66's), and in general you don't really want to be using the scope for anything more than what's difficult to see through irons. Like, talking from one end of Doom 2 Industrial Zone to another, or across The Courtyard. Personally, I'm comfy with irons until the thing I want to shoot is only a few pixels in size. Oh, and aim with irons before swapping to the scope to prevent needless searching.

Rule of thumb: if a humanoid's head and torso is too large to fit in the scope view, it's not in the intended range of the scope.

One thing I do notice with the irons on that gun is that shooting at zombies from window to window in E1M1 only works if I aim low. http://i.imgur.com/2v6H873.jpg

I still never knew what that little yellow speck on the ammo bar is supposed to be either, but it's been there for a long time. Is it intentional?
Last edited by Medicris on Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Going to have to agree with Cruo here. If the scope has one static magnification that's a good deal higher than that of the ZM66's and Liberator's, then the scope should be a tad larger. If (G)ZDoom had finer mouse look for extreme ranges, I wouldn't see it being an issue, but since that's not the case, the rifle feels more jittery than the aforementioned rifles. Better for scoping out a situation though, I'll give it that.

EDIT: Medicris, that's the chamber indicator (7.76MM casing)...but I have no clue what it's doing on the SMG. I thought it was only for the Liberator (which requires you to manually chamber a round), the shotgun (the same case as the Liberator, but obviously more crucial to your success with the weapon) and the Boss rifle. It used to be pencil thin for me too until I updated to a different GZ build (pencil thin problem that Big C was having with world casings, but only affected me with the chamber indicator). It's really strange how the casings seem to behave differently for everybody. Everything on my end is running like intended, just for clarification.
Medicris

Post by Medicris »

Lava Grunt wrote:EDIT: Medicris, that's the chamber indicator (7.76MM casing)...but I have no clue what it's doing on the SMG. I thought it was only for the Liberator (which requires you to manually chamber a round), the shotgun (the same case as the Liberator, but obviously more crucial to your success with the weapon) and the Boss rifle. It used to be pencil thin for me too until I updated to a different GZ build (pencil thin problem that Big C was having with world casings, but only affected me with the chamber indicator). It's really strange how the casings seem to behave differently for everybody. Everything on my end is running like intended, just for clarification.
Ah, okay. I just never paid much attention to it, just kept track of chambered rounds in my head.

As for the scope, I can agree the "notched" aiming is noticeable, but I just dealt with it by making needed small adjustments by strafing.
Big C

Post by Big C »

...Huh, Lava Grunt's right. I didn't realize until now that the SMG didn't have a magazine-plus-one-in-the-chamber mechanism.

Also, you can achieve the same effect with the ZM66 (50 + 1!) but you have to sacrifice at least part of a magazine to get it.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Or fire 49/50 shots of a fresh mag and then hit reload :D

Would be cool to see the pistol and ZM rifles get the indicator as well.
Big C

Post by Big C »

The ZM66 rifles don't really need a 'chambered' indicator, though---you can infer it at a glance by looking at the ammo readout and seeing how many bullets are in the mag.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Consistency's sake for weapons that aren't explosives or cell powered.
Big C

Post by Big C »

Fair enough!

EDIT: Hey Vaecrius, did you base the Vulcanette off of this?
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

No plans on changing the status quo re: chamber indicator, unless I go over and redo all the weapons to track the chamber separately the way the Hunter, Liberator and Boss do.

Meanwhile I need to figure out how on earth I broke the Slayer auto-refill ACS...
FDARI

Post by FDARI »

Vaecrius wrote:Far as I can tell only drowning damage ignores armour.
I don't know if this is applicable to your situation, but you can modify/create damage types that ignore armour. So if you want/need/can use a completely new damage type for a very specific purpose, you might be able to.

[wiki]Custom_damage_types[/wiki]: See Damagetype declarations.
To do armour-bypassing damage on wallcrash:

Code: Select all

DamageType PainInTheWall { NoArmor }
and make a wallcrash deal "PainInTheWall"-damage.
Big C

Post by Big C »

On the subject of environmental damage, apparently HideouslyDoomedGuy can fall the height of the Empire State Building and LIVE after hitting the ground, with only some easily-shrugged-off moderate bruising to show for his troubles.

I'm not sure whether this is jarringly unrealistic to an extreme, or just amusing.
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

:shock: I had no idea that existed! That's exactly what I need for this - and it'll probably take me some time to understand further ramifications for HD.

What I'll probably do now is redefine falling damage to ignore armour and redo the falling damage obit to general impacts. (How do you do obits for custom damage types anyway?)

@Big C: Far too many maps (even canon ones - Map15Map06 and E3M6, for example) require the player to fall heights that would put most** of us in a motorized wheelchair or a coffin IRL. This is exacerbated by the fact that your movement speed is often so slow that you can trigger a lower-platform line without having the momentum to actually be on the platform before it descends to what IRL would be a very dangerous height - such things are clearly designed for vanilla player speeds and would never have been made like this if the building had been designed for real people, so there had to be a concession for the most basic playability. [EDIT: To elaborate on why I make this consideration when HD is basically unplayable with any monster closet: you can respawn and re-take the closet room from a better position, while a map in which your only route will kill you would not even allow that.]

I don't see the connection to the Japanese machine gun. Why that in particular?
Last edited by Matt on Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big C

Post by Big C »

Vaecrius wrote: @Big C: Far too many maps (even canon ones - Map15 and E3m6, for example) require the player to fall heights that would put most** of us in a motorized wheelchair or a coffin IRL. This is exacerbated by the fact that your movement speed is often so slow that you can trigger a lower-platform line without having the momentum to actually be on the platform before it descends to what IRL would be a very dangerous height - such things are clearly designed for vanilla player speeds and would never have been made like this if the building had been designed for real people, so there had to be a concession for the most basic playability. [EDIT: To elaborate on why I make this consideration when HD is basically unplayable with any monster closet: you can respawn and re-take the closet room from a better position, while a map in which your only route will kill you would not even allow that.]

I don't see the connection to the Japanese machine gun. Why that in particular?
RE: Falling far: Ahhhhh, okay.

RE: Machinegun: The similar concept for the ammo feed (feeding the gun from multiple infantry rifle magazines for the sake of simplicity and easier logistics).
Matt

Post by Matt »

::is no longer in office flipping back and forth between ZDoom forums and reviewing recent court cases::

::rereads::

I had no idea such a thing even existed in real life! :shock:
Big C

Post by Big C »

Yep! The Vulcanette's apparently a lot more reliable, though, at the expense of A) being heavy as Hell from being necessarily overengineered, and B) needing a battery.

I still lament that you never gave the Vulcanette a design like you did in that one Pimp My Gun thread. It looked cooler and also made more sense as to how you aimed it (how do you brace a spinning barrel on anything without giving it an external 'sheath', anyway?)

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”